Search for content in message boards

McCarthy's of Drimoleague

McCarthy's of Drimoleague

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy, Driscoll, Crowley, Kolb
I am the great-great granddaughter of a man named Michael McCarthy who married my great great grandmother named Ellen Driscoll. They married around 1862-ish. (I know this from various documents (marriage and death records of their children)).

They had four girls that I know of - four women who all immigrated to Philadelphia in the 1880's. I know from two of the sister's death certificates that these women were born in County Cork. With birthdates that I have in hand, I have matched these four women to four women in Drimoleague - all born to an Ellen Driscoll and a Michael McCarthy. While dates are not spot on, they are close and the birth order is correct. Margaret, who was my great grandmother, is match.

Hanora b. 20 May 1864
Bridget b. 7 Jun 1865
Julia b. 19 Dec 1867
Margaret b. 9 Apr 1870

On Hanora's baptism certificate, there is a Julia Driscoll, who I believe is likely Ellen's sister. Ellen and Michael never came to the US and I believe Michael was deceased by the 1901 Census. I can't definitively ID Ellen at this point.

In 1917, Bridget welcomed a niece immigrating to Philadelphia. Her name was Hannah Crowley (b. 1894) of Dunmanway, Cork. She eventually married a man named George Kolb in Philadelphia. I need to track down that marriage license and see if I can get parent names. I am pretty sure I have found Hannah Crowley in the 1901 Census as Hanora, the 7 year old child of John and Hanora Crowley, in Dunmanway.

I have checked out the baptism and marriage records for Dunmanway/Drimoleague and vicinity online and am culling online West Cork records. I have done a lot of research up in the Mallow area as well as in County Carlow and elsewhere - this is a new set of data for me...

Do these folks sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions about where I should look for additional info?

Many thanks!
Joann

Re: McCarthy's of Drimoleague

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 4:14PM GMT
You should post this info on the Cork Ancestry Site , you may have some luck .

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 10:18PM GMT
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Joann

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 3:56PM GMT
Have a look at my public tree Josephine Salt Family Tree 09.06.2012.
There is a Crowley McCarthy marriage in fairly recent times & you will find that the Crowley family is also linked to General Michael Collins in fact I think run the small museum in Co. Cork. Use www.genealogy.i.e to find info but you will need to know place of birth/baptism as the surnames are the same all over Co. Cork and if you go far enough back are all related to each other.
My McCarthy family came from & some still live in Garralacka, Co. Cork - for them you look in Rossaleteri on the Irish site I have just give you.
Good luck :-D
Josephine

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 3:58PM GMT
Cork Ancestry site is exactly where please? a hyperlink is useful please.
Thanks
Josephine

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 4:13PM GMT
I have been using a raft of different records that I have found on Google and via other places. These include:

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

This one has some good links:
http://www.corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/

http://irishfamilyresearch.blogspot.com/

I updated my earlier post on the Cork general board. I have definitely tied one arm of the family to Dunmanway and I believe the other link to Drimoleague is likely correct but I need to do more digging to be definitive. If I am correct, there were other family members that likely remained in the Dunmanway and Drimoleague areas after my kin emigrated in the 1880's to the US.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 4:16PM GMT
For anyone attempting to use the link provided above, try:

www.genealogy.ie

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 2:02PM GMT
Not sure if there is an easier way but the following should get you there .

1. Log onto www.rootsweb.ancestry.com
2. Click on MESSSAGE BOARD
3. Click U.K and Ireland
4. Click Ireland
5. Click Cork
6. Click General .

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 3:52PM GMT
Thanks for clarifying that. When I read the request, I didn't process it that way but in rereading it, I think that was likely how the question was meant.

Hope the other links might help some folks as well.

Joann

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 9:05PM GMT
My great grandfather Daniel Sullivan was married to Hanora Crowley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions