Search for content in message boards

Mckee genealogy

Mckee genealogy

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 5:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Saw your post on ancestry, I know the Marjorie related. Have alot of info of Mckee's in co. Down area, I live in Bangor, Co. DOWN. belong to Fhs family history society meet at 1st Bangor Presby Church Halls every 3rd thursday of the month and have office in Newtownabbey near Abbey centre and have a website look at it.
my Mckees are from Newtownards farmers and go back to Saintfield and Glastry PORTAVOGIE AND GRYaBbEY, 1700.
ok VIVIENNEM.J. MCKEE-WATSON

Re: Mckee genealogy

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 4:37PM GMT
Surnames: McKee
I was wondering if you were sending this to me? I would be thrilled to find more info on my mother's family tree........her name is Darleen McKee. I haven't been on here in so long I will have to get my info out to give you the names and dates for my McKees. They are from Co. Down, though!

Posted: 6 Dec 2013 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: McKEE, WHAN
Vivienne, I am an 80 year old who grew up in the US a McKee. My earliest McKee ancestor was James M. McKee born about 15 April 1771 supposedly in County Down, Ireland. He was in Pennsylvania USA before 1806. He married, I believe, in the US, a Rachel Whan. Her sons stated that she had been born in New Jersey, US. I can find no immigration information and have no idea how to search Irish records, because I do not know any smaller jurisdiction than County Down. There was a strong Presbyterian connection in this line of McKees. Your post intrigued me. I would love to be related but I really don't have any hope of a connection. I thank you for any suggestions you might make.
Thank you and happy searching to you.
Nancy McKee Smith

Posted: 6 Dec 2013 6:21PM GMT
Surnames: McKee, McGowan, Agnew
HI Nancy

Viv and I know each other, I met up with her in Bangor a couple of times. We are both McKee's and she knows some of my Bangor McKee cousins. We are not sure how our McKee's are connected....yet.
I hope that Viv may be able to help us find a connection with all our McKee's. My McKee's are from Bangor, however there is record of them going to visit relatives in Penn. USA. It seems many McKee's went to Penn. USA.
I live in London, Ontario, Canada, but I am from Windsor, Ontario across from Detroit where all the rest of the McKee relations are now.
Let's hope we find the connection soon,
Marjorie Munroe
London, Ontario, Canada
maplenation@sympatico.ca

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 12:46AM GMT
Marjorie,

I am also a McKee descendant, but that is not why I'm writing.

The very best way besides a paper trail to see if you and they have common ancestors is for you and one or more of them to take an autosomal DNA test with one of the companies that offers them. Family Tree DNA offers Family Finder. 23andMe offers its test that also gives you autosomal results. Ancestry.com also offers a similar test and can connect you with your cousins, known or unknown, some of whom have posted family trees and sources.

One thing that might be good to do is read up on how recombination with each generation might affect whether or not you and your siblings might match another person/persons.

Lee Anne
(descendant of Andrew and Elizabeth ____ McKee through their daughter Eliza McKee who married Eleazer Rouse in Washington County VA on 12 January 1823).

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: McKEE
Thank you for your suggestion. I have not investigated DNA testing for several years. When I had my mtDNA tested years ago by Family Tree DNA, either autosomal was not developed or I was not impressed with the possibilities it offered. I did not have a closely related McKee male willing to do the yDNA test at that time. I will look into autosomal testing again.
Nancy Smith

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 6:53PM GMT
There's a typo on the marriage date for Eliza McKee and Eleazer Rouse It should have read 23 January 1823. I'm not sure why I typed 12.

Lee Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions