Search for content in message boards

Alexander McKee, born 13 Dec 1819 in Indiana died 20 Feb 1922 in Lapwai Idaho.

Alexander McKee, born 13 Dec 1819 in Indiana died 20 Feb 1922 in Lapwai Idaho.

Posted: 3 Mar 2014 12:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have hit a dead end after enless hours/days/weeks/months searching for our GreatGrandfather's parents. He died at the age of 102 in Lapwai Idaho. The earliest confirmed records I have for him are for his son's birth in 1864 in Hamilton County Ohio and 1870 census in Lone Oaks, Bates County, Missouri. His son, our Grandfather, Albert, stated place of birth on Alexander's death certificate as Indiana. Alexander told his family that he was a direct descendent of Col. Alexander McKee, renowned British Indian Agent, who lived and died in later years in Ontario, Canada.
Any information or advice for further research would be very helpful. I have tried searching backwards from this Col. Alexander, and his son Thomas (tons of information available) to no avail. There has to be at least one generation between Thomas and our Great Grandfather Alexander.

Re: Alexander McKee, born 13 Dec 1819 in Indiana died 20 Feb 1922 in Lapwai Idaho.

Posted: 3 Mar 2014 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: McKee Davidson Seivers
I have an Alexander McKee born about 1829 probably in Franklin county Indiana. He was the son of Alexander McKee and grandson of Samuel and Rachel Davidson McKee. Samuel McKee died in Cincinnati about 1824 and Alexander senior in Grant county Indiana about 1844. Samuel's land was left to his son Lewis. Lewis died intestate in 1872 in Cincinnati. There was a suit for partition of the land, and as part of it the following notice was published:
Cincinnati Daily Enquirer
20 Sep 1875 p 5
LEGAL
THE STATE OF OHIO HAMILTON COUNTY, the Court of Common Plead,-Eli A. Osborm, plaintiff, vs. Eli C. McKee et al, defendants.-No. 43,513.-The unknown heirs of Alexander McKee, deceased, will take notice that on TUESDAY, the 5th day of October, A. D. 1875, the plaintiff above named will take the depositions of Alexander McKee, jun., and others, sundry witnesses, to be used as evidence on the trial of the above cause, at the office of H. Clay Tutt, in the town of Pepinsville, in the county of Bates, in the state of Missouri, between the hours of 8 o`clock a.m. and 6 o`clock p.m. of said day, and that the taking of the same will be adjourned from day to day, between the same hours, until they are completed.
JOHN K. LOVE
Attorney for Plaintiff
September 20, 1875. sc20-3tMo

Alexander junior was listed as a minor in 1846 as part of his father's estate, and as 21 in 1850 in Grant county living with his brother George W and as 24 in 1860 in Goodhue Minnesota next to his brother Francis Marion McKee. I lost track of him after that. One sister stayed in Minnesota and other siblings ended up in Iowa.
I think that it is a good possibility that he is your Alexander, although he had to be about 10 years younger than what you have.
If you are a member of Ancestry you can see him here in my McKee research tree:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/32610357/person/18295940596/f...

By the way, Alexander and Hanna Seiver were married in 1863 in Warren county Ohio:
Alexander Mckee, "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994"
Name: Alexander Mckee
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 26 Nov 1863
Event Place: Warren, Ohio, United States
Birth Year (Estimated):
Birthplace:
Father's Name:
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Name: Hannah Maria Cever
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Father's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Titles and Terms:
Reference ID:
GS Film Number: 000964270
Digital Folder Number: 004732960
Image Number: 00638
Sources
Citing this Record

"Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2QQT-6SL : accessed 03 Mar 2014), Alexander Mckee and Hannah Maria Cever, 26 Nov 1863; citing Warren, Ohio, United States, reference ; FHL microfilm 000964270.

Terry

Re: Alexander McKee, born 13 Dec 1819 in Indiana died 20 Feb 1922 in Lapwai Idaho.

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 7:42AM GMT
Thank you Terry for taking the time to reply. This has been very helpful, giving me a push to reorganize my search records. I had saved many of the same references for further research because the locations are all relevant to our Alexander, but I put them aside because I couldn't connect this family to Col. Alexander McKee, b. 1725-35 at McKee's Half
Falls, PA and his son Thomas b. 1770 at Chilchote, Ohio. Both were Indian Agents. They both died in Canada. McKee's Falls, (or was it McKee's Rock) PA was named after this Alexander McKee.

Anyhow, Our family lore, based upon information from our Alexander and his son Albert, has led us to believe that he was a direct descendant of This Col. Alexander McKee. I'm rethinking this thanks to you. I think that they are probably all related and forefathers came to near the same location in PA arriving at different times. They sure did like the name "Alexander" and "Thomas" etc. etc.

Thank you so very much for the Marriage information. Hannah Seevers, Seivers, Levers, and now Cever was married prior to Alexander to Ausburn Morris Davison (or Davidson) prior to Alex, had two children who were raised as McKees until Francis found out his biological father was Davidson and thus took his name. 1950 census, Hannah Seevers was living with her parents in Franklin, Warren, Ohio, 1960 Census, Hannah Levers with same family and her two children, Victoria and Francis Davison in Columbia, Hamilton, Ohio and finally in 1970 in Lone Oaks, Bates, Mo, with Alexander McKee and son Albert. That census shows him at 41 yrs. of age which would concur with birth date ab 1829. His age varies in later census records. Gotta wonder???

He homesteaded in 1883 160 acres and acquired. with his sons, over three thousand of acres in what is now Kendrick, Idaho and was well respected in the community. Albert's obit states that Alexander, the father, three times crossed the plains to the Pacific Coast by ox-team. After one such expedition, the family came in a schooner from California in 1883. That too sounds like a lot of miled to cover in those days from 1870 - 1883. Whew! Gotta wonder.

Anyhow, I am going to follow through with your records and see where it takes us.
Thank you again. I was about to put this to rest. You have renewed my intrigue.

Lyn McKee (Mrs. Robert McKee)

Posted: 10 Mar 2014 5:37AM GMT
Hi Terry,
I want to thank you for the lead. After reviewing your records and mine, I've decided that I must go with this family line. There are too many similarities and connections to assume that our Alexander McKee could belong any where else. I have touched on these connections in my research but have continued to move on based upon our family claims passed down from him and his son Albert. I can't imagine why he would claim an earlier birth date and why the family so proudly laid claim to descending from an entirely different family history.

Also, your vast collection of data pertaining to our ancestors is a treasure trove of information for me. I thank you for sharing that as well.

Now, I am trying to figure out how Alexander and Samuel McKee both have wife (s) "Nance" as stated in indentured document State of Indiana Franklin County 7th day of October 1819. Same person? Recorded 4th May 1821. I have to put this to bed for awhile and catch up in the current world. Maybe a trip east will be necessary in the next 12 months.

Again, thank you. Maybe the families will connect somewhere along the line eventually.

Lyn

Posted: 10 Mar 2014 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: McKee Lanpher Ramsey
Look at the 1819 land deed again on my tree. For some reason I didn't have the complete deed. Its there now. The point was that in this deed Samuel and his wife Nancy and Alexander and his wife Nance all signed. This was necessary I think because of dower rights. When Samuel and Alexander sold the land to brother Lewis in 1821 only Samuel's wife Nancy signed, no wife shown for Alexander. Because of that I assumed that Alexander's wife Nance had died. Therefore I think that George W was the only child Alexander had with Nance, and the rest were with a different wife. There is a record in 1823 for a marriage in Butler county Ohio for an Alexander McKee and Eleanor Lanpher that I think might be a possibility, but I don't have enough information to go with that.
When I put this information on my tree for this family I added all the information I had on the older Samuel, but I am sceptical of some of it. The McKee's fort story seems unlikely for one. And I have a problem with the Revolutionary war soldier a lot of people associate him with. There was a Samuel McKee who filed for a Revolutionary War pension in 1818 in Franklin county Ohio (Columbus area). This Samuel stated:
I am by occupation a weaver and constantly disabled by a soreness in the leg and no family but a wife 55 years old me myself 67 years old.
Samuel McKey
17 Jul 1820
Value of Property $57.44 total debt $32.50.
He died July 20 1822 in Franklin county. If you look at Samuel McKee's will in Hamilton county on my tree in 1824 he seemed quite wealthy, and of course had a large family. I think he was probably a Revolutionary War soldier, but possibly never applied for a pension, not needing one. But that is just speculation. And I don't understand why he would have been in Franklin county Ohio.
I think I'll add your Alexander to this family in my tree. It seems extremely unlikely that there were two Alexander McKee juniors born in Indiana in Bates county Missouri in 1872. I had seen the Alexander in the 1870 census in Bates county, but had discounted him because of the two older children who weren't with the Alexander I was researching in 1860. But I see from your information that those children were from his wife's first marriage, so it could be the same one.

Terry

I am adding the land deeds mentioned above for anyone who might be interested but can't see my tree:
This indenture made and entered into this sixth day of October eighteen hundred and nineteen between Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee of the state of Ohio on the one part and Allen Ramsey of the county of Franklin State of Indiana of the other part whereas the said parties of the first part are indebted to the said Allen Ramsey in two several notes of hand one bearing date on the eleventh day of February last preceding the date hereof and being for eight hundred & ninety four dollars & fifty cents payable three years after the date of the said note the then bearing date on the eleventh day of October in the year aforesaid and given for five hundred & thirty dollars and payable two years after the date of the said last mentioned note. And being desirous to guarantee and secure to the said Allen Ramsey the said several sums of money at the times above specified.have in consideration thereof and also for the sum of one dollar to them in hand paid by the said Allen Ramsey at and before the signing and sealing of these presents grant bargain & sell unto the said Allen Ramsey his heirs & assigns all that certain tract or parcel of land situated lying and being in the county of Franklin state of Indiana and more particularly described in a certain patent known and designated by its being the southeast quarter of section fourteen of township eight range two west of the meridian of the lands directed to be sold at Cincinnati by an act of congress which is more particularly described in a certain patent executed to the said Ramsey for the same. To have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land together with all and singular the rights members and appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any way appertaining unto the said Allen Ramsay his heirs and assigns forever and the said Alexander and Samuel C McKee for themselves their heirs do hereby covenant and agree to and with the said Allen Ramsey his heirs that they the said Alexander and Samuel C the said tract of land with all and singular the rights members and appurtenances thereunto belonging unto the said Allen Ramsey his heirs against the claim or claims of all and every person or persons whomsoever claiming or hereafter to claim by through or under them or either of them will forever warrant & defend by these presents.
Provided nevertheless and it is the true intent and meaning of these presents that should the above Alexander & Samuel C McKee their heirs well and truly pay off and discharge the said several sums of money at the time specified in the said notes and according to the tenor and effect thereof to the said Allen Ramsey or heirs as in the said notes mentioned then these premises and every part and sentence thereof shall be null and void and of no force and obligation anything herein contained to the contrary notwithstanding. In testimony whereof the parties to these presents have hereunto put their hands and affixed their seals the day and year first above written.
In presence of
David Case Samuel C McKee seal
Received of Alexander and Sam`l McKee Nancy McKee her mark
the above grantors full compensation for the Alexander McKee seal
above mortgage or obligation Nance McKee her mark
April 15 1824
Allen Ramsey
(State of Indiana Franklin County)
Be it remembered that on the 7th day of October 1819 personally came before me David Case one of the Justices of the peace in and for the said county Samuel C McKee and his wife Nance McKee and Alexander McKee and his wife Nance McKee the within named grantors who acknowledge this with testament to their voluntary act and deed for the use and purposes mentioned with the said Nance and Nance being examined separate from their husbands and apart as the law directs.
Sworn under my hand and seal this 7th day of October 1819
David Case J.P. seal
Recorded 4th May 1821

This indenture made the twenty seventh day of March in the year of the Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty one between Alexander McKee & Samuel C McKee of Franklin County & state of Indiana of the one part and Lewis McKee of Hamilton county and the state of Ohio of the other part. Witnesseth that the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee for and in consideration of the sum of three thousand two hundred and seventy six dollars lawful money of the United States to them the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee in hand paid the Receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged before the signing & delivering of these presents hath granted bargained & sold and by these presents do grant bargain & sell and confirm into the aforesaid Lewis McKee his heirs and assigns forever: two distinct tracts or parcels of land situate on White water in the Country & state aforesaid the one lying & being in township number eight section number 14 range number two in the south side of the northeast quarter of the section aforesaid (west of a meridian line drawn from the mouth of the great Miami river) of lands directed to be sold at Cincinnati under an act of congress in that case made and provided; beginning in the west line of said quarter section & running south four degrees east sixty one poles to a buckeye thence north eighty five east one hundred & sixty five poles to the middle of White Water river thence up said river with the several courses thereof about two hundred poles to the beginning containing sixty two acres & ninety eight & one half poles more or less. The other the southeast quarter of section fourteen of township eight of range two (also west of said meridian) situate lying & being in the county of Franklin & state of Indiana. To have and to hold the above described lands with the appurtenances hereby released & conveyed unto the said Lewis McKee his heirs & assigns forever and the said Alexander McKee & Samuel C McKee for themselves their heirs executors and administrators the aforesaid described lands with the appurtenances unto the said Lewis McKee his heirs & assigns against the claim or claims of all & every person or persons will warrant and forever defend by these presents. In witness whereof the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee and Nancy McKee wife of said Samuel C McKee who hereby relinquishes all her right of dower in the premises with the appurtenances herein & hereby conveyed have hereunto set their hands & seals the day and year above sworn.
Robert Elliott Alexander McKee seal
James Mewhin Samuel C McKee seal
Nancy McKee her mark
State of Indiana
Franklin County
Personally came before me the undersigned one of the peace in and for said county Alexander McKee Samuel C McKee within named grantors doth acknowledge the within Deed to be their voluntary act for the uses and purposes therein contained. Given under my hand and seal this 27th day of April 1821
Recorded 1st March 1822 Hugh May

per page

Find a board about a specific topic