Search for content in message boards

Daniel Allen NEAL, b1792 - New Jersey or New Hampshire (marr. Polly SHAW of New Brunswick)

Daniel Allen NEAL, b1792 - New Jersey or New Hampshire (marr. Polly SHAW of New Brunswick)

Posted: 2 Dec 2013 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neal, Shaw, Wilkins, Kidder
Hello,

I haven't thought about my NEAL ancestors for several years, but was reminded of them earlier this morning. By looking at archives of Lists and Boards, I was reminded that my ancestor, Mary Ann NEAL, born ~1815 in New Brunswick, had her father, Daniel Allen NEAL.

Researchers differ on where Daniel was born in 1792, but I would tend to believe that he was born in Plainfield, New Jersey, and not in Plainfield, New Hampshire. His family, or he, must have moved to New Brunswick or Maine, as his wife, Polly SHAW, was born in New Brunwick.

Daniel and Polly NEAL might have had 6 children, and some researchers have their children's names. I am interested in their daughter, Mary Ann, who married near Amity, Maine, to George Freeman WILKINS - before 1840. They had 10 children, and I am descended from their daughter, Clarissa, who married her cousin, Joseph KIDDER. The WILKINS family initially lived in Maine and then moved to Canterbury, York, New Brunswick - 1850's? Some of the children were born there. After Mary died there, George and some of his children moved back to Maine, and he remarried there.

I was wondering if anyone has found more information on this NEAL family.

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

(on Lists and Boards for 12 yrs.; now an Admin for 10 Lists and 5 Boards,
including some for CAN-USA-Migration )

P.S. From memory at 6 am, I believe someone told me the name was NEAL. There was another family nearby with the O'NEAL name.

Re: Daniel Allen NEAL, b1792 - New Jersey or New Hampshire (marr. Polly SHAW of New Brunswick)

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 3:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neal, Shaw
Hi again,

I had some time this weekend to look at this family again. It seems that Daniel Allen NEAL was born in NH, and in 1790 there were no NEAL families in NJ.

And, several researchers on-line have him born in 1792 in Sullivan Co., NH, but I looked it up and that county didn't begin until ~1830. So, in the 1790 to 1820 census records it would have been Cheshire Co. And that is on the VT border. (Most NEAL's were in Portsmouth, NH, at that time.)

It seems either Daniel NEAL, or his parents, migrated to New Brunswick ~1810. As Daniel was marrying in New Brunswick, Canada, in 1814. He married Mary / Polly SHAW. One researcher has them having 11 children, half born in N.B. and the 2nd half in Maine. I am interested in their daughter, Mary Ann MEAL, born ~1815. She married near Amity, ME, during 1830's.

I just rechecked census pages, and in 1790 there were 2 families in Cheshire Co., NH. They were: So, one of them could have been Daniel's father.

NEAL, WILLIAM (1790 U.S. Census)
NEW HAMPSHIRE , CHESHIRE, UNITY
Series: M637 Roll: 5 Page: 126

NEAL, AMOS (1790 U.S. Census)
NEW HAMPSHIRE , CHESHIRE, PACKERSFIELD
Series: M637 Roll: 5 Page: 126

In 1800, there were William, Walter, and Samuel NEAL in Unity, NH (Cheshire Co.) In 1810, William and Samuel were there but not Walter.

The 1820 census has a James NEAL and Samuel NEAL living in Cheshire Co., NH. I suppose one of them could have been Daniel's father. But, if there is a chance Daniel's father migrated to Canada with him, then we still don't know who his father was.

Daniel's family is mentioned at the WorldConnect Project, and one has the names of the 11 children. The sons are listed as John, James, Daniel, John, Levi, and Samuel.

(The 1860 census still has 4 families living in Unity, NH (now Sullivan Co.), all men in their 50's.)

Does anyone know whether any of the NEAL families mentioned above were always in NH?

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. I see that this Board is not gatewayed to the NEAL List. Perhaps researchers should consider posting there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions