Search for content in message boards

George ROLFE - Melbourne, Australia, 1890s

George ROLFE - Melbourne, Australia, 1890s

Posted: 20 Jan 2004 1:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Nov 2004 2:13AM GMT
G'day, I'm looking for a George ROLFE, occupation plasterer. I have found references to him in Melbourne in 1889 & 1899. He seems to have resided in the Fitroy area of Melbourne.

Sorry, I don't have a date of birth, death, or anything else. Not much to go on.

Peter THOMAS
Darwin, Australia

Re: George ROLFE - Melbourne, Australia, 1890s

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 11:32PM GMT
Hi there Peter. Not to sure if I can help on the George Rolfe that you are looking for, but was wondering, do you know if he is related to the Rolfe's that went over to NSW, Australia?? some of their names would be "Ernest Frederick Rolfe" "Edward James Rolfe". I think I still have an uncle living, tho we have never communicated by the name of "Phillip Rolfe" not sure were he is. Had an uncle "Lloyd Rolfe" who passed away 13/07/1994 in NSW. Well anyway there maybe some connection and there may not be...don't know till you ask aye. I'm in NZ so if you think there maybe something of interest drop us a line.
zuluspirit@hotmail.com

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 12:59PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2004 2:13AM GMT
to Kyleigh in NZ: sorry, I don't know any mote about my George ROLFE, except that he was a plasterer; he was probably bald; and he fathered an illegitimate daughter in Melbourne in 1889.

Peter T.
Darwin, Australia

Susan Rolfe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2004 1:50PM GMT
Hi,

The man you are looking for may be mygreat grand father, as my grandfather lived in Carlton (next suburb to Fitzroy) near the cemetery. His father was an itinerant labourer and the years you mention are just before the birth of my granfather.

Susan Rolfe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2004 1:53PM GMT
Just reading your reply to Kyliegh, and it sounds even more likely its the George Rolfe you are talking about, from what I can gather he abandoned by grandfathers mother and went on to have more children after my granddad with someone else!

Peter THOMAS (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2005 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: ROLFE
Susan, could you give a little more detail about your George ROLFE (cad & bounder ...) ?

Peter THOMAS
Darwin, Australia

Susan Rolfe (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2005 9:54PM GMT
Hello Peter,
I told my father about finding this post and he agrees it's more than probably his grandfather. I have forwared this site to him and asked that he reply as he has the factual details, while I just have the colourful stories.

Posted: 2 Jul 2008 12:51PM GMT
Surnames: ROLFE BUDGE DORAN FERGUSON
The George ROLFE referred to in this thread has been found:
born Keilor, Victoria, Australia, c1853;
married three times.
Surviving children:
William George ROLFE, b.1878; marr 1899; research continuing.
and Annie, b.c1883.
George & family seem to have moved around the inner suburbs of Melbourne. He is usually referred to as a plasterer, but I have one reference to him as a slaughterman.
George died Melbourne 1900, age 47, buried St Kilda.
George had a sister Emily, b.1866; married 1882 to Vernon Armstrong BUDGE. Emily was living in Northcote in 1900.
There may be other siblings.
George & Emily's parents were -
David ROLFE, farmer; and
Margaret, nee FERGUSON.
It appears that David died young, and Margaret remarried to Patrick DORAN, and they had at least another seven children.

Posted: 20 May 2012 9:09AM GMT
George Rolfe was the son of David and Margaret Rolfe, he was born in 1853c in Keilor and appears to have had 3 wives. He died in 1900 in Melbourne. He was a Plasterer. His father David was a Convict sent to Van Dieman's Land in 1842

Regards,
Wilma

David & John RUFF or ROLFE - VDL & Victoria, Australia, 1842+

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: ROLFE ROLF ROFF RUFF
found David, and his brother John: thankyou.
Never would have broken down the brick wall without your clue.
Also found more brothers, and their mother, Susannah.
thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions