Search for content in message boards

Fortenberry in Alabama

Fortenberry in Alabama

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jun 2006 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Fortenberry
Looking for parents of Jacob and Rachel Selvey Fortenberry. They lived in Winston County Alabama. Jacob was born in August 16, 1861 and died in April 8, 1914, and Rachel was born in May 9, 1864 and died in November 29, 1909. They had 12 children. Lidia, Wiley, Sallie,Ollie, Jim, Frank, Birdie, Jeff, Ed, Albert, Carrie, & Thurman. I believe there is a 1/2 sister O'Stella that still lives in Alabama. Also would like to know when Jacob and Rachel were marrried. I am the granddaughter to Carrie.

Re: Fortenberry in Alabama

linda rainey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 12:17PM GMT
I am researching Henry T. Fortenberry (1835-1880) who was born in SC and died in FAyette County Alabama. He married Nancy Jane Mitchell who was born in SC and also died in Fayette County Al. They are both buried at Zion Methodist Church in Bankston, AL. Could this be the same family? I know very little about the Fortenberrys but believe Henry T. to be the son of Wyley Fortenberry who married Sarah White.

Does this sound like your line? I would be pleased to correspond.

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2006 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Fortenberry
Linda,

I do not know of a Henry T. in my family. I too do not know much about the Fortenberrys. But let me look in my notes. I have run across a Henry in SC.

Kay Kazmir (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 12:26AM GMT
You mentioned Nancy Jane Mitchell who was b. in SC and died in Fayette County, AL. I have Mitchells who were b. in SC according to census reports and were in Fayette Co, AL by 1820. I would really like to discuss your Mitchell line.

linda (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 12:21PM GMT
Kay, I may be reached at bartbirm@aol.com and will be pleased to share what little Mitchell information that I have. I would be quite surprised if they were not the same family. Nancy Jane Mitchell who married Henry T. Fortenberry was I belive the daughter of Asa Mitchell and Elizabeth.

I will be making a trip to the Spartanburg area in a couple of weeks and I hope to be able to find additional information on these families. I am particularly interested in cemeteries and where some of those who didn't migrate to Alabama are buried.

Look forward to hearing from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions