Search for content in message boards

Maria Pavell or Paveley or Pavely

Maria Pavell or Paveley or Pavely

Posted: 29 Oct 2010 12:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pavell, Paveley, Pavely
Maria Pavely was born 1827 in Southwark, Surrey (now London). She appeared in 1841 census as a Servant 'Maria Paveley' born 1821 in Middlesex. She was living (and probably working) in Islington, Middlesex. The birthdates are always out in this census. She appeared in no census returns after this. A 'Maria S Pavell' was on an assisted passage to Port Philip Bay (NSW) via The Lord Bentick in 1849. 'Pavell' has been used before as a version of the family name. As far as is known, she did not return to England, but is not recorded as dying under her single name or marrying likewise. Apart from the last letter of her name, the dates fit in very well with my Gt Gt Aunt Maria. Any information on her would be appreciated.

Re: Maria Pavell or Paveley or Pavely

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 2:26AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: PAVELL
Maria S Pavell is also on the employment and dispersal list for the 'Lord George Bentinck' which arr Port Phillip on 1 Apr 1849. The list notes her age as 22, occ: House Servant, and that she had 'Gone to her Brother at Melbourne'. The cost of her passage was defrayed by the Colonial Commissioners in full.

I'm presently transcribing these records.

Also, the Immigration Shipping Agent's list notes her native place, ie, where born, as Bramfield, Middlesex, her religion as Church of England and she could read and write.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Pavell, Pavett, Pavely
In the 1841 census, I have found a "Maria Pavell" who was the daughter of Fletcher Pavell (this should be "Pavett"), b 1795. She was supposed to "58" years of age but to fit in I think it should read "10". In the 1841 census for Cromer Street, Grays Inn Lane off the City Road, she was living with her parents and sisters and two brothers, Charles b 1825 and Joseph b 1827. She was not with the family in subsequent censuses, so this could be the right Maria, who was emigrating to be with her brothers, maybe. I do not know where "Bramfield" came in, as in later censuses the family were generally born in St Pancras. NB the family seems to have been called "Pavett". I hope this can help.

Iain Pavely

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 4:01PM GMT
Dear Iain,
I have just updated my Family Tree Maker 2005 and found your messages.
Have you ruled out Maria Bamfield being nee Maria Pavely firstly married to George Beadwell Middleton then married to Galen Bamfield?
Hoping this finds you well.

Trevor Bamfield
per page

Find a board about a specific topic