Search for content in message boards

Silver - Scotland

Silver - Scotland

Posted: 19 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2002 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: Silver, Leith, Watt, Moir, Torbett, Dey, Mollyson
My family comes from the Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire areas of Scotland. Here is my SILVER family line (the earlier relationships have yet to be confirmed). This line runs through to my grandfather (George Watt Silver) and his siblings-

1. James SILVER b: abt Apr 13, 1701, Dunnotar, Kincardineshire
2. James SILVER b: abt Jan 4, 1742, Dunnotar, Kincardineshire

+Margaret COLY b: abt Sept 11, 1743, Banchory Devenick, Kincardineshire

3. John SILVER b: abt Feb 21, 1768, Banchory Devenick, Kincardineshire

+Margaret MOLLYSON b: Unknown

4. Robert SILVER b: abt Aug 19, 1792, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire

+Margaret DEY b: Apr 30, 1805, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire

5. William SILVER b: abt Mar 4, 1830, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Christian WATT b: Oct 7, 1836, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Christian Ann SILVER b: July 11, 1856, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+George THOMSON (may have settled in Canada)

6. Margaret SILVER b: Sept. 12, 1858, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+William Roberts ROBB ( from Bucksburn, Aberdeenshire)

6. George Watt SILVER (my grandfather) b: Jan 10, 1861, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Elizabeth Moir LEITH b: Jun 20, 1870, Quarries, Dyce, Aberdeenshire, m: Jun 10, 1893, Black Island, Hancock, Maine

6. Sarah Sherett SILVER b: April 3, 1863, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Alexander R. DAVIDSON ( may have been from Glasgow)

5. Robert SILVER b: Aug 21, 1831, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Jane McDONALD b: abt 1837, Peterculter, Aberdeenshire

6. James SILVER b: June 25, 1859, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Margaret SILVER b: Jan 5, 1861, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Jane SILVER b: Jul 10, 1863, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Robert SILVER b: Oct 19, 1865, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Agnes SILVER b: Mar 26, 1867, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Elizabeth SILVER b: abt 1876, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. Elizabeth SILVER b: Abt Feb 24, 1833, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. Margaret SILVER b: abt apr 12, 1835, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. Alexander SILVER b: abt Jan 16, 1837, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. George SILVER b: abt Jan 10, 1839, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Ann GORMAN b: abt 1840, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire

6. Jane Ann SILVER b: Jan 15, 1866, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Margaret SILVER b: Dec. 25, 1867, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Eliza Mearns SILVER b: Mar 2, 1870, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. George SILVER b: abt 1876, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Christiana W. SILVER b: abt 1880, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. Jane SILVER b: abt Jan 20, 1842, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. Mary SILVER b: abt Jul 13, 1845, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Christina Watt SILVER b: February 28, 1863, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. James SILVER b: Apr 11, 1866, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Mary SILVER b: Oct 10, 1869, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Jane SILVER b: Jun 30, 1872, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

5. James SILVER b: abt Sep 12, 1847, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

+Jane FORBES b: abt 1850, Old Machar, Aberdeenshire

6. Mary Munro SILVER b: Feb. 16, 1872, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. William Forbes SILVER b: July 16, 1873, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Margaret SILVER b: abt 1876, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. Samuel SILVER b: abt 1878, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

6. James W. SILVER b: abt 1880, Newhills, Aberdeenshire

If anyone sees a connection, let me know and keep in touch. Corrections readily accepted.

Re: Silver - Scotland

Posted: 20 Jun 2011 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: GLASS BEATTIE McDOUGAL HEADRIDGE SILVER WATT
Hi, my name is Angus Alexander Glass

born Dunbar East Lothian Scotland 1944
Father Alexander GLASS His Father Victor Glass
Mother Betsy REID
Mother Jessie Stweart BEATTIE her father Robert BEATTIE
her mother Margaret LAWSON
Robert BEATTIEs aunt Louisa Ann Roy BEATTIE
married John Silver in 1906 Glasgow.

his parents were George SILVER & Christina SIMPSON

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:50PM GMT

I have found according to the 1911 Census that John Silver
was botn at Marykirk, Kincardine. So was Mary Ann Roy BEATTIE.

I combed thru the records in Edinburgh and did not fine a John Silver birth in Matykirk. Or any sign of the
Patrents George Silver & Christina ms SIMPSON.

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 11:50PM GMT

I have found according to the 1911 Census that John Silver
was botn at Marykirk, Kincardine. So was Mary Ann Roy BEATTIE.

I combed thru the records in Edinburgh and did not fine a John Silver birth in Matykirk. Or any sign of the
Patrents George Silver & Christina ms SIMPSON.

Re: Silver - Scotland. yDNA

Posted: 27 Oct 2011 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: Silver, Silvers
Replying from USA.
We are of a Silver line which likely came from the Yorkshire area east of Liverpool in 1682. Three brothers (James, John & Archibald) and two sisters (Ann and Jane) came together. We believe they came with Quakers on one of William Penn's 53 chartered ships.They settled in Burlington, NJ.

We have several direct line male Silvers dating that time.

However, one other Silver/s who we are in touch with traces his line back to a James Silver from just south of Edinburgh, Scotland He came to this country in the early 1700s and established himself as a fur trader in what became Silver Springs, Pennsylvania.

This Silvers (in Alabama) matches my (male) yDNA very closely. Another Silvers also matches my yDNA to the same degree. He believes that he is descended from the three brothers who arrived in 1682.

We would be very interested in knowing whether any of your direct line male Silvers have had their yDNA tested.
If not, please do so.
To date, we have not found Silver/s in England or Scotland who have had yDNA testing done.

We would love to find out your relationship to us.

If your Silver/s ancestors were closely related to our Silver/s ancestors from 1682, YOUR yDNA will be almost identical to MY yDNA.

As you are probably aware, the male yDNA is passed along almost unchanged to direct line male descendants.

A third Silver/s lives in Washington State. He is the yDNA co-administrator for the Silver Surname Project for Family Tree. Familytree.com
His yDNA shows that he is equally closely related to both myself and the Silvers in Alabama mentioned above.

We have not been able to establish contact with any Silver/s currently living in the UK.

Art Silver
in Virginia, USA

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 1:55AM GMT
i am from the John silver side that came over in 1682. My name is Larry Silver and I live in Iowa. what does it cost for a DNA? We have a lot of information from after they came across, but not much from over there. We were told we came from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Posted: 3 Jan 2012 2:33AM GMT
Surnames: Silver/Silvers
Larry,

Thanks for getting back with me. Happy New Year!

Testing for 67 alleles (markers) costs around $200.
I highly recommend that you test for no few markers than 67.

Please contact Bill Hancock (Silvers) at bhancock@wavecable.com.
He lives near Seattle, and is the Family Tree YNDA co-administrator for the Silver Surname Project for "FTDNA."

We have a direct line to John Silver of the five Silver siblings who came in 1682 to Burlington, NJ. We believe that they came on The Lamb out of Liverpool, part of William Penn's fleet. John's descendants eventually wonund up near Indianapolis by the mid 1830s. We know that other Silvers passed thru there and expect that they are related. Your yDNA testing should help confirm this.

My direct e-mail is bsdcnnew@aol.com

Bill Hancock and I were matched thru yDNA testing. A Morgan Silver in Alabama has also been matched that way. We are each at a genetic distance of 3. Three markers are different of the 67 tested for Bill & me. Morgan Silvers only had 37 markers tested, with 3 being different than mine.

PLEASE get your yDNA tested. We also have little info on the other side of the Atlantic. Please advise where you got the Aberdeen info. Morgan shows descent from a James Silver who is said to have come from a county near Aberdeen. His James founded (or helped) what is now Silver Spring, PA near Harrisburg.

We would love to exchange information with you.

Art Silver
Newport News, VA

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Silver
Hi I am a Silver living just outside Aberdeen, and have some links with names from the OP. My Great Grandfather/Mother were William/Margaret and are, I found out today from my 89 year old uncle, buried at Newhills (Outskirts of Aberdeen). I also have mention of a Margaret Collie (Coly?) in a list of names I received today.

To be honest I haven't done much research on my family tree for some time, and it's just following the conversation I had with my uncle that has prompted me to find this thread.

I intend to go to the church yard at Newhills to see what I find and will post here.

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 3:01AM GMT
Ken,

Thanks for responding.
I'm happy to have made contact with someone there.

Please get as much information as you can from your 89-year old uncle. Every name he has is valuable! The family bible may have lots of information recorded, and he may have hand-me-down stories. Please get all the info you can from him. He may even have a family tree in his records.

I'll have to check where Newhills is. I don't know what you mean by "the OP." That church may have older records too. Ask while you are there.

I'm hoping that you will be able to go back to the late 1600s and early 1700s from records there -- and through genealogy sites. There were five siblings who came together: John, James, Archibald, Anne and Jane. We have no birth records for them, and would love to find someone there who could find these records. If you can refer me to other local Silvers and other genealogical contacts -- especially for Silvers -- I would appreciate it very much.

If you are a direct line male Silver dating from that period, there's a good possibility that we are related. One really good way of determining kinship is to have you do yDNA testing done. yDNA is the male DNA, which is passed along pretty much unchanged from father to son. xDNA is passed from the mother and it is not so easily followed.

If you test, have it done for at least 67 markers/alleles.

If we are closely related, dating from that period, our yDNA will be almost identical.

I and two others have used the FTDNA (family Tree DNA Program) website. There are others too.
The testing company sends out two largish "Q-Tips" and you would rub those Q-Tips between your teeth and your cheeks. Then you mail it in, and the testing company does the testing.

They inform you of any matches and provide you with the names and e-mail addresses of any close matches. Those close matches will also be advised.

If there are other Silver/Silvers there that you can contact regarding genealogy: the more the merrier.
We would love to be in touch with Silver genealogists on your side of the water. Please put them in touch with me and my brother John: silverjohn@sbcglobal.net.

We may have come from Aberdeen, but the ship we think we came on was The Lamb, which departed from Liverpool. Maybe it departed from Aberdeen first.
We also may have been Quakers, since The Lamb was one of 53 ships chartered by William Penn.

We are THIRSTING for information from your side of the water.

One close yDNA match that I have traces his roots to a James Silvers who evidently came from your area in the early 1700s. 1720?

Silver and Silvers were evidently used by the same family and may have changed in one generation and then back in a succeeding generation. So, we view it as the same family.

There are three main groups of Silvers here. The English and Scots came from the 1630s onward, the Germans (oftern SilBer) came starting in the mid-1700s, and the Jewish Silvers came in the early 1900s from Russia, Poland and other places in Eastern Europe. We are definitely not related to the Jewish Silvers. Jewish yDNA is very different from ours.
Not sure about the German Silvers, but we are probably not related to them. No yDNA tests that I know of.

That's about all for now. You can write to me at bscnnew@aol.com or my brother John at silverjohn@sbcglobal.net.

We welcome any Silver correspondence from Silvers there.

I hope you will have yDNA testing done, so that we can find whether we are a close match genetically.

Thanks again for getting in touch with me.
Best regards,

Art Silver
Newport News, VA

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 3:33AM GMT
Ken Silver,

I replied a few minutes ago.

I mis-typed my e-mail address.

It is bsdcnnew@aol.com.

I'd love to correspond with any and all Silver/Silvers on that side of the water.

Art Silver
Newport News, VA USA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions