Search for content in message boards

Martha Blessing Towne of Essex co., MA (1622-1702)

Martha Blessing Towne of Essex co., MA (1622-1702)

Posted: 20 Jul 2006 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PRESTON, TOWNE
There are a lot of rumors out there that Roger Preston (of Ipswich and Salem)'s wife Martha was a Martha Blessing Towne. I cannot seem to substantiate them. Does anyone out there who is researching the name Towne have a Martha Blessing Towne in their records or know what happened to her??

Thanks for your help.

Katie

Re: Martha Blessing Towne of Essex co., MA (1622-1702)

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Towne
I have Martha Blessing Towne married to Roger Preston in 1642(MASS) and Nicholas Holt married widow Martha Preston 21 May 1666 This is noted in the NEHGR Vol 21 (1867) I have her death date as 21 Mar 1703 Andover, MASS

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Martha Blessing Towne, Roger Preston
Martha Blessing Towne was NOT Roger Preston's wife. This can be verified by checking the source you cite (New England Historic Genealogical Register, Vol 21, 1867, pp. 17 and 20.) Nor, for that matter, did she marry Nicholas Holt upon Roger's death. The person in question is simply "Martha." To my knowledge, no one to date has been able to identify her real last name. If anyone has actually found her last name, please reply to this message.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Preston
dpcole_1 - I agree. I don't think so either. I am researching this Preston line and I am stuck with this Martha and Roger Preston as well. I cannot link either to their British parents. Do you have any more information on them, now 2 years later?

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Preston
Many thanks for your email. My information on Roger Preston's ancestry comes from Ancestry.com family trees (his father may have been Roger Preston, 1586-1638, son of Thomas Preston, 1565-?). An excellent source on him is Charles Preston, DESCENDANTS OF ROGER PRESTON OF IPSWICH AND SALEM VILLAGE. As for Martha's surname, the only thing I have found thus far is the name Martha Marston (1622-1703); this also comes from Ancestry family trees. Incidentally, she subsequently married Nicholas Holt (1622-1703) of Andover, MA, after Roger died. I suppose one of the reasons people are pushing the idea (without firm evidence) that Martha Blessing Towne was Roger's wife is that this particular woman is related to the famous Rebecca Nurse of the 1692 Witchcraft Delusion. So be it. But they are wrong.

Good luck,

Don Preston Cole

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 3:14PM GMT
I have looked at Charles Preston's information. I am not totally convinced that Roger b. 1613-14 is the son of Roger, however, maybe. And there maybe 2 Rogers about that time, one of Upottery and one in London. I have a will of Roger d. 1638 in London, but I'm still trying to interpret the writing. I'm not finding marriage records of Roger of Ipswich and Martha, but it might be in the Boston records. I don't have access to them yet. http://www.americanancestors.org/databases/
Thanks for the clue on Martha Marston. I will look into that. I don't know where Martha Blessing Towne came from. It doesn't look like she was a daughter of William Towne and Joanna Blessing Towne. Maybe her maiden name was something else and she married a Blessing and then a Towne? The Prestons could have known or been related to Rebecca Towne Nurse of Salem. I don't know. Jacob Preston son of Samuel, son of Roger, married the Sarah Wilson, age 14 who was accused of witchcraft, along with Sarah's mother Sarah Lord Wilson. There seems to be evidence in the Witchcraft trials paper that a few Prestons were among those that accused or testified too. Looks like it was a small community, where many people were related in some way, and many were among the accused and accusers. However, I just don't think Martha Blessing Towne is placed correctly or identified correctly. Let me know if you find something else, and I'll keep searching too. Thanks.

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Blessing, Towne, Nurse, Preston
Many thanks for your email. Let me try to clarify the Blessing issue. William Towne (1598-1685) marries Johanna Blessing (1600-1682). They have a daughter, Rebecca Towne (1621-1692). When she marries Francis Nurse (1618-1695) she becomes REBECCA NURSE (the famous old lady who sadly was executed during the Witchcraft Delusion). She and Francis Nurse have a daughter who is named Rebecca Nurse (1647-1719). People often confuse her and her mother, since once her mother married she also became Rebecca Nurse. This daughter then marries Thomas Preston (1643-1697), one of our Roger Preston's sons.

Martha Blessing Town may be another daughter of William Towne and Johanna Blessing, but this needs some research.

Hope this clarifies matters. Let's stay in touch.

Don Preston Cole

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 4:29PM GMT
Don, Thanks. Yes, I saw that Thomas Preston connection too. It also looked like Thomas and his father in law may have had some land dispute. I think Thomas is one of the accusers of Sarah Osgood. After her mother was accused of witchcraft, Rebecca II testified on her mother's behalf. Fascinating, but tragic history!

My husband seems to be in the Roger-Samuel-Jacob-Jacob-Eneas-Abraham-Ira-George-Wesely-Ruth-Donald Preston line. This has been fun, but I really seem to be stuck at the Roger immigrant. I can't get any farther back with any certainty.

Thanks again!

Posted: 3 Dec 2011 12:56AM GMT
I have not worked on genealogy since my mother died a few years ago. I am having problems working on the genealogy cause it was something we did together on a daily basis for years. Still cant get past the heart ache. I will see if I can help with getting some info from NEHGS. If I cant connect on our end, maybe I can help you guys connect the dots for your end. Helping you find your answers just might get me going again. Will try to look over the weekend. I will let you all know

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 9:02PM GMT
No. Still trying.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions