Search for content in message boards

Jester Family in James City Co., VA

Jester Family in James City Co., VA

Posted: 26 Feb 2006 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Jester, Dunnevant, Smith
So far, I have
John Y. Jester (b. abt. 1832, James City Co., VA) m. Selina Odell Dunnevant, 24 Dec 1857, James City Co., VA. John Y. and Selina had six children. Also, 2 of Selina's sibilings, Anna E. Smith b. 1844 and Charles W. Smith b.1851 , lived with them at different times. Selina died 11 May 1936. Am looking for their graves and John Y.'s birthdate. Selina's funeral was handled by Bucktrout Funeral Services, but they are no longer in business. Does anyone have any info I can use? John Y. Jester's parents were Isaih and Lucretia Jester. Does anyone have info on these two or John Y. Jester's birth date.

Re: Jester Family in James City Co., VA

Pat Friesen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2006 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: Jester
Vicki,
Are you sure Selina died 1936? She would have been nearly 100 yrs old.
Pat

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: Jester
Right. According to her death certificate, she was 96 years, 7 months when she died. One of her granddaughters died last year at 101 years, 9 months.

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: Jester, Conley
This is just a thought, but it is how I found several of my Jester relatives. If you know who the mother and father of the grandchildren were, you could get their birth certificates, and that would give you the exact birth dates of the original ones you are looking for -- it would also give their place of birth.

Just out of curiousity, where are your Jesters from? Mine are from Chestertown MD and then a lot of them moved to Delaware.

If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Val

PS: Mary Eliza Jester Conley was my paternal grandmother.

Vicki Ford (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2006 9:23PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 11:22AM GMT
Surnames: Jester, Dunnevant, Smith
Thanks for the hint, Valerie. I've been working at the LDS library and the state library as well as online, so I may run across something, yet. I just can't get to those places every day, and there has to be a family Bible out there somewhere!
So far, my early Jesters are from James City County, Virginia, specifically Jamestown and Williamsburg, but they could have come here from Delaware and/or Maryland. I just don't know.
I know Selina Odell Dunnevant was living with Henry and Lucy Smith in 1850 when she was 10 years old. Since those aren't her parents, I'm not sure why she was living with them. By 1860 her "sister," Ann E. Smith (age 16) was living with Selina, her husband John Y. Jester, and their son, James H. Jester. By 1870, Ann Smith (who may have gone by Elizabeth) was gone, but Charles W. Smith (age 19) was living with Selina, John Y. and their children James H., Sousetta or Louretta, John Thomas, William Young, and Selina. (Anna E. Jester would be born abt. 1872.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic