Search for content in message boards

joseph joseph and sarah wilks

joseph joseph and sarah wilks

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 7:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
hi there,
i am not sure if these people came to australia but was wondering how do i look them up i have a grave that matches these people but i cant seem to find a ship or any records could some one help me please

Re: joseph joseph and sarah wilks

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 10:49AM GMT
THE NAME IS WRONG IT IS JOSEPH JOSEPHS AND SARAH WILKS THEY HAD A SONE CALLED JOSEPH JOSEPHS WILKS THAT CAME TO AUSTRALIA

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 11:06AM GMT
Do you have any idea of dates ?

Posted: 17 Nov 2010 10:52AM GMT
Hi,
As you haven't indicated any dates or time frame, it is a hard to find arrivals.

I assume the surname is 'Wilks' ?

There is the following from Victorian Public State Records
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguid...
of the following family arriving from British Port on the Persian in 1852. May be Joseph's wife was also known as ?Ann

WILKS ANN 39 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009
WILKS CAROLINE 1 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009
WILKS CATHARINE 15 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009
WILKS JOSEPH 13 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009
WILKS JOSEPH 39 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009
WILKS LAVINA 4 DEC 1852 PERSIAN B 023 009

From Victorian records Cd found
Surname: WILKS
Given Names: Joseph Josephs
Event: D
Spouse Surname/Father: Jos
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Sarah WILKS
Birth Place:
Death Place: STAWELL
Year: 1886
Reg Number: 11061R

This Joseph Josephs Wilks, born c. 1793
so probably not the above listed family.

Regards,
Lynne

Posted: 17 Nov 2010 11:22AM GMT
Have you had a look at "Trove Newspapers"
http://trove.nla.gov.au/

From 'The Argus' 1857
DIED.
On the 1st inst., at her residence, Elizabeth-street, Sydney, Miriam, relict of the late Joseph Joseph, Esq., in her seventy-ninth year, esteemed by all with whom she was acquainted, and mother of Mr. Louis Joseph, of this city.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Josephs/Wilks
did you find your people arriving in Australia

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 7:58AM GMT
Hello - may be able to she some light on this. Joseph Josephs Wilks came to Australia on the CONSTANCE in 1852
His real name was Joseph josephs - BUT due to being a Jew and the conditions for Jews at /before the 1841 census in UK changed his name to Joseph Joseph Wilks - taken on lhis mothers madiden name. He is listed in a book called 'William Woods Diary - by Peter Pennington -William was a chap who also travelled on the CONSTANCE the same voyage and keep a diay on the day to day runnings of the ship. He listed all the passengers. Wilks - Hope this id of some help
Regards
Lorrie

Posted: 29 May 2012 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Josephs/Wilks
Hi, I am also researching Joseph Josephs and all the family history. I joined the Jewish Gen website and so receive emails from Jews all over the world. Recently I posted a message about Joseph and received a reply from a French genealogist who suggested I go to the "GenAmi.org" website and download genAmi35 bulletin which includes a history of the Josephs family. I have done that at a cost of $9.22AU. The only downside is that it is all in French so I have to get it translated to English as I don't understand French. Perhaps someone "out there" can help with that. It is a 28 page document, but only about 5 pages relate to the Josephs.
Cheers
Doug Perth, WA

Posted: 29 May 2012 8:22AM GMT
Was the whole website in French ? Because there is an option to see the website in English

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 3:12AM GMT
According to my research, there were 3 generations of people named "Joseph Josephs". The first of these was the one who married Sarah Wilks. He was apparently born about 1775 and lived in London. They had a son who was also alianamed Joseph and this second Joseph moved to Liverpool UK, where he met and married Eliza Radley. They had 8 children in Liverpool, the 3rd of which was a son named Joseph Henry Josephs, born 1840 or 41. In 1852 Joseph 2nd brought his family to Melbourne, Australia on the "Constance".
I hope this helps.
The first Joseph called himself "Joseph Wilks" to avoid persecution.
If you have a gravesite for him, I would love to have the details a photograph if possible
Cheers
Doug Burrows
per page

Find a board about a specific topic