Search for content in message boards

The Descendants of David Daniel Heck by Arch O. Heck, Ph.D.

The Descendants of David Daniel Heck by Arch O. Heck, Ph.D.

James B. Heck (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2001 6:30PM GMT
I am the third son of Arch O. Heck who completed an 11 volumne study of his particular branch of the Heck family. It is housed in the Ohio Geneological Library in Columbus, Ohio. It lists 7797 entries. As I have read the messages on the Heck message board I only see one reference to this study and all of the other references are to Hecks that do not of ring a bell. I did not look them all up but the references were not generally known to me. The line was first firmly found in southwest Va near Natural Bridge. It was hypothsized that the family enter the colonies in Philadelphia in the 1740s. Moved into sw PA and then into Maryland before going to Va. From there the family moved into Tenn. and then to southern Illinois. Father was born in west central Il. in 1887 to Stout and Matilda Heck in a little farming community, Bardolph. Father grew up in Il. and went to Hedding College and then to UI for his masters and on to Columbia and then Ohio State where he completed his PhD. He was a member of the faculty at Ohio State for 35 years and retired in 1958. He then spent the next 12 years researching and writing the geneology which he published in 1970.

If you have a particular question or name that might be in some way related to that historic development, give me a line at
jjheck@earthlink.net

history

Posted: 10 Jun 2001 1:46PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 9:25PM GMT
I am currently looking through the books that Arch O. Heck wrote and there is a lot of information I have found about the Heck family. My husband, David L. Heck, is the great great great great great grandson of Daniel David Heck.

Daniel David Heck, David Heck, David L. Heck, John Wesley Heck, Charles Samuel Heck, Jacob Wesley Heck, Jerry Lee Heck and David L. Heck

Kristina Bowman Heck

Re: The Descendants of David Daniel Heck by Arch O. Heck, Ph.D.

Nancy Shields Higgins (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2001 1:23AM GMT
I am a descendant of David Daniel Heck through Clara Belle Heck and Issac Mathias Shields. I own a set of the work your father did and I find it very helpful.

Re: history

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2001 8:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I followed this lineage of your husband on the chart I have on the family of Daniel David Heck.
I am a great-great-great-great grandchild of Daniel David Heck and Elizabeth McClean.
My lineage is
David Daniel Heck---- David Heck----Samuel M.Heck(Brother to David L) -- David Benton------Ward Roy(mygrandfather) -----Richard Ward (My father) ---to myself ( Nancy Anne)
Interesting to talk to others in this family.

Nancy (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2001 12:37AM GMT
I am a descendant of Daniel David Heck (1760-1835)and his wife Elizabeth McClean. Not sure how many children they had, but I'm a decendant of their child David Heck (1783-1878). He may have been their only child?
David and his wife Magdelene Spitler had 4 children-------David L, Anna Heck Shank, John D. and Samuel M.

Samuel is the child that I descend from.------Samuel and Cathern Warner had 8 children. I am descended from their son David Benton and his wife Susan Bultz------these are the parents of my grandfather--Ward Roy Heck (who was 1 of 10 children)----who had my father Richard Ward Heck (1 of 5 children)----to myself Nancy Heck--there's one more generation after myself.

Would be interested in getting info from any Daniel David descendants---would be interested to see where all the lines go.
(From what I understand Daniel David also had 2 other wifes---Susanna zollman with whom he had 5 children and Susan gutherie with whom he had 5 children.)

Re: history

James Heck (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2001 1:41AM GMT
Hi Nancy, thanks for the note. This summer the descendants of David Stout (DS) Heck met in family reunion. This is the fourth reunion over the past 8 years. We had a great time and expect to meet again in four years. My family (Arch O. Heck's youngest son) get together at least once a year and this year we have seen much of each other although we are scattered in Texas, Florida and Ohio. Best wishes, Jim Heck

Louise Mcky (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2001 3:21PM GMT
James, I am looking for the parents of Arthur McCoy and Christiana Heck-Hack who were married on 12-24-1822 in Rockbridge, Virginia. Arthur was the son of John McKoy & Lois..... Christiana was the daughter of Daniel David Heck/Hack and Susannah Zollman. Christiana was born c1796 died 9-12-1834? Arthur was born 1-24-1781 in Rockbridge,Va and died 5-29-1851/7. Arthur McCoy was married to Salley Edley in Rockbridge,Va. 10-24-1807. She was the daughter of David, Dec. at time of marriage. They had one son John Andrew McCoy. These are the children of Arthur & Christiana: Amanda Jane; Daniel; Wm. Henry; Harvey W; Thomas F.; Mary Ann; Philander C.; and Emily. I have the marriage license for Arthur but I believe I got the children from someone on an e-mail letter or a cenus. The marriages can be found in the Rockbridge, Va. Marriages. Arthur had a brother Daniel who married Sarah Slaughter on 2-14-1815 in Rockbridge. He was also the son of John & Lois... per his mg. certificate. I would appreciate hearing from you as I am trying to find out where the McCoys came from. I am searching for Edmond, my gg-grandfather. I have tied Edmond in to John but he was older and his license was not signed by parents. They were all three married by Samuel Houston in Rockbridge, Va. If you have any information that could help me I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you. Sincerely Ann L.

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 10:22PM GMT
Dear Ann Louise, I have done a short review of "The Descendants" and find that Christiana Heck (not Hack) is listed as the #5 entry in the study in Vol. 1 on page 106. She married Arthur McCoy 12-4-1822. She was born in 1796 and died 9-12-1834; he was born 1-24-1787 and died 5-29-1871. They had 7children in addition to the 6 children that Arthur brought to this his second marrage. They moved to Highland County Ohio by soon after the marrage and are listed in the census there in 1818. A number of their decendents continue to reside in Highlands County Ohio. There is no reference to the parents of Arthur McCoy so I fear that I can be of little help on that search. I can confirm that your reference to Hack is in error.

Hope this is helpful. James B. Heck

Posted: 20 Oct 2001 11:47AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2002 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Heck/Senft/Sinift/Sanderson
Jim,Elizabeth Heck of Perry Co., Ohio was born in 1822/23. She firstmarried Jacob Sanderson, was widowed and in the early1860s Married Jacob Senft/Sinift.She had two sons, one died in infancy, her second son, my GrandfatherJames Milton Sinift was born in1864. I have not proven 100% shewas my GrGrandmother. The facts all point this way however.The name Maria spelled Marhea seems to come from my Elizabeth.She is thought to be from theHeck family who came from So Pa.to Ohio, early 1800s.Any help appreciated.Sandy

Posted: 21 Oct 2001 11:54PM GMT
Sandra, I find reference to the Frederick Heck Family of Perry County Ohio on page 30 of AO Heck's The Descendants of Daniel David Heck. I also find reference to a daughter Eliabeth but the dates do not work. There is also a reference to Maria born Sept 20, 1808 and Died August 11, 1878. The assumtion of the writer is that she was never married. That seems to be all I can find. If you are in Ohio, Dad's book is in the Ohioanna Library that is part of the Ohio State Library. It was in the state office building years ago but is likely moved by now. Good luck on your hunt.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions