Search for content in message boards

Was There Ever a Town Named Carhue in Tipperary?

Was There Ever a Town Named Carhue in Tipperary?

TerryDivineyBora (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2002 12:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Ryan
My grandmother, Johanna Ryan, was from Tipperary. The town she wrote in her prayer book clearly reads CARHUE, but I've been told there is no town by that name. Does anyone know if there may have been one in the 1860's/70's that may now be known by a different name? This is really a puzzle for me and has prevented me from finding info about her.

Re: Was There Ever a Town Named Carhue in Tipperary?

patrick Hough (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 4:23PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: O'Meara, Hurley, O'Hurley, O'Kennedy, Hough, Hock
Hi, I have just come upon your query by chance just having arrived baack in England from County Tipperary last night.I can guarantee you that there is a townland called CARHUE not far from the town of NENAGH in North Tipperary and it skirts the shores of Youghal Bay which is part of Lough Derg on the Shannon. Because of the changes in names over the years from Irissh to English and sometimes back again it may help if I give you the following information:-

The townland is actually placed in the parish of MONSEA and is very close to where my grandmother Margaret O'Meara was born.

CARHUE or CARROW (Ceathru/Quarter) An old Irish land measure, one fourth part of a Baile biataigh which itself was approximately 480 Irish Acres. Some old versions give the name as CARHHUEGAR - ceathru gearr/ The narrow quarter. In the seventeenth century part of CARHUE was known as BALLIMONGHAN - Baile Mongain/ The Marshy Place.

The big landowners there in the 17th century were a family called Hurley or O'Hurley but the O'Kennedy's were the old Gaelic Chieftains in the area.

I hope that you may have already been given this information if not I trust this will help you to traack down your family. Please let me know if I can help more.

With kind regards

Patrick Hough (Hock)

TerryDivineyBora (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 10:09PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:18AM GMT
Hi Patrick. I can't thank you enough for your reply. I've twice been told that there is no Carhue. Thanks to you, I now have a place to start looking for my g.mother's home, although I only have her name, Johanna Ryan, to go on. Many, many thanks. Terry

TerryBora (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2002 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:21AM GMT
Patrick. I had a question for you. I tried email but it was returned. Would you know if the records for CARHUE births would be located in Carhue itself, or would they be in the parish of Monsea? I can't seem to find any info on either of the two places. Thanks for your help. Terry

dianne randell (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2002 4:41AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:22AM GMT
I'd suggest you post a fresh message asking where to get the Tipperary birth certificate you're after. I found Carhue and Monsea (townland) in Co. Cork and Co. Tipperary.
Check out:
http://www.seanruad.com/

Carhue = a townland. 391 acres. Co. Cork, E.R. Barony: East Muskerry. Civil Parish Inishcarra. PLU: Cork. Province: Munster.

Monsea = at townland 642 acres Co. Tipperary, N.R. Barony Lower Ormond Civil Parish: Monsea. PLU Nenagh.
Province: Munster.

Sue Donnelly (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2003 4:50PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: Carew
My Gt Gt Grandfather was married to a Julia Carew also coming from Carhue Tipperary in about 1870

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 7:25PM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:25AM GMT
Carhue, Ballycommon,Nenagh Ireland......Carhue is an area by Lough Derg.....to get info about your family I would recommend contacting the Nenagh Heritage Centre, which has a local genelogiacl service. I live in Carhue, and can say that about 100 years ago it had a thriving community..however there are no Ryans living here presently.

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 12:34AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:26AM GMT
There is an area in Tipperary known as locally as Carhue although I'm not sure that it's a townland. It forms part of the Parish of Annacarty north of Dundrum. Much of this is very sparsely populated and you won't find much in the way of towns or villages. It was an area inhabited by the old Irish.

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 12:35AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:27AM GMT
There is an area in Tipperary known as locally as Carhue although I'm not sure that it's a townland. It forms part of the Parish of Annacarty north of Dundrum. Much of this is very sparsely populated and you won't find much in the way of towns or villages. It was an area inhabited by the old Irish.

Jenny Vincent (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 3:58AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2010 3:20AM GMT
Surnames: Ryan, Mitchell
I noticed your email and I also have a great grandmother by the name of Johanna Ryan. I believe she was born in approx. 1844. She married Michael Mitchell. They had their first two children in Mexico and the last four in Texas. Does this correspond with any of your information? I'm running into a brick wall locating any information.

Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Jenny
per page

Find a board about a specific topic