Search for content in message boards

COKER'S OF OAKDALE, LA

COKER'S OF OAKDALE, LA

Posted: 16 May 2002 1:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jun 2002 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: COKER, STROTHER
KIM,

I AM JUST STARTING THIS SEARCH AND DISCOVERED YOUR NAME AND THE HELP THAT YOU HAVE PROVIDED FOR OTHERS. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD PERHAPS HELP ME IN MY SEARCH? I AM LOOKING TO BACK AS FAR AS I CAN WITH THE COKER'S OF OAKDALE, LA. I HAVE IT AS BACK AS FAR AS "SEBURN COKER OF OAKDALE WHO WAS BORN 11 MAR 1905 AND DIED JUL 1958 AND IS BELEIVED TO BE BURIED IN A CEMETARY IN OAKDALE. HIS WIFE WAS ESTELL COKER WHO WAS BORN ON 27 JAN, 1907 AND DIED ON FEB 28TH 1995. CAN YOU FIND WHO HIS FATHER WAS AND IF POSSIBLE HIS FATHER ETC. OR COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE TO GO TO SEARCH. I HAVE A FEW SEARC PLACES. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT FINDCOKER@YAHOO.COM. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU ARE ABLE TO PROVIDE.

JIMMY COKER

Re: COKER'S OF OAKDALE, LA

Ittis Conley (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2002 8:58PM GMT
I knew Seburn and Estelle Coker in Oakdale, La. If I recall correctly they had 2 daughters and a son. They were relation to my aunt Vernia (Strother) Richmond. I am from Oakdale but live in Calif. I can't help with what you are looking for but thought I would let you know I knew them. Ottis

Re: COKER'S (Strothe'sr) OF OAKDALE, LA

Posted: 19 Jun 2002 4:49PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Estelle Coker's madian name was Strother (Oakdale). her dads name was Zachary(not sure of the spelling) Strother. Seburn and Estelle had 6 boys, two of which (elton and seburn jr died very young. The others were Arthur (my father), Howard, JC, Jimmy Ray. They had 2 daughters Helen and Doris. Arthur, Helan, Doris and JC are the only one alive. Would you happen to know Seburns mothers name? I know his fathers name was Sidney.

Please email me @ findcoker@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Re: COKER'S (Strothe'sr) OF OAKDALE, LA

Ottis Conley (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2002 2:41AM GMT
No, I'm sorry I don't know Seburns mothers name. I knew all the kids that you mentioned. Most of the generation older than me has died and there aren't alot of people to ask anymore. I live in Calif so I rarely see see the Oakdale people. I will ask my brother when I talk to him. He still lives in Oakdale. Sorry!!
Ottis Conley

Posted: 27 Jun 2002 5:26PM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2003 8:40AM GMT
Surnames: coker, strother, conley
ottis was your father tommy conley and your mother elain? if so then your aunt would be vernia whos sister was estelle who was my grandmother.

Posted: 1 Sep 2002 10:24PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2003 5:33AM GMT
Surnames: COKER/FOYIL/STROTHER/WILLIS
Hello Ottis,

I was wondering if you knew my husband's COKER family when you lived in Oakdale. My husband's father was Lonnie COKER, b. 1916 in Oakdale. He had a brother, Lee, b. 1921, and a sister, Mildred, b. 1919. I'm not sure if Lee and Mildred were born in Oakdale. Their parents were Lee Coker, Sr. and Mattie FOYIL (FOIL) Coker.

I've been trying to establish a connection between these COKER's and the STROTHERS and WILLLIS' but so far have been unable to do so.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ruth Roberts Coker
Arlington, TX

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2004 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: Buxton, Doyle, Strother
Hi Ruth,
I was wondering if you had information on a Synthy Coker, daughter of John Coker and Rosaline Snoddy and wife of Duriman "Dew" Buxton?

Also, I noticed you were trying to link the Coker's, Strother's and Willis'. I also have Strother's in my lineage. My great great grandfather Valentine B. Buxton was married to Sophia Strother, daughter of Francis "Frank" Strother I and Mary Willis. All of the above folks lived in Louisiana, as far as I know. Just wondering if you had any info on any of the ancestors?

Happy Researching
Donna Blaisdell

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 2:29AM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2002 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: COKER/SNODDY/BOZEMAN/FOYIL/MORGAN
Hi Donna,

Wish I did have more information for you that would link my COKER's to John Rosaline (SNODDY) COKER but I don't. Below is the only information that I have on my husband's family:

Alphin Lee 'Charley' COKER, b. abt 1845 in GA.
m1. Mary B. BOZEMAN, b. AL.
m2. 1884, Nancy BOZEMAN
m3. 1893,Mrs. Sarah BOZEMAN
Children of Alphin 'Charley' and Mary B. (BOZEMAN)COKER
+1. Lee Ander COKER, b. 1875, Union Parish, LA
2. Mary Hettie COKER, b. 1877, LA
3. Willie COKER, b. 1880, LA
4. Lennie Etta COKER, b. 1884

Possible child of Alphin 'Charley' and Nancy (BOZEMAN) COKER
5. Lonnie COKER

Lee Ander COKER, Sr., b. 06 MAY 1875, Ouachita, Union Parish, LA
m1. Alice A. BOZEMAN
m2. Mattie FOYIL

Children of Lee and Alice (BOZEMAN)COKER:
1. ? COKER, b. abt. 1895 in AR
2. Bertha COKER, b. abt 1899 in AR

Children of Lee and Mattie (FOYIL) COKER:
3. Lonnie COKER, b. 16 MAR 1916, Oakdale, Allen Parish, LA
4. Mildred COKER, b. 03 MAR 1919, Alco, Vernon Parish, LA
5. Lee Ander COKER, Jr., b. 12 AUG 1921, LA

My husband, Richard is the son of Lonnie COKER, b. in 1916.

Alphin 'Charley' COKER is in Union Parish in 1910 living next door to his son, Willie COKER. Have been unable to locate any of the family in the 1910 census. In 1920, Lee and Mattie COKER are in Allen Parish and Mary Hettie has married Charles Leslie MORGAN and lives in Houston.

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 2:39AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2004 2:49AM GMT
Hi Ruth, thanks for the info on your Coker's. All I have is Synthia Coker born April 17, 1861 in Avoyelles Parish, LA, daughter of John Coker and Rosaline Snoddy. She Married Duriman "Dew" Buxton August 25, 1885. She died February 27, 1944 in Oakdale, Allen Parish, LA. I believe they had 6 children. I really haven't done any research on the Coker's. Like I said before, I am researching the Buxton's, and the Coker's, Strother's, Willis', Johnson's and Doyle's keep popping up in my research. If I come across anything, I'll let you know; hope you will do the same.

Donna

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 2:58AM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2002 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: COKER/WILLIS/BUXTON
Donna,

I have a Family Group Record with research done by Odessa Willis House. I sent her a query on GenForum but never heard from her. If you are interested in her information and don't already have it, I will be glad to send it to you.

Also, there is quite a bit of WILLIS information online which I will be happy to direct you to if you haven't already found it. I'm not sure, but I think I have the census records for John and Rosaline COKER and maybe Dew and Sinthey BUXTON. Let me know what you need.

Ruth Roberts Coker
Arlington, TX
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions