Search for content in message boards

Dawson Gang

Dawson Gang

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a direct descendant of the Dawson Gang. My grandmother was Deloris from Quapaw and she use to tell me stories of the old days. I would love to hear from anybody reguarding the Dawson family tree or of the gang. Thanks, Mark.

Re: Dawson Gang

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 8:24PM GMT
I am not a descendant of the Dawson Gang but my great uncle Dennis Wade Logan ran or should i say worked with them way back in the day. Ia m trying to find information out on the Dawson gang and what my great uncl Dennis Logan if you have and information message me please

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 1:15AM GMT
hi mark...my name is Brandon,and my grate grandmother was the daughter of on of the Dawson boys,i cant quite remember witch one but i can get back to you on that...her name was Lucile Dawson..later changed to Lucile Webb.i would hear stories from my aunt telling me how her and my grandma would get in trouble by there uncles cuz my aunt actually found some of the stuff thy robed from...so yi would love to here anything you know about theme

Posted: 29 Aug 2010 4:21AM GMT
My name is Leslie Dawson. My grandfather is the late Wendall Dawson from Tishomingo. Lucile was his sister if I'm not mistaken. Would anyone know their relationship with the Dawson Gang from AL? My husband's last name is Bivens and was wondering if the Dawson's had business with Bivens. Ironic that 2 notorious names would marry 50 years later without knowing the "stateline mob" mystery. If there is any info on Wendall Dawson please let me know. Thanks

Posted: 17 Sep 2010 10:49PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
Am interested in learning more about the Dawson Gang. I am doing a family tree for my daughter in law and her mother(who's mother was a Dawson) claims to be part of the Dawson Gang descendants. Do you have any names of people who belonged to this gang?

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 8:39AM GMT
Okay, now my curiosity is at full alert. My grandmother, who was born in Missouri and later moved with her husband to South Dakota mentioned the Dawson gang several times while I was growing up. I asked an older cousin and I think he thought I was crazy. The only thing he could think of was that possibly a Dawson family member might have held horse reins for someone in the James gang. This was Worth county, Missouri. Where do your Dawson's come in to this picture. I have tried for years to find information on a Dawson gang and never got anywhere. Come on, somewhere someone just has to have th missing piece to the puzzle.

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson, Almy
The Dawson's in this family tree (for my daughter in law) begins with John A. Dawson b:03 Feb 1838, Oswego, Oswego., NY d:10 Oct 1902 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. He lived mostly in the Saginaw, Michigan area though and is buried there. I can't find any information on his ancestors. Some census records says his parents were from Ireland but haven't found any full documentation.

John married Marianna Almy and they had three children (that I know of) Arabella, Emeline and Alvah John (this family's direct ancestor)

I agree with you...someone somewhere must have some information on this Dawson Gang, unless it's all a myth.

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 5:49AM GMT
I don't feel like this is a myth. There are too many people that have information on family names. All I ever had was the story that my grandmother mentioned. The ones that do have names have you checked out Cyndi's List to see if your ancestors are listed. Have you tried to find Birth certificates for the three daughters? If you live in a large enough town or close to one you might see if there is a family history center. Also try posting to the counites that the Dawson's lived in. You might also try usgenweb.org. I will do what I can to help, but some Dawson's are like Smith, way too many of them without some other knowledge.

Pam

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson
Thanks Pam...my daughter-in-law's mother believes its very true and she claims that this gang (or one of them) was involved in a shooting in front of a bank.

I do have a birth cert of one of the daughters...haven't checked Cyndi's list or USGenweb.org....will do that.

Maybe eventually someone will come across some accurate information...thanks again:-)

Pat

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 12:17AM GMT
r 10, 1997
Dawson, once the crime ''Kingpin of North Alabama'' and leader of the notorious Dawson Gang, died Saturday of a heart attack in Leighton, Ala. He was 58. Dawson was accused of running a crime ring known as the Dawson Gang that began operating in north Alabama, northeast Mississippi and southwest Tennessee during the 1960s. Dawson spent a total of 16 years in prison for bootlegging, bank robbery, income-tax evasion and counterfeiting. He was linked to illegal gambling operations and accused of planning several bank robberies, although he was convicted of only one bank robbery.
This person passed Sept. 1997...Named Dewitt Dawson
per North Alabama Sentinel:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic