Search for content in message boards

Martha Taylor Yates-John Wilson Pepper?

Martha Taylor Yates-John Wilson Pepper?

K Cave (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2006 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Oct 2006 2:41AM GMT
Surnames: PEPPER TAYLOR YATES
Is anyone related to or have info on these people? They are my gg-grandparents. I guess Martha was half Cherokee, or enough to have this emblem put on her tombstone. She was born abt 1847 and married to John Wilson Pepper in Alabama. What info I have says John moved to (or back to) Ala and lived with an Indian tribe after he came home from the Civil War. That's where he met and Married Martha, it appears. They had about 15 kids and eventually moved to Texas where she died in 1890. I have nothing about John being her 2nd husband so not sure why her name was Taylor Yates--or how they named girls back than. I'm guessing Martha's mother may have been the full blood Cherokee--unless the whole tribe took English names. Would appreciate any finds. What I have was sent to me by a relative. Thank you.

Re: Martha Taylor Yates-John Wilson Pepper?

Janice Wright (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2006 1:35AM GMT
What emblem are you talking about? You didn't include it.

Jan

K Cave (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2006 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: PEPPER TAYLOR YATES RICHARDSON
I forgot where I filed the photo of the tombstone, but I think it had a sun (or star, maybe) with 7 points and an inscription I could not make out well in the photo, but looks like it could read Cherokee Nation or National something....around the sun. It's on her headstone. Someone told me you are only entitled to have that if you are a certain percentage of Cherokee, at least, this is what I was told--I have no idea, as I'm just now starting to research this branch of my family. It sure can get confusing.

Chinossa (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2006 2:57PM GMT
Since you are just starting out trying to research natives, let me give you a word of advice--- believe very little of "what you are told"-- and that includes some special symbol or "star" on a tombstone!

Do your own research, starting with yourself and don't be foolish enough to "assume" ANYTHING. Click on http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/page_1.htm for good instructions.

Chinossa
Tahlequah, CN

Meg Whisenhunt (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2006 6:02PM GMT
Since your family names include the Yates surname, it might be helpful to do a 'google' search on Don Panther Yates. Not sure if he still maintains it, but, several years ago Don had a very informative web site. He has done lots of serious genealogy research. He is also well versed in the history of the Cherokees and other associated tribes.

Although all the advice about relying only on what you can docuement is good, know that if you are researching Cherokee families, you are truly blessed. Almost no other Native American tribe has been so thoroughly documented for so many generations.

Good luck.
Meg

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 9:22PM GMT
John Wilson Pepper was my great grandmother, married to Martha Taylor Yates. Yes, they did have 15 children. Following the death of Martha 5/12/1890, he married my great grandmother, Josephene Melear. They had only 1 child together, my grandmother, Emily Pepper. I have photos and information, but no photos of Martha.

Posted: 31 Jul 2007 9:24PM GMT
OOPS - tired today. Meant John Wilson Pepper was my great GRANDFATHER - NATURALL, NOT MY GRANDMOTHER. LOL.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions