The Halls were ancestors of a relative of mine:
The U.S. GenWeb shows Sylvester Hall buried at the Maplewood Cemetery, 130th St. & 17th St. along with wife Harriett. He was listed at age 71, however I do not have the actual DOD.
History of Allegan County by Dr. Henry F. Thomas 1907 pg 593: Salem - A society was organized in Salem in 1856. From the old log schoolhouse on section 9 the chuch was able to transfer its meetings to its own house of worship in 1869, the building being erected on section 8. Some of the first members were: Robert Pettengal and wife, John Newell and wife, Ira Smith and wife and James Burnip and wife. Elder Buck was their preacher in 1860-61. The list of ministers is not complete. A few years later the church had a big increase of membership under Rev. Ferguson while the house of worship was still under construction. During W. N. Breidenstein’s ministry Salem, Dorr and Monterey were set apart from the Gaines circuit and obtained a resident pastor, a parsonage being built half a mile south of the church. S. Irwin and S. G. Lake followed and about 1882 the church building was sold for a schoolhouse and the present building erected. The trustees at the time were: I. J. Bear, J. Newell, A. Twining, A. Heasley and William Fleetwood, the last named having kindly furnished this information. The successive minsters since then have been: C. B. Whitaker, H.S. Shafer, Rev. Mead, H. T. Barnaby and H. H. Halsey. At this time there was a division in the church, and the settlement of title to the property was made a test case and decided in the supreme court of the state, control of the property being finally vested with the old church. Since then the ministers have been: A. Batdorff, L. J. Batdorff, N. V. Miller, S. G. Hall, R. S. Bowman, H. H. Halsey, A. Bostwick and O. Leash
S.G. Hall is listed in the last sentence.
This is an interesting excerpt: Floyd A. Loew states in writings of his that it would be next to impossible to bring up a true history of the Loew family in the Salem area without referring to difficulties within the United Brethren Church. Before trouble in the church started, it was a friendly Christian community. People helped each other to build their homes and barns, thresh each other’s grains (and) helped do the chores when serious sickness struck a family. They worked to build a church two and a half miles north of Burnips. It was a stately, well-built edifice, and it was across the road from the grade school. The love and respect for each other started to break up when Rev. S. G. Hall was expelled from the ministry of the United Brethren Church because it was discovered that he chewed tobacco. At the same time, a group called the Pilgrim Holiness Church started a move to take over the United Brethren Church membership. Some members remained loyal to the U.B. Church and some left. The result was that brother stopped talking to brother and sister stopped visiting sister. The wrangling that followed resulted in the closing of the U.B. Church. The Holiness group had (its) college and headquarters in Owosso, Mich. A small number of those in charge of the Owosso church holdings started to contact people, offering to pay 10 percent interest on church bonds. The multiple sale of the bonds was illegal, but many people trusted the church and some put in their life’s savings - only to end up losing their money. The worthless paper was not only sold to members of the church but to many people in the Ovid and Owosso area. Rev. John Batdorff stood in front of the U.B. Salem church shortly after it was closed and said, “We should leave this church stand as a monument to bigotry.” excerpt from Loew History by Floyd A. Loew pg 11