Search for content in message boards

Stevens or Stephens

Stevens or Stephens

Posted: 17 Jun 2002 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stevens or Stephens...Luck...Shepard....Smith
My great grandmother was Ida Mae Stevens, born January 3, 1883 her fathers name (I think) was Wylie Stevens or Stephens. Ida Mae Stevens married Malen M. Luck, in 1900 they were living in Tipton Co., TN and then moved to Mississippi. I was told that she had two sisters Bessie and Georgia and a brother Lovit. I have found Georgia Stephens on the 1880 Tipton Co., TN Census listed as an Orphan living with a family with the last name Morris. Lovit Stephens was listed on an 1880 Census in Tipton Co., TN with a family with the last name Shepard. I think that Bessie married a Smith and lived in Tipton Co., TN. I know that my great grandmother had some family that lived in Oklahoma. All information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Stevens or Stephens

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 10:04PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2006 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, Pipkin, McEachin, Cullen, Crawford, McHaffie
I'm looking for Elizabeth Stevens dau of John Stevens who d. 24 Dec 1846 At worldconnect.rootsweb I noted a marriage for a John who m. Miss Byrd if you want to look at it -- that John was a generation or so later than mine. My Elizabeth married Pipkin, had dau Martha Pipkin born Covington Tipton Co TN who m. Malcolm McEachin and lived at Abbeville, MS, had 10 children which I have charted at worldconnect. Martha and Malcolm had among the children Frances Lea McEachin b. 1864 MS as I recall, who m. Linburn Cullen, lived at Oxford, Lafayette Co MS, and Linburn & Frances had several children: Elizabeth Cullen (Bessie), John, Hal, Louvicia (my grandmother who m. Ronald Benjamin Crawford in Oxford MS 1912), Malcolm etc. Linburn & Frances moved to Wynona, Osage Co, OK, then back to Oxford, and their dau, my grandmother Louvicia moved to Tulsa OK, then back to Oxford MS, and my mother, Frances Crawford, was born in MS. My grandparents again moved to Oklahoma, to Wynona, and mother grew up and married there. I think due to similarities of names (Bessie / Elizabeth) and the TN MS place names we may link up in some way. Elizabeth Stevens would be my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother -- my line for mitochondrial DNA which is passed down to all descendants but only the daughters pass it on to their daughters - the sons have it, but don't pass it down.

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Stevens or Stephens
I came across 2 of your posts while searching the ancestry community. I think we are looking for some of the same people. Wylie Stevens of Tipton Co., TN was the brother of my great-great grandmother Evaline Stevens Combs. I had not been able to determine her parents names but you have indicated they are Joseph S. Stephens and Penelope ?. I found records which you may have already have showing Wylie Stevens married Nancy Jane Searcey in Tipton Co., TN on 03 Jun 1855. There is also a record of a Wiley Stevens of Tipton Co., TN marrying a Sarah Wiseman on 21 Mar 1865. If you have any additional information on Wylie and Evaline's parents, I hope you will point me in the right direction. I have not found anyone else researching this particular family.

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 10:11AM GMT
Surnames: Stephens, Stevens, Byrd
The Stephens family are located in Desoto County, Mississippi in 1850, but have moved to Tipton County, TN by 1860. I have include some data from the census.

Name: Evaline Stephens
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Birth Place: Tennessee
Home in 1850(City,County,State): Southern Division, Desoto, Mississippi
Family Number: 695
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph S Stephens 51
Penelope Stephens 41
Joel L Stephens 21
Wylie A Stephens 17
Susan A Stephens 15
Louisa Stephens 13
Sarah M Stephens 11
Evaline Stephens 10
Lancy Stephens 8
John T Stephens 6
James K B Stephens 3

Name: Eviline Stevens
Age in 1860: 20
Birth Year: abt 1840
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1860: District 1, Tipton, Tennessee
Post Office: Covington
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas H Tilman 40
George W Tilman 9
Penelope Stevens 47
Eviline Stevens 20
Lana Stevens 18
John J Stevens 14
Jame K Stevens 12

I have information on the Byrd family connected to David and Evaline Stephens Comb's daughter Sarah who married Joseph Dayton Byrd. There is also a James Stephens who married Sallie Adisha Byrd. I haven't traced if these two Stephens / Stevens are related.

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, McKnatt or Byrd
Thanks for the post! I haven't worked on the Stevens family in a long time. When I posted the message in 2002 I didn't have any info. on the Stevens family. I don't have anything on Evaline and David's daughter (Sarah) that married into the Byrd family.

At the present time I am doing a little research on the McKnatt or McNatt family and found that a Mae McKnatt, b. Aug. 31, 1908, married Hamilton Byrd in Tipton, County, TN. Hamilton Byrd was born March 11, 1906, his father was Clarence C. Byrd. Does this Byrd family have any connection to your Byrd or Stevens family. Thanks!

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Byrd, McNatt, Bird
Hamilton Stuart Byrd is in my Byrd family. I don't have the date of his marriage. My great-grandfather, James Henry Byrd, married Pernella Finner McNatt in 1872. His name was listed as J. H. Bird in the records. I have her as the daughter of William Samuel and Sarah McNatt.

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: McNatt, McKnatt, Byrd,
Hamilton Steward Byrd married Mae (and some have May) McKnatt (McNatt) on Dec. 22, 1929 in Tipton County, TN. On the marriage license her name was May Wilson. Apparently she was married before?? They had one child - Darrell Stuart Byrd, b. June 8, 1940 and died Dec. 22, 1940. They are buried in Tipton County Memorial Gardens.

Mae McKnatt's parents were Walter Ernest McKnatt and Mollie Virginia Simmons, they only had the one child (Mae) before they divorced. They both married again and Walter had 10 children by his second wife and Mollie had about 7 children by her second husband.

I also have Pernella Finner McNatt listed as a child of Samuel and Sara McNatt. Sara and Samuel had a son James W. McNatt. Do you have information on James? I have him married to Fannie Jackson on July 28, 1878. I know they had at least two son's Walter Ernest McKnatt (Walter being the father of Mae that married Hamilton Stuart Byrd.) The second son was Samuel M.McKnatt. After James W. McNatt divorced Fannie Jackson he then married Mary Ellen Hamby. Thanks for any Help! If I have any information that you need let me know.

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 10:19PM GMT
Thanks so much for your post. This is a great help. I also appreciate the offer of information on Sarah Combs Byrd. She was my grandfather's mother and I actually got to meet her when I was young. I have most of the dates and places on her but if you know where she and Joseph Dayton Byrd were married, I'd appreciate that information.

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens or Stephens
I did not have that information, but I just found it on Ancestry.com in Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002. I tried to print the informtion and for some reason I couldn't. Name: Sallie N. Combs - Spouse: J D Byrd - Marriage Date: 28 Dec 1895 - Marriage County: Tipton
Marriage State: Tennessee. I hope this helps. You can email me at glenn.chapman@worldnet.att.net. Do you know where they are buried? I have seen the graves of Evaline and David Combs in Clopton Cemetery. When the weather gets better I am going back up and make some pictures. I just love the old Church behind the cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic