Search for content in message boards

Born on Board ship

Born on Board ship

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 10:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robertson
Hi I have found an ancestor Mary Ann Robertson born in 1809 to William and Anne Robertson on board ship in the bay of Biscay.I think the ship must have been coming back to Scotland as William and Ann had a son John born in Scotland 1814.Can anyone help. Where would the birth be registered and how can I find the name of the ship that they travelled on? I can't seem to find any records that go back that far.
Thanks Diane

Re: Born on Board ship

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 7:01PM GMT
What I have learned in a brief research on the web today is that you would enter the country in which the ship (or today the aircraft) was registered. The "State" would be the name of the vessel or perhaps the airline. The "Town" would be where the vessel or aircraft was at the time of birth. For example, "On Open Sea", or "Bay of Biscay", etc. The child's nationality depends on the laws of the country to which the vessel is registered and/or the laws of the exact place over which or within which the birth occurred. See this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_aboard_aircraft_and_ships

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 2:35PM GMT
Classification: Birth
I am a new member and read with interest your posting. I am trying to find the name of a ship on which my 5th great grandmother was born en route to America. Unfortunately i only have her first name Mary? and the date 1765. She went on to settle in Virginia: Any ideas...anyone? thanks.

Posted: 12 May 2013 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Russell
Glad to see your post on here. My GGGrandfather listed "Atlantic Ocean" as place of birth on the 1870 census, but Yorkshire, England, on all the others I've uncovered. I think this might be why I'm hitting such a brick wall.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic