Search for content in message boards

Florence Sell McCarthy

Florence Sell McCarthy

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
I sent for this SS application hoping it would belong to my family member. However it does not. If she is your family member, please contact me off list so I may send it to you. She was born in Pine Grove, PA in 1899. Her address at the time of the aplication (1937) was Wi9llow Grove, PA.

Joycr
flag14@rochester.rr.com

Re: Florence Sell McCarthy

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Hi - not my relative but just wanted to let people know that FLORENCE is usually a MANS name when in the McCarthy family in County Cork Ireland. It threw us until I googled a very famous Florence McCarthy who was a political prisoner of Queen Elizabeth I of England.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 12:43PM GMT
BTW - its an Anglicisation of Florian (Latin), Finn & Finian Irish.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 3:50PM GMT
Ooops, I should have pointed that out in my post. I'm so used to searching for male Florence's I neglected to make the gender switch for this Florence - which BTW is why I wish one could tell the gender before ordering from SS Admin.

Thanks for the post! BTW do YOU have male Florence's in your McCarthy line? I was told in Ireland that Florence as a given name is only used in one "branch" of the HUGE McCarthy clan and therefore, could serve as my clue to determining which sept/nickname is mine.
Joyce

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy,
Florence has been in our family in just about every generation that i have found and it is always a male name. I am also looking for another branch of my McCarthys- Timothy McCarthy(1851) one of at least six other siblings.Jeremiah, Julia, Hanora, Florence, one that married an O'Sullivan. Timothy married Margaret. They had Six children that I know of,Michael (1881), Molly (1883), Maggie (1885), Willie (1886), Ellie((1887), Julia(1888). They were from Lackenafasoge (Lacka) for short. If anyone thinks this sounds familiar please let me know. Thanks

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:58PM GMT
Florence McCarthy appears lots in my branch of the McCarthy clan as Florence Dennis, Florence John, John Florence etc etc. We are the McCarthy Reagh branch of the family. There are McCarthy Mor, McCarthy Reagh, McCarthy Dunmanway, McCarthy Sowney etc - some of these are earlier & some later offshots of the original ancestor. There is a shared common ancestor found by DNA research at about 400AD. See the McCarthy DNA project if you have a intact male line.

Google a famous Florence McCarthy who was a political prisoner of Queen Elizabeth I in the 1600s & died & is buried in London.

Please visit my PUBLIC tree 'Josephine Salt Family Tree Halloween 2012' to see if your McCarthy are the same as mine.

Best wishes,
Josephine Dunn

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 9:16PM GMT
Hi,
I'll be sure to check out your tree. I had done some general research on Florence McCarthy and found references that indicated this name, used for males belonged to the McCarthy Reagh. You post would seem to confirm what we were told in Ireland that only one branch used the Florence name. I do have an intact male line and have wondered if it would be worthwhile to try this avenue. Our direct male line is fading out so perhaps this is indeed a good time to do this.
Joyce

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 1:37PM GMT
If you want to do McCarthy DNA you could contact a distant cousin of mine Nigel McCarthy who is involved with it. mccarthygen@tiscali.co.uk

Have a look at
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/McCarthySurnameStudy/def...

If you are a McCarthy Reagh we are also distant cousins.

Best wishes,

Josephine

Posted: 24 Aug 2013 4:11PM GMT
Hi I have florence's in our line of McCarthy's and would like to see if our line intersects yours. I do not know what branch we are I was told that our line was Calnan? but I do not find that reference anywhere.

Posted: 25 Aug 2013 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Sowney, Calnan,
Hi Tricia,

Calnan is another family name that comes from county Cork, Ireland. Thre is Calnan containers currently inoperation. why don't you google the name & find some living Calnan family?

Branches of the McCarthy clan are usually diferentiated: main line McCarthy Mor descended from Saerbrethach (Justin)ad 925 & his son Carthach- then offshoots: McCarthy Reagh & McCarthy of Gleann-a-Chroim about 1203 descended from Donal Oge McCarthy . Also McCarthy of Dunmanway , Dunhallow, Sowney, Ardcanaughty, all diferentiated by adding a place name after McCarthy.

See the pedigree of McCarthy Mor, Reagh etc in 'Life & Letters of Florence McCarthy Reagh' by Daniel McCarthy Glas. Glas is abbreviation of Gleann-a-Chroim.

Also remember that the McCarthy families (plural) kept intermarrying so you need to know which house, hamlet, village as well as the town nearby & the county of Ireland your McCarthy family comes from originally.

Mine come from Garralacka near Clonakilty in County Cork, Ireland & some stil live on the orignal farm my gt grandfather Michael was born in.

You will just have to look & compare with my tree @Josephine Salt Familytree Halloween 2012'.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic