Search for content in message boards

Susanna Estey married Nathaniel Wright

Susanna Estey married Nathaniel Wright

Jason Cornelius (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2005 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright and Estey
Hello to all fellow researchers,

I have recently begun to research a branch of my New Brunswick family. I have a Zebulon Wright who married Anna Bloodworth. I know almost nothing about them, but I have been enticed with the possibility that Zebulon Wright may have been the son of Nathaniel Wright and Susanna Estey.

As I've searched on the internet, I've found quite a bit of information on the Estey family, but I've never been able to find any information on Nathaniel and Susanna (Estey) Wright, not even a marriage date. Does anyone know anything about this couple? Did they indeed have children? Right now all that I have are: roughly right place, roughly right time, and the right names. I sure seems likely that Susanna might have named a son Zebulon.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Susanna Estey married Nathaniel Wright

Donald (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2005 12:01AM GMT

hi Jason nothing on Nathaniel &susanna

Zebulon Wright b/abt 1801
Anna Bloodsworth
2 children 1 Matilda Ann Wright b/abt 1837
Kilburn,Victoria CO NB
died Feb21/1863 in Kilburn
married James Inman b/Dec 23/1834
Kilburn,Victoria CO NB
his parents Richard Inman Jr Kent Parish NB
Margaret Murchison b/abt 1805 Isle of Skye
Scotland

Matilda & James Inman had 8 children

Thomas A. Murray (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2005 2:11AM GMT
Since Susanna (Estey) Wright may well be Susannah Estey b. 2UAG1769 (possibly in Rowley, Essex Co., Massachusetts; possibly in Maugerville, now in Sunbury Co., New Brunswick), d/o Zebulon and Mary (Molly) (Brown) Estey; I would think the chances that Zebulon Wright was her son is quite high. (Zebulon came to NB on Capt. Francis Peabody's schooner, 15JAN1765; which is why I suspect Susannah was b. Maugerville, not Rowley.)
One web site on the Estey family does suggest that Nathaniel Wright's wife was this daughter, Susannah, at:
http://www.myfamilyhistory.com/Towne/pafg14.htm#124
It does not, however, list their children. Another, now defunct, site states that Susannah m. 1st Isaac Chase, 2nd Justin Wright.
Nathaniel Wright petitioned for land in Sunbury Co (1785 twice) and in Queens Co. (1791, 1793, 1802.) In 1791, he petitioned with Nehemiah 'Easty', whom, I believe, was a s/o Zebulon Esty; therefore probably Susannah's brother. If Nehemiah was he b. ca. 1794, d. 30JUL1877, he ended up in Carleton Co., but I gather that was a son.
It would seem that Nathaniel Wright at least knew the family of Zebulon Estey; and there is some opinion that he married Zebulon's daughter; so it seems reasonable to suspect; if location and timing seem right, that Zebulon may have been named after his maternal grandfather.
A web site at:
http://www.jenngen.com/ne/fam00243.htm
states as much, and lists amongst Zebulon Wright's children, Zebedee Wright, who was in Carleton Co. in 1871. Another son, Thomas Wright presumably is he who ended up in Arthurette, Victoria Co. I suspect I have met some descendants in Plaster Rock, years ago.
Since Nathaniel Wright came in 1783 as a single man on the "Two Sisters", with Uriah Wright (with a wife and 7 children) I would suspect he was Uriah's son. Since they were from New York; I would suspect they were connected with the Westchester Co. Wright's; especially around North Castle. Uriah, however, seems to have come from South East or Frederick Precincts, Fishkill, Dutchess Co., NY. However, in an indictment against him and others (20OCT1776), the others include names: Brundage, Merritt, Fowler, Theal and 'Dickeson', which I would associate with Westchester Co.

Thomas

Re: Susanna Estey & Nathaniel Wright

Susan Wyllie (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2005 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: Estey, Wright
from "Early New Brunswick Probate Records" by R. Wallace Hale:

Nathaniel WRIGHT

parish of Queensbury, York Co. Farmer. Will undated, proved June 8, 1824.

Wife Susannah estate for life. Son Judah Wright land. Sons Justus Wright and Nehemiah Wright each 140 pounds. Two daughters Elizabeth and Sarah each 40 pounds. Mentions three young sons Zebulon, Thomas and James. Wife Susannah sole executrix.

Witnesses: John Cliff sr., Nehemiah B. Estey, Michael McNally.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zebulon ESTEY

parish of Gagetown, Queens Co. Blacksmith. Will dated Sept. 8, 1806, proved Nov. 1, 1806.

Wife Molloy use of two rooms in my house, all household furniture and the profits of one-third of my land and stock. Son Nehemiah 10 shillings as I have given him "two hundred and 50 acres of land in Queen's borough, and part of a Lot of Land in Sheffield and the benefit of a Trade and Tools." Son Zebulon 50 pounds in a sloop. To his sons Samuel and Hollon Estey 5 pounds each or one cow when they reach age fourteen. Son Thomas the other two-thirds of my land and stock together with his mother's third at her decease, and my blacksmith tools, he paying his sisters the sums I shall hereafter mention.
Each of my daughters 40 pounds including what they had at their Marriage and since, a true statement may be found of what they have had an what remains to be paid in a sheet annexed to this will. Son Thomas Estey and David Currie executors.

Witnesses: John Clark, Silvanus Plumer, Elijah Estabrook.

Attachment to the will lists balances to Molloy Estey, who married Amos Estey, 7-14-06; Susannah Estey who married Nathaniel WRIGHT, 4-5-00; Bettey Brown Estey who married Samuel Upton, 16-13-06; Dolley Estey who married David Currey, 21-7-03; Ruth Fisk Estey who married Abraham Brown, nothing; Lucy Estey who married Richard Barker, 8-14-10; Phebe Estey 40 pounds when she is in want of it or when she is married.

Inventory of real and personal estate, dated Dec. 11, 1806, valued at 1,107 pounds by Benjamin Newcomb and James Cowperthwaite.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maugerville, Sunbury Co. vital records list these children, born to Zebulon and Molley Estey:

Molley, born July 5, 1767 in Maugerville
Susanna, born April 2, 1769, Maugerville
Nehemiah, born FEb. 11, 1771 in Maugerville

Joshua B. Miller (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2005 8:24PM GMT
Mr. Murray,

Re: "However, in an indictment against him and others (20OCT1776), the others include names: Brundage, Merritt, Fowler, Theal and 'Dickeson', which I would associate with Westchester Co."

Yes, these names originally are names from Westchester County, but these and other Westchester County families began to settle in the northern reaches of Westchester County and Dutchess County well before 1776. So it is not inconsistant that Uriah Wright is from South East or Frederick Precincts, Dutchess Co., NY, and others he is associated with are family names of Westchester County.

I would like your help on something of interest to me in your post, that is, the indictment dated 20 Oct. 1776 entered against Brundage, Merritt, Fowler, Theal, Dickeson, and others. Do you have the whole text of this document and/or a reference to where I can find it. Post it if you are able. I'm a Westchester County researcher presently working on the Theall family and 20 Oct. 1776 indictment is essential to my research since it is the Loyalists of this family that I am most interested in at this time.

Thanks

Jason Cornelius (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2005 11:30PM GMT
Thank you so much for your response which I just now discovered (I've been away from things for awhile). It sure does feel good to me to assume that Zebulon Wright was the grandson of Zebulon Estey. However, I'm going to continue my search.

Thanks,
Jason

RAY ADAMS (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2005 7:55PM GMT
DON RUSHBROOK( FREDERICTON,N.B. ) HAS JUST PUBLISHED HIS BOOK " DESCENDANTS OF NATHANIEL WRIGHT". NATHANIEL MD. SUSANNAH "BETSY" ESTEY (b.APR 2,1769). SHE WAS THE DAU. OF ZEBULON ESTEY AND MARY "MOLLY"BROWN. NATHANIEL AND SUSANNAH HAD (9) CHILDREN: JUSTUS EARLE, NEHEMIAH, JUDAH A., ZEBULON , THOMAS, MARY, ELIZABETH, JAMES AND SARAH. UNFORTUNATELY, DON DID NOT FIND OUR HIRAM WRIGHT, WHO MARRIED ICELAND DICKINSON.

Cathy Osgood (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2005 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: wright
Does anyone knpw how I can get a copy of this book, Descendants of Nathaniel Wright by Don Rushbrook

RAY ADAMS (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2005 1:51AM GMT
DON RUSHBROOK 146 CAMBRIDGE CRESCENT, FREDERICTON,NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA E3B 4N9 E-MAIL: gredon@nbnet.nb.ca PH(506) 455-8526

Cal Miller (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2005 6:45AM GMT
See mention of Nat Wright
Following is the will of Zebulon Estey:
Zebulon* ESTEY , , was born on 14 Dec 1742 in Rowley, Essex Co., MA.
Zebulon* ESTEY and Mary* 'Molly' BROWN were married on 8 Aug 1765 in Newburyport, MA.
He signed a will on 8 Sep 1806 in Gagetown, Queens Co., NB. Proven 1 Nov 1806
Wife Molley use of two rooms in my house, all household furniture and the profits of one-third of my land and stock. Son Nehemiah 10 shillings as I have given him" two hundred and fifty acres of land in Queen's borough and part of a Lot of Land in Sheffield and the benefit of a
trade and tools." Son Zebulon 50 pounds in a Sloop. To his sons Samuel and Hollon Estey 5 pounds each or one cow when they reach age 14. Son Thomas the other two-thirds of my land and stock, together with his mother's third at her decease, and my blacksmith tools, he paying his sisters the sums I shall hereafter mention. Each of my daughters 40 pounds including what they had a their marriage and since a true statement may be found of what they have had and what remains to be paid in a sheet annexed to this will. Son Thomas Estey and David Currie executors. Witness John Clark, Silvanus Plumer, Elijah Estabrook. attachment to the will list balances to Molley Estey, who married AMOS Estey 7-12-6, Susannah Estey who married Nat WRIGHT, 4-5-0, Bettey Brown Estey who married Samuel Upton 16-3-6, Dolley Estey who married Abraham Brown nothing, Lucy Estey who married Richard Barker 8-14-10. Phebe Estey 40 pounds when she wants it or when she is married."
Inventory of real and personal estate dated 11 Dec 1806, valued at 1, 107 pounds by Benjamin Newcomb and James Cowperthwaite.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic