Search for content in message boards

Kate/Catherine McCarthy born c1842, in Clodagh, Cork 1901

Kate/Catherine McCarthy born c1842, in Clodagh, Cork 1901

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 12:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCarthy
I am trying to learn who Kate McCarthy was, the one who was age 57, a widow, living in Clodagh, Skibbereen, Cork, at the time of the 1901 Census. Her son John, age 15, wsa living there and her daughter Mary, age 19, was living there. Mary had some type of job in the school system.

In 1911 Kate was still in Clodagh her name spelled as MacCarthy in this census. The only person living there was Maurice Mahony, boarder. Maurice, who was 85 at the time, was my great-grandfather. I have never found the name of his 2nd wife's first husband but think it was Florence McCarthy. I am wondering if Kate has any connection to this family.

Is there anyone who has Kate in their family? I also have not been able to trace where John and Mary went. Since she was a widow in 1901, I don't know her husband's name so I can't find the marriage.

Re: Kate/Catherine McCarthy born c1842, in Clodagh, Cork 1901

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:48AM GMT
I suggest you post this query on the Cork Ancestry site .

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:24PM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion. I am not exactly sure what you mean by the Cork Ancestry site, though. Did you mean the site Ancestry where you place family trees or some type of message board? Thank you.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 4:20PM GMT
It's a site specifically for Cork County . You can post a message just as you have done here . To get there log onto www.rootsweb.ancestry.com . At the top of the page click on message boards . Then click on United kingdom and Ireland . Next click on Ireland , then Cork and finally General .

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 5:50PM GMT
I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. I have so many Cork names I am researching, I tend to stay with the surname and not post to the county. I should perhaps reconsider as I did at one time post to that board. Thank you.

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 4:25PM GMT
You probably should do both . There are many people who log onto the County site who do not know the surname site exists , so you are missing out on people with local info .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions