Search for content in message boards

New York Passenger List 1852

New York Passenger List 1852

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 4:21AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: French
I have a New York Passenger List from 1852 from Liverpool to New York. The manifest list the Passenger, sex, where they lived, where they are sailing to and the last column says Passenger died on voyage and when I look down the column it has various numbers from one to fifteen next to different families. There is no way these numbers represent people that died on the ship it would be the death ship. What other possible use could they have used this column for?
I can attach example if needed.

Re: New York Passenger List 1852

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Since you haven't given any indication about the specific passenger list I will speculate based on my experience.

Do the entries look like this:
3 - 2
4 - 6
2 - 7

If so, they are a breakdown of country of origin of the passengers on that page. A new set of numbers should appear whenever a new country of origin appears on the manifest. The first number is usually the number of males and the second the number of females for the country next to which the data appears.

To check it out, total the numbers in the first position, it should be the number of males on the page. The second should total the number of females.

You are correct. It has nothing to do with death and was most likely added well after the voyage as a tally of country of immigration.

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 4:49AM GMT
Thank you for your response. I have attached a copy of the passenger list I am talking about. The list of numbers are writing out not in the way you described. I am guessing it it a list or count of something other than deaths. I think you are right in that it must have been after the fact but what it could be is the mystery. Once you look at the form please let me know if you any any guesses.
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 5:00AM GMT
It would appear that the creator of the list was having that column serve double duty. As the heading reads "No. of packages & Died on the Voyage," I would infer that whenever a number appears it would refer to the number of packages (suitcases, trunks, etc.) that each passenger brought on board.

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 1:52PM GMT
Thank you I thought so too but wa wanted a second opinion.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 6:21AM GMT
Surnames: Monney
Please let me know if there is a listing for Martin Monney with wife Frances and children Martin, Felix, Mary and Leonora. They came from Switzerland to Liverpool and arrived in New York April 28, 1852. Thank you.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 5:50PM GMT
Please let me know if there is a listing for Martin Monney with wife Frances and children Martin, Felix, Mary and Leonora. They came from Switzerland to Liverpool and arrived in New York April 28, 1852. Thank you. cmclindamoney@att.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions