Search for content in message boards

Edgefield,SC - Ezekiel McClendon

Edgefield,SC - Ezekiel McClendon

Dr. Tim McClendon (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2001 3:23PM GMT
I am an Edgefield,SC native. My known tree goes back through Ralph T. McClendon 1916-2000; Luther Jack McClendon 1877-1960; Daniel Byrd McClendon 1839-1903; Joel McClendon c. 1796-c.1875; Ezekiel C.1776-c. 1830. I have a copy of Ezekiel's will dated 1818 that lists children in order: Jesse, Allen, John, Joel, and Frances. Can anyone verify his father as Joel of Anson County, NC? Also would like to know more about Ezekiel, i.e. exact birth/death and place, same with his son Joel and siblings. Thanks!

McClendon

Arnold Horton Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2001 7:41PM GMT
Tim, I have 1395 pages in WordPerfect on the descendents of John McClendon/Mecklenden who was born and died in Scotland. This incudes your line. My wife, Bonnie Imogene (Rains) Wilson, is a descendant also. I have you in my records as Reverend William Timothy McClendon. Is this correct?
Arnold Horton Wilson
1102 Elm Street
Albertville AL 35950-2746
256 878-7232
ahwilson@prodigy.net

McClendons/Mclendons

Ann Knighton (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2001 12:30PM GMT
Tim
Have you run across an Amon or Fulton
McClendon in your research? Amon born
in Edgefield in l840. Later in east AL.
where he died. I am stuck at this point.
Fulton MIGHT have been his father.
Thanks for any help.
Ann

McClendons/Mclendons

Posted: 30 May 2001 12:33PM GMT
Arnold
Do you have any mention of an Amon or
Fulton McClendon in your papers? Amon
born Edgefield SC in l840. I cannot get
beyond this point. Could Fulton have
been his father? l840 census had a Fulton
with children who could possibly be Amon.Appreciate any info.
Ann

Amon Fulton

Arnold Horton Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2001 7:05PM GMT
Ann,
Amon Hughs McClendon was the son of the Joel who married Adaline Jones. I do not have a McClendon with the given name "Fulton." I have a spiral bound edition which traces Amon back to John in Scotland. I think I have communicated before. Arnold

McClendons

Posted: 1 Jun 2001 4:13PM GMT
Arnold
We may well have commuicated before. I lose
track. . . Amon Hughis not my ancestor or
so I believe. My Amon was born in l840 and
was married by l860 to Mary Ann Whatley and
living in AL. The other Amon was younger if
my memory serves me correctly and lived in
Tennessee. I have that info from another
researcher. The same name and the fact that
they both were from SC might mean something.
I just wish I knew what! Thanks for reply.
Ann

Re: Edgefield,SC - Ezekiel McClendon

Francyne Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2001 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McClendon
I'm looking for ancestors of Robert Gillis McClendon (or Gillis Robert McClendon) from the SC or NC area. Gillis McClendon was my great grandfather and came to Arkansas after the Civil War. He had run away from home--so the story goes--in either NC or SC as a young boy after hitting his step-mother in the head with a piece of firewood to stop her from whipping his sister. He worked cotton boats up and down the coast between there and NY until the war. After marrying in Arkansas, he and his wife came to Texas where several children were born and they eventually settled in Oklahoma. Any info or sites in the SC/NC area would be appreciated.

Re: McClendon

Cathy Riecke (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2002 10:37PM GMT
Perhaps you could help me by sharing which McClendon family lived in SC abt 1800. I believe they later moved to Amite Co, MS. This family had a daughter "Martha" b1800-05 but I cannot find a family for her. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Cathy

Harriet (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2003 1:27AM GMT
Like you, I would like to know who this particular Ezekiel's father is. I know that his daughter Frances/Fannie married Gasper Gallman (b ~1797 in Edgefield) on 21 Nov 1738 in Edgefield. Gasper is the nephew of my 4g grandfather, so this is a very collateral line in which I have done little original research. Most family historians say that Ezekiel (b. ~1776) was the son of Joel (b. 1716) McClendon and Tamar Beverly. I suspect that there is a missing Ezekiel between Joel and your Ezekiel, since Joel and Tamar married before 1750, and 1776 would be extremely late for her to be having more children.

On the 1778-79 Jury Lists of Ninety-Six District, Edgefield County, section "Between Turkey Creek and the Savannah River", a Joel McClendon and Ezekiel McClendon are listed next door to one another. They were the only McClendons in Ninety-Six, and lived very near Vann Swearengain (sic) Junr. Other spellings for the younger Ezekiel's in-laws in SC records include Swearingin, Swearingen, Swearinggam, Swearingham, Swearinger, Swearinggen, Swearingin, and Swearnggen--never Swearington. A juror was an adult male head-of-household who had paid property taxes in the previous year, so the Ezekiel who was an adult in 1778-9 was the son of Joel and Tamar. (Ezekiel, son of Dennis McClendon, was documentably living in NC that year.)

Young Ezekiel, born in ~1776, might "possibly" have been the son of Joel, although unlikely to be a son of the aging Tamar. But it seems far more likely that he was Joel's grandson through a father Ezekiel. I have no documentation to support this, other than the fact that Ezekiel was the only McClendon besides Joel in that neck of the woods during the 1770's. By the time of the 1790 Census, no McClendons were listed in Edgefield (or elsewhere in the Old Ninety-Six District), but appeared in the neighboring southern part of Orangeburgh District. The households there were headed by Bryant, John, Shadrach, and William McClendon. No Ezekiels at all in the 1790 SC Census, or even in 1800.

Tim McClendon (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 4:37PM GMT
Thanks for your info! Here's as much as I know for sure: I have a copy of deed from 1791 from Capt. Vann Swearingen to Ezekiel McClendon, have copy of land conveyance from Ezekiel and wife Terry to Benjamin Darby in 1793. Also have Deed of Gifts to Ezekiel's sons dated Feb. 27, 1817 to Jesse, Allen, John, and Joel. I don't know why they weren't in 1790 or 1800 census. For the life of me, I can't even find right now the reference for Joel McClendon that lists him as a "Hatter" in 96 District and of Anson Co., NC. Would love to have it. I do have notes of Frances/Fanny dau. of Ezekiel and sister to Jesse, Allen, John, and Joel but not sure where/how I found it. If you have a good source, please let me know. I do know for sure that Joel McClendon married Sara Bird/Byrd. Their son Daniel Byrd McClendon was my great-grandfather. Connecting this Joel to this Ezekiel is difficult and also this Ezekiel, as you agree, to Joel the Hatter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dr. Tim McClendon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions