Search for content in message boards

Thornes in West Virginia

Thornes in West Virginia

L Whitely (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2000 4:59AM GMT
My grandmother (still living) was named Dorothy Thorne Kerr, now Whitely. Her mother's maiden name was Thorne, hence the middle name. Her mother was from West Virginia, and died shortly after my grandmother was born. I do not know any information on her mother, and would appreciate hearing anything about her.

FAMILY TREE

BURNICE FAYE THORNE/HALL (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2000 8:16PM GMT
IAM A THORNE FROM BELINGTON WVA IF YOU CAN SEND ME SOME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR MOM
OR GRANDMOTHER LIKE FULL NAMES DATES PLACE
WHERE THEY LIVED MAY I CAN HELP YOU
IN MY RESREACH I HAVE FOUND THAT WE WERE ALL
RELATED IN WVA AND YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY DROPPING THE E ON THORN IT WAS ADDED BY A TYPE O ON SOMEONE BIRTH RECORDS MANY YEARS AGO AND IT MAY NOT BE ON YOUR GENADMPOTHER'S
LET ME KNOW AND I WILL SENT YOU WHAT EVER I HAVE FOR YOU THANKS FAYE

More Info

Lisa Whitely (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2000 6:07PM GMT
My grandmother's mother was also named Dorothy Thorne. My grandmother was raised in Farmington West Virginia, near Fairmont, and I am assuming that her mother was from the same area. Her mother was burried in the Oddfellow's Cemetary in Farmington. My father and I attempted to visit her grave, but we could not make it to the cemetary because it is surrounded by a cow pasture. Her father's name was William Kerr, and after my great grandmother's death, he married a woman who my family called Tosie. William was a Methodist minister who worked in many areas of West Virginia. I am assuming that my great grandmother died sometime in the twenties, but I am not sure.

Thorn's

Sherry (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2000 7:19AM GMT
Do you have any information on these Thorn's? My great grandmother was Eugenia Azalea Thorn, her father was William Barton Thorn and his father was Edwin Thorn? They were suppose to have come to Arkansas from Carolinas I believe. Thanks.

Re: FAMILY TREE

Posted: 16 May 2010 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thorn, Davis, Anderson, Foley, Dye
Hi Burnice,
I hope this gets to you. I am just shakin' the tree here. I have a John Thorn with wife Susan that moves to Wood Co, in what is now West Virginia, about 1816. His sister Mary & her husband Jessie Davis were neighbor's. There are not many records in WV telling there story. John & Susan seem to have all daughters, Mary, Mahalia(Dye) & Lucinda(Anderson & Foley)
I know there were a bunch of Thorn's in Wirt Co, next door, but they do not look to be my kin. Smile lots!

Re: Thornes in West Virginia

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 6:51PM GMT
My last name is Thorne and I am from West Virginia. You need to put the name William Thorne into your search engine and you will fine all of the Thorn/Thorne history. Starting about 1632. 99 % of the WV Thorne's can trace their line to this Man.

Re: Thorn's

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 6:29PM GMT
Theophilus Thorn Sr. migrated from Edgecombe Co, NC to Spartanburg, SC. Had son Edwin who stayed in SC. Son Theophilus Jr. migrated to Hempstead Co, AR in the 1850s. His daughter, Edith Thorn, was my grandmother. If you care to discuss this, my e-mail is gtjohnson4@suddenlink.net

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 6:31PM GMT
I have seen this post before that all Thorn's can trace back to William thorn 1638 New York. I administer the Thorn DNA testing site and find this not to be true at all. We have Thorn's (especially my line) that do not match the New York Thorn DNA at all.In fact, we have probably 5 to 6 different Thorn lines that have had thier DNA tested and do not match each other. We do have about 3-4 Thorn's/Thorne's that have had thier DNA testing and are from the William Thorn(e) of New York line. So if you are researching the Thorn line do not believe that all of us decend from William thorn of New York. My particular Thorn line is nowhere close to the same DNA type as other Thorn's. There were Thorn's in Maryland ,across the Potomac from where my THorn family was in Virginia (approximately 35 miles) and they do not match us either. there was a Thorn family in Vinton Co Ohio that lived about 10 miles from my Thorn family when they moved to Jackson Co ohio and we are not related at all. I hope this helps someone in thier research.
Elmer Thorn
Virginia> Ohio>Iowa> Missouri

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 7:54PM GMT
There is also a William Thorn/es in Virginia with a web site. Try that one. Same name different group.

Deborah Thorn m. 1817 Monongalia Co, WV to William Alexander Summers

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Dawson, Freeland, Lanham, Malson, Summers, Thorn
Hello,

I'm a Summers descendant hoping to find more info on the family of Deborah Thorn and William (Alexander?) Summers including any children.

Deborah and William m. 1817 in Monongalia Co, WV. Deborah Thorn's parents Joshua & Nancy Ann Lanham Thorn; William's b. abt 1791 MD and parents John & Chloe Summers.

William remarries 1856 Tyler Co, WV to Mary Catherine Dawson b. abt 1838 (John & Hannah-Hilda-Hulda Dawson). They had at least 3 children:

Cassandra b. abt 1858
Rebecca b. 1858 m. Atkinson Malson
George b. 1861 m. Laura Belle Freeland

William d. 1865 in Tyler Co and in 1869 Mary Catherine m. John Malson.

Tracking William after his 1817 m. to Deborah Thorn was not easy but believe we have him in records as William and as Alex(ander) and believe he was, in fact, William Alexander Summers b. abt 1791 Maryland.

[William's father John migrated to Monongalia Co btwn 1805-1810 with brother Hezekiah and their children. John & Hezekiah descend from Dent Summers & Mary Ann Claggett. I descend from Hezekiah].

1820 and 1830 he's in Monongalia Co, WV. 1840 he's in Monroe Co, OH; can't find him in 1850; 1860 he's in Tyler Co, WV having m. 1856 to Mary Catherine Dawson. then he d. 1865 in Tyler Co and Mary Catherine remarries 1869.

QUESTION IS: who were the children of William & Deborah?

We know from census records in 1830, there were at least 7 children. I have reason to believe one son was William Edward Summers m. Drusilla Dawson.

Will very much appreciate any assistance. You can see my gedcom online at:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=delgroves

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions