I have sent two replies to your email at email@example.com
but both have been returned. I will try to paste my message here, but please let me know if there is a different address I should be using.
I am so delighted to hear from you! I am Frank's second son and Mary was my aunt. My brother Jim visited with her some years ago at which time I believe they met my grandmother Elizabeth Brennan's last surviving sister, Jenny. My son Eamonn will be visiting Ireland in February while he is
on break from law school, and so I am anxious to gather as much contact information as possible in the hope that he will be able to meet with some family.
My Aunt Mary never married, but she was like a second mother to me and my four brothers and four sisters (Frank, Mary, James, Margaret, Catherine, Joseph, Kevin and Anne Rose). I am 55 years old and have three children: Patrick, Eamonn and Jenny who I presume are of your generation. My
understanding is that my grandfather Hugh was married to your great-grandmother, whose name I do not know, and that they had sons James in 1906 and John Joseph in 1910. Some time after that, his wife died and he came to the US where he married Elizabeth Brennan (also from Maghera) in 1916.
Aunt Mary (Mary Rose was born in 1917 and died in 1984. My father Frank (Hughie) was born in 1920 and died in 1983.
I also understand that one or both of their brothers came to live with them for a while in the US, but were homesick and returned to Ireland. I have a Xmas card sent to my Aunt Mary in 1981 from John J. and Lily. Would Lily be your grandmother?
Here are some of the things I would most like to know:
1. The name of Hugh's first wife
2. The date of their marriage and the date she died.
3. The church where they married and were baptized.
4. The names of Hugh's parents and his siblings. Was Hugh raised on a farm?
5. The names of John J. and James O'Hagan's children, and which of them are still in the area.
6. They must have been very young when Hugh came to the US. Who cared for them?
7. Where exactly was Hugh born
8. What did he do for a living; he used to talk about driving a horse-drawn hearse and working at a whiskey distillery .
9. Do you know anything about Elizabeth Brennan's family. I believe there were 14 children including Kate (who I knew as a very young boy when she lived in Philadelphia with her husband Patrick Merrin, also from Maghera, I believe), Rose, Jenny, Brigid, and one brother Frank.
10. Did Elizabeth Brennan's family attend the same church as Hugh's family?
11. Is it proper to be using Maghera as the place where all my family came from, or is that the main town that would be given for people who were actually from smaller nearby villages?
My brother Jim is trying to find his contact information from the time he visited with my Aunt Mary. But that occurred in 1981, and much may have changed since then. I would appreciate any addresses, phone numbers or emails you can provide. I also have a million other questions and hope you won't mind me writing again. Again, I can't tell you how delighted I am to hear from you.