Search for content in message boards

Fardal

Fardal

Charles Pedersen (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2003 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone please tell me how to find the Mandel on the map? My grandmother was born there in 1891.

Re: Fardal

PR (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2003 12:00AM GMT
Was "Mandel" a city? I don't know of anything with a perfectly matching spelling BUT there is Mandal in Vest Agder Norway (check the far southern coast on the map) and a Mandal in Telemark - just northwest of the town of Seljord.

Does "Fardal" have some significance to your query?

Taryn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2003 1:08AM GMT
There is a Fardal main farm in Vest Agder on the 1886 farm tax census.

Fylke: Vest-Agder
Kommune: Søndre Undal
Sogn: Valle
Gårdsnummer: 103
Gammelt matrikkelnr: 185
Navn på gård: Fardal

Other than that, I don't know anything about it, but maybe if you supplied Grandma's name, she's on the 1900 census?

Chuck Pedersen (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2003 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Pedersen, Olsen.
Sorry, I did mis-spell Mandal. My Grandmother, Ingeborg Olsen, was born there in 1891, and supposedly was raised on the Fardal farm. I am attempting to get as much information on her and my Grandfather Carl Pedersen, born 1885 in Hafslo, so that when I make the trip to Norway I can be prepared to visit these places and perhaps get more information on my great grandparents an further back if possible. Thanks for your reply, and any information on resources for finding old records of this type would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.....Chuck Pedersen.
Posted: 22 Nov 2003 10:03AM GMT
Fardal is a farm at the main road 15 km west of Mandal town, near the southern point of Norway.

A map link: http://kart.norge.no/default.asp?st=fylker&coordType=img...

The farm in 1900 census: http://129.177.171.80/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&f...

PR (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2003 6:28PM GMT
A great majority of Norwegian records are available for use on microfilm. Check at your nearest LDS Family History Center for how to order them.
Good advice here on how to use the old records -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
You may as well be well practiced before your trip.

Posted: 24 Nov 2003 9:01AM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2005 12:15PM GMT
Chuck,
Before you start searching parish records you ought to be aware of the fact that Fardal is not in the parish of Mandal. Have you any documentation that your grandmother was actually born in Mandal? If you are relying on oral information then Ingeborg might well have said she came from Mandal since hardly anyone would have heard of Fardal. Or the family could have originated from Fardal and then followed the general drift of population into more urban settings at the end of the 19th century and moved to Mandal. I feel sure that you will enjoy your trip to south Norway, but wait until the summer and don't come today as it is cold and grey and miserable.
Derek

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 10:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2005 12:15PM GMT
Chuck,
The Fardal farm lies in the local authority of Sør-Audnedal. I looked through the local "bygdebok" of the district. There are some 6 or 7 seven pages devoted to Fardal, but no mention of an Ingeborg Olsen. Fardal is in the parish of Valle, Vest-Agder. The parish registers are in the Regional Records Office here in Kristiansand, so are the records from Mandal under the heading of the joint parishes of Halse and Mandal. Hafslo is a fjord settlement in the west of the country, but there is a copy of the local history book with details of farms and families in the Regional Records Office here in Kristiansand.

finn olav sveinall (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2004 10:10AM GMT
Hi
Mandal is a beautiful city on the southcoast of norway. I was born there but now live in Oslo. Derek is right about the fact that she may be from fardal and say that she is from mandal.
If you want some information about the place before your holiday you can send me a mail. fosvein@online.no
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions