Search for content in message boards

SS Ivernia sailing from Queenstown Oct. 1909 Arrived Boston

SS Ivernia sailing from Queenstown Oct. 1909 Arrived Boston

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 3:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sullivan
I am trying to find the transcript from this voyage. I have the manifest listing my grandmother Kathleen Sullivan age 11 left from Mitchellstown. Am trying to locate additional information, on her. She was traveling with friend, Mrs. O'Donnell. Do not know her parents names, any help appreciated.

Re: SS Ivernia sailing from Queenstown Oct. 1909 Arrived Boston

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 4:27PM GMT
I think you need to say which Queenstown to make it easier for someone to help.

From Wikipedia:

Queenstown is the name of several places in the world including:

Queenstown, Blackpool, Lancashire, United Kingdom
Queenstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Queenstown, Maryland, United States
Queenstown, New Zealand, a resort town in Otago, New Zealand
Queenstown, Singapore, a neighbourhood of Singapore
Queenstown, South Australia, a suburb of Adelaide
Queenstown, Tasmania, Australia
Queenstown, Wisconsin, United States
Cobh, Ireland, was called "Queenstown" between 1849 and 1922
Queenstown was the original name of Port Clements, British Columbia, Canada
Queenstown was the original name of St Andrews, Victoria, Australia
Queenstown was the original name of the City of Victoria, Hong Kong
Queenstown was the original name of Queenston, Ontario, Canada

Also say where Mitchellstown is. I could only find a Mitchelstown in Ireland.

HH

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 5:35PM GMT
I am confused as to what you have and what you are seeking. Also, some of your information is contradicted by the manifest that you say you have.

First of all, I don't understand your desire to locate a transcript if you have the manifest. At best, a transcription will have the same information as the original manifest, but usually has less information and is subject to various types of transcription errors.

I am looking at the manifest pages as I write this and see at least 2 major inconsistencies with what you have written.

-- She was not traveling with a friend, Mrs. O'Donnell. This person is listed as the nearest relative or friend in the country she is coming from.

-- There is a notation on the manifest that says "accompanied by Annie Ryall who will take her to aunt in NY."

Kathleen's destination in the US is her aunt, Mrs. O'Rourke living at 762 E. 137th St., New York, NY.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 8:19PM GMT
OK Thank you. I must say - I could not make out that Annie Ryall is taking her to NY. I was hoping that the transcipt would be a clearer view of what the manifest says. As you say those two lines are jumbled together. I had noticed that other transcripts were available on-line, but none for the Oct. 1909 sailing.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 11:00PM GMT
" As you say those two lines are jumbled together"
================
No, I don't say that nor do I understand what 2 lines you are talking about. The manifest image is very clear and nothing is jumbled that I saw.

We still don't know what information you are seeking?

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 12:20PM GMT
Sorry for not being clear. She sailed from Queenstown (Cobb) Ireland. She was from Mitchellstown, Ireland according to the Manifest of Alien Passengers.

I do not know her parents names only last address in Mitchellstown, Ireland. According to family lore she had lived with father and grandmother. I was hoping that by locating a transcript of the manifest, other information would be clearer. I could not make out some of the details as previous listed posted explained. Other transcripts were done by the Transcribers Guild (http://www.immigrantships.net/v3/1900v3/ivernia19090624_16.h...) I could not find one for the Oct. 6th voyage however.

Thank you for any direction - I'm new at this and do apologize if these inquiries seem unclear.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 12:28PM GMT
Would you have any recommendations on where to look to locate additional information to the child traveling with adults on this voyage. As she (Kathleen Sullivan) was a minor and not a relative to any of these folks. I was hoping there would be some record of who her parents were.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions