Search for content in message boards

Grimmetts of the U.S.

Grimmetts of the U.S.

Posted: 30 Dec 2009 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Grimmett\Ridgely\Worthington\Duvall\Howard
Hi cousins!
Let me first start of by saying that I'm still fairly new to genealogy and that almost all of my research done on the Grimmett Family has been online. I started to become interested in my family history about 2 years ago and I've made a few discoveries that I want you all to know about because I haven't found any other books/info/threads regarding the information I've found.
I'd first like to talk about John Grimmett b.~1724. Many people have referenced David Price's book that states that "..based on evidence..John and Robert are probably from Warwickshire, England.." That isn't the exact line in the book, but this is more or less what he states.
Well, with help from Shirley Wilcox and Maryland Land Records, I'm here to say that there is evidence that John may have been born here in the USA around 1724, not England. At the very least, I can prove he lived in Anne Arundell Co., Maryland until 1773 before living in Franklin Co., Virginia.
The evidence I have that John may have been born in Maryland comes from land records of a Robert Grimmett who was alive in 1720 in Maryland, specifically in Anne Arundell Co. in the late 1730s. Robert Grimmett either sold parts of "Grimmett's Chance" to Nicholas Ridgley and Thomas Worthington in the 1730s. I think he sold to Lucien Duvall as well. Later, in 1774, Brice Howard of Anne Arundell Co, MD, witnessed a deed between John Grimmett (b. 1724) and Electious Harden. Brice Howard was the son of Rachel RIDGELY WORTHINGTON and Cornelius Howard. I would almost swear that the Grimmett's were close friends of the Ridgely/Howard/Worthington/Duvall families, but I can't find any other connections. This deed that Brice Howard witnessed, nonetheless ties Robert (b. ~1680..guess) and John (b. 1724) together indirectly.
One other thing I would like to mention while I have time is John's children. I have found records stating that at least two were born in Maryland. (Solomon and William I believe) Upon doing some background reading in Marylands history, I came across a Col. Nicholas Greenberry, who is also tied into the families mentioned above. Now....look at the names of two of John's children, Nicholas and Greenberry! I know this could all still be a coincidence, but I don't think so.
If anyone has any information to add please do or feel free to comment. I wrote this post hastily while I had the time, but I wanted to put this information out there for you all.

Take care,
Adam Grimmett

Re: Grimmetts of the U.S.

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 4:36AM GMT
Hi Adam,

Any new developments in proving that John Grimmett 1724 was born in MD, the son of Robert Grimmett (abt 1680)?

John

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 12:43PM GMT

Hi John,
I don't have anything new yet. I wish I lived a little closer to Maryland so I could check out the libraries. The only other substantial evidence I've found lies with Solomon Davis. I found a will of a Thomas Davis who died in Anne Arundel in 1756. He left belongings to a "John Gimmet". It also said his father was named "Folk". I suspect this Davis family is the same as John's friend, Solomon Davis, who traveled with him from Maryland to Virginia in 1774. Maybe you could do something with this information.

Thanks!
Adam

A little update

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 4:17AM GMT
Okay so I've been putting so much emphasis on searching for spelling variations of Grimmett recently that I forgot to just try Grimmett itself. :)
I just found three more pieces of useful information in in ONE NIGHT! One piece sort of follows my last post with the Davis'. The next gives the possible name of John's (d. 1712 Calvert, MD) wife. The last bit of information gives a possible name of Robert's (b.~1685) daughter.
Firstly, and probably most important. My last post mentions John Grimmett (probably the one b.1724) in a will of Thomas Davis (son of "Folk") in 1756, Anne Arundel, MD. I JUST found a list of individuals living in the Patuxent Hundred, Prince George's County, MD in 1719.

I found:
Robert Grimmett, Thomas Davis, and Faulk Davis!

This is great because it further connects John Grimmett (b.1724) and Robert Grimmett (b.~1685)with the same Davis family in roughly the same area. I can't prove for sure that this John Grimmett is the one born in 1724, but it seems that this John was born after 1719 because he isn't listed with Robert here in the Patuxent Hundred.
The other two bits of information are short and sweet. A widow Rebecca Grimmett is listed in Calvert, MD in 1712. It mentions a "renunciation of her husband's estate". This would almost have to be John's (d. 1712) wife.
The last tidbit I have is a Mary Grimmat, who testified the will of John Clary who died in 1740, Baltimore County. This could be a possible sister or daughter of Robert Grimmett (b. ~1685), but I haven't found anything else on her.
I hope this information can help tip someone else off who reads it. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to cracking the mystery of our immigration to the U.S.

Adam

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 6:36PM GMT
Something I found today...

A list from "The Virginia Historical Magazine" lists a Solomon Davis,33 years of age in 1777, in Henry County, VA taking an oath of allegiance. This would put his birthday at about 1744. So far I can only find one hit on the LDS website, and the Solomon I found was said to be born in Henry, VA. I have found many inconsistencies with birthplaces on LDS, so I'm not too worried there. What is nice is that his parents are listed as Thomas and Elizabeth Davis. This matches up nicely with the 1756 will of Thomas Davis, son of Folk, in Anne Arundel, MD. Further proof that John Grimmett (b.1724) came to Virginia from Maryland with Solomon Davis and that the Grimmett and Davis families were in Maryland before 1774 and were probably close friends.

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 3:48AM GMT
Thanks Adam.

It seems you have discovered every document that may exist for John and Robert Grimmett.

I wish we had someone with a Grimmett family bible, or maybe a Davis or Ridgely or Worthington family bible that mentioned the Grimmetts. I wonder if the personal letters of the Davis's, Ridgely's and Worthington's mention Grimmetts. We'll probably never know.

Nevertheless, thanks so much for your efforts.

John

Posted: 13 Mar 2010 4:46PM GMT
Thanks John,
I've looked through a very few number of wills and other information on the Worthingtons and Ridgleys that have been posted online. I really wish I had the time and money to research some of the libraries in Anne Arundel, Prince George, and Calvert counties in Maryland. Everything that I have found, to date, has been done using the internet. I'm still fairly new to genealogy research, so I'm sure there are still some untapped resources I don't know of somewhere.
I really love doing the research work on our ancestry.
My biggest goal is to find when and where our Grimmett line came to the U.S., and I really hope the records to prove this are not all lost. I really hate to think we may never know, but sadly, this may be the case.
I'm going to, perhaps, work on the Davis family and see if I can determine when that branch migrated over. Faulke Davis is a very unique name and I've only seen it on the LDS site in Wales and Shropshire during the late 1600's.
Maybe we will find some Grimmett clues there.

Thanks!
Adam

Possible Grimmett migration; PLEASE prove me right or wrong :)

Posted: 15 May 2010 4:19AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2012 6:11AM GMT
Hello everyone,
I haven't found too much more than what I've already posted. However, I'd like to share with you my thoughts on early Grimmett migration in the U.S.
Based on the migration patterns of other families in Maryland in the mid 1700's, I believe that the Grimmett's migrated to Maryland from somewhere at/near Chesapeake, Virginia in the late 1600's. I have a piece of evidence that MAY help prove this.
The Library of Virginia, Ancestry, and World Vital Records all have entries for a John, Alice, Thomas, and Elizabeth "Grinett". The Lib. of Va. even has a copy of a land deed to John in 1635, but I'm rather inexperienced at reading the writing of that time period. I can make out, clearly, that John's first wife was Alice Hooper and his second wife was Elizabeth. The deed mentions Peter Hooper, Alice's son from her first marriage. Ancestry lists Thomas' last name as Grinett, but I can't verify that from the deed.
Although, a Thomas is definitely mentioned. This deed places the "Grinetts" in the Deep Creek area, close to Chesapeake, VA.
In 1692, Baltimore Co., Maryland, a George "Grinnett" was listed as inventorying the estate of John Haddaway/Hathaway. This is the earliest evidence I can find of a possible Grimmett in Maryland.
The only other information I have is for a "Christian Grimmett", who was mentioned in a Surry Co. agreement between Joseph Antrobes and John Salway in 1672. She was a maid, but I'm not sure if she was in Virginia or England at the time.
Based on the above info, I believe that the Grimmett's may have migrated from Chesapeake to Surry Co., Virginia sometime in the late 1600's. If anyone has any information that could prove me wrong or help validate my theory, please feel free to share. I would love to get to the bottom of our family history.

Best Regards,
Adam

Re: Possible Grimmett migration; PLEASE prove me right or wrong :)

Posted: 16 May 2010 4:04PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 26 Jul 2012 6:12AM GMT

Re: Possible Grimmett migration; PLEASE prove me right or wrong :)

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 4:10PM GMT
Adam, I just now read your post and find it most interesting. I see that it was posted May of 2010, so wondered if you have had any more success. I am a member of the DAR and Josiah [also known as Dozier] Grimmett is my patriot, so you can see I am very interested in the family history. Josiah was the son of John Grimmett. If you have found any new data, please let me know.

Martha Gann
mlgrjg@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic