Search for content in message boards

Jean Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Marie-Suzanne Capciouekoue

Jean Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Marie-Suzanne Capciouekoue

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 3:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Capciouekoue
Would like to hear from people descended from Jean Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Marie-Suzanne Capciouekoue.

Jean Gauthier was born in 1669 in Lachine, Quebec to Pierre Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Charlotte Roussel who were married in Lachine in 1668.

Jean and his brother Joseph were voyageurs. Jean signed on for Illinois on May 13, 1690 and for Michilimackinac on March 22, 1692. He married Marie-Suzanne Capciouekoue, a Kaskaskia native woman, on August 18, 1702 in Kaskaskia, Illinois. She could also have been a Miami Indian from this same area. These tribes spoke an Algonquin language. She was buried on February 7, 1754 in Les Cedres, Quebec.

Anyone have connections to this family?

Re: Jean Gauthier dit Saguingoira and Marie-Suzanne Capciouekoue

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 4:09PM GMT
I am descended from their sister Marie Joseph Marguerite Gauthier Saguingoria. She married Louis Larocque dit Gachiniac, they lived at Oka.

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 8:28PM GMT
I am a descendant of Jean Gauthier and Marie Marguerite Pressau as well as from Jean's brother Joseph who married Marie Fortier. Pierre Gaultier and Charlotte Rousell are their adopted parents. Their actual parents were killed fighting the Iroquois. Their names are Joseph Saguirou and Agnes Maxoumitimousens. They are Algonquin. Agnes is likley also Mascouten.
This info is also in Carrying the Chalice Forward and other Secret Stories of North America.

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 9:06PM GMT
correction, Marie Josephe married Joseph Poirier Desloges

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 9:09PM GMT
I had never read that Jean Baptiste & his brother Joseph were adopted. May I respectifully ask where you found that information.

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 9:13PM GMT
I also have Joseph married to Marie Clemence Jarry as per PRDH Family record #2647

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 2:15PM GMT
I hadn't heard of a sister by this name. The two sisters that I read about from Susan Colby were named Anne who married Jacques Denis dit St. Denis and Marie who married Alexandre Turpin and married secondly to Joseph Poirer dit Desloges.

Susan Colby said her information came from Jean Pierre Gauthier of the Gauthier Association and the Research Program of Historical Demography (PRDH)

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 2:24PM GMT
According to Susan Colby's information, your Jean (a brother to Jean and Joseph) is Jean-Baptiste (1674-1743) who was married to Marguerite Prezot dit Chambly (1681-1757). Marguerite had lost her parents and at least two siblings in the Lachine Massacre of August 1689.

Fascinating information about the possibility of Pierre Gauthier and Charlotte Roussel being adopted parents. I will read your sources to find out more.

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 2:28PM GMT
Susan Colby's information confirms that Joseph married Clemence Jarry on August 16, 1699. It also says that he married secondly to Marie Fortier on February 8, 1718.

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 2:34PM GMT
Yes, Marie Josephe Marguerite Gauthier dit Saguingoria, did marry Alexander Turpin & then Joseph Poirier dit Desloges, she & Joweph Poirier dit Desloges are my 5th great grandparents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions