Search for content in message boards

garfield school, shamokin, pa.

garfield school, shamokin, pa.

Posted: 7 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2002 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: mccaig
hey fellow old timers!
anyone attend garfield school in shamokin?
seeking pictures and anecdotes 1930s and 1940s.
thanks.

Re: garfield school, shamokin, pa.

Posted: 26 Jun 2001 5:09PM GMT
I attended the Garfield School in Shamokin during WW-II. It has been torn down along with all of the other elementry schools in Shamokin except the Washington. A church bought the building to hold services.
I don't recall anyone with your surname. Where on Bunker Hill did you live? I lived at the top of the steps on Cameron St.

Re: garfield school, shamokin, pa.

Posted: 26 Jun 2001 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: mccaig, steitz, yoch, wolverton, hepner
hi. i didn't live in shamokin but my family did. i believe the last address for them was 1s. 7th or 1s 8th.
my great grandparents, arthur and jane mccaig had 12 children.
fannie helen mccaig married henry steitz, the manager of yoch bakery.
sarah (sally) mccaig married billy yoch, the owner of yoch bakery.
isabel mccaig taught in the shamokin schools.
after billy yoch's disappearance, henry steitz took over full operations of the bakery and the mccaigs' address seems linked to the bakery/residence thereafter.
thank you so much for responding. kate mccaig

Yoch's Bakery, Shamokin, PA

Bruce T. Hall (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2002 6:53PM GMT
Yoch's Bakery was located on the SE corner of Chestnut and 7th Sts. (1S. 7th) in Shamokin. I was married in the Grace Lutheran Church directly across the street.

Re: Yoch's Bakery, Shamokin, PA

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 11:22PM GMT
Thank you; that clears up my confusion between 1s. 7th and 1s. 8th.

When did you live in Shamokin? ...just wondering if you might have known any of my family...
They, however, were Presbyterians, not Lutherans.
Do you remember where the Presbyterian Church was?

Kate

Re: Shamokin, PA

Bruce T. Hall (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2002 1:36PM GMT
I lived in Shamokin from birth until I graduated from Shamokin High School in 1954 and joined the Navy. Shamokin remained my official place of residence until I graduated from Penn State in 1962 and took up residence in State College. PA.

The Presbyterian Church in Shamokin is (was?) located on the NE corner of Sunbury and Liberty Streets.

Posted: 27 Mar 2002 8:58PM GMT
Dear Bruce, I attended the Garfield School from 1939 through 1945 (rang the school bell with the rest of my class on V-E Day). I graduated from SHS in 1951 - lived on Cameron Street at 722. I left Shamokin after college and marriage and have lived in New Jersey since then. My maiden name was Waldroff. maizie@nac.net

Bruce Hall (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2002 1:25PM GMT
Laura
Believe it or not, we lived about two blocks apart. I lived at 909 E. Cameron St. -- the big brown bungalo at the top of the steps. Graduated from Shamokin High in 1954. After a hitch in the Navy and college on the GI Bill, I too married and left Shamokin, making my home first in the State College, PA area and then in Annapolis, MD.
Bruce

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: mccaig, steitz, yoch, wolverton, hepner
Did anyone know (of) my great aunt teacher, Isabel McCaig?
...or have school pictures?

In researching my family genealogy, I am also interested in their lives...risking, of course, discovering horse theives and marourders.
The last McCaig in Shamokin died in the 1980s.
Kate McCaig :-)

Re: McCaigs of Shamokin

Posted: 31 Mar 2002 4:36PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2006 4:25PM GMT
The followin burials are recorded in the records of cemeteries located in and around Shamokin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions