Search for content in message boards

Jacob Zinn 1723-1791, Germany and Lancaster Co PA

Jacob Zinn 1723-1791, Germany and Lancaster Co PA

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 4:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ZINN
Searching for information and ancestors of Jacob Zinn, born ca 1723, married Catherina ---, died 1791, buried Muddy Creek Cem, Lancaster Co PA. Children to this marriage I believe: Jacob, George, Peter, Moses, Susannah and two unknown females. Thanks, Trish Elliott-Kashima, Lawrenceburg, TN

Re: Jacob Zinn 1723-1791, Germany and Lancaster Co PA

Posted: 4 Mar 2005 7:23PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2006 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Zinn, Linck, Link
Patricia

It is my own quite personal hunch that your Jacob Zinn (b. ca 1723 and buried in Lancaster Co PA) and my ggg grandfather John Zinn are somehow related. According to his application for a Revolutionary War veteran’s pension, my ancestor John Zinn was born in Berks Co PA in 1763 and was taken by an uncle John Link at age 12 first to .Augusta Co VA and then to Ruddle’s Station Kentucky, where in March 1780 enlisted in the militia. In June the Indians under British leadership captured the Fort, and the inhabitants including John Zinn and his uncle John Link and family were taken by the Indians to Detroit, and in the case of the Link family to Canada. We have no other information as to his Zinn family. He stated that he had not seen his father since leaving PA. There is no mention of a mother, so that I wonder if he was not partially an orphan.
We do have information however on his Uncle John Linck, and also connections between this Uncle John Linck and Jacob and Catharine Zinn of Cocalico Twp of Lancaster Co PA.
. The British kept records of non-captive displaced families such as a family they list as John and Margaret Linck, and children which include a son John who would have been born in 1769. All this information matches a baptismal record of Rev. John Waldschmidt at Epler German Reformed Church of the baptism on 25 March 1770 of John a son of John and Margaret Linck.
Rev. John Waldschmidt recorded two entries in regard to Jacob and Catherarine Zinn. First, in 1756 he baptized their son John Jacob in Cocalico Twp of Lancaster Co. And in Berks Co in 1770 (the same year that he baptized my John Zinn’s first cousin John Linck Jr. he records Jacob and Catherine Zinn in the same church at Epler’s in Berks Co as being sponsers at the baptism of a John Jacob Hauser.)
We also have evidence of a connection between another uncle of my ggg grandfather John Zinn, Martin Linck, and Jacob Zinn of Cocalico Twp. My John Zinn’s Uncle John Linck settled after the war in Virginia. Thus in Pendleton Co WV Deed Book Records 1788-1815 Estate Settlements one finds the following: On 7 March 1796 his widow Margaret as the “widow and relict of John Link, deceased et al convey to “Jacob Link, power of attorney to execute to Jacob Zinn, Lancaster Co. Martin Link, a brother of John, has conveyed one share of the land, but no title has yet been made for John’s part.”
The 1790 US Census for Lancaster Co PA shows a listing for a Martin Link and a Jacob Zinn, Jr. to be on adjacent lines. (Separated by a single other surname on the same cencus page are George Zinn and another Jacob Zinn.)
If John and Catharine Zinn of Cocalico Twp had a son John baptized in 1756, on the face of it they could hardly be the parents of a John Zinn born in 1963. It seems probable to me that they were related in some other way.
That the same families belonged to the same church in Berks Co, and transacted property to one another as neighbors in Lancaster Co. may be coincidental. My hunch however is that there is one extended family.

Trish Elliott-Kashima (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2005 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Zinn, Houser
Hi Marshall: THanks so much for your reply to my query. I agree with you that there certainly seems to be a connection....I have sent to see if there is any probate on Jacob Zinn - which would certainly help to clarify the matter. I have to tell you, the big gaps in the births of Jacob and Catherina's children leaves me thinking we do not know of all of the children of that union.Just look at this:
1. Jacob Zinn, born 25 Nov 1749, PA
2. George Zinn, born ca 1751, PA
3. Peter Zinn, b ca 1763, PA
4. Moses Zinn, b 13 Oct 1766, PA
5. Susannah, born 20 Aug 1770
6. female Zinn, born ca 1772, PA
7. female Zinn, born ca 1774, PA

Now, while I would consider it possible that the gap between #1 and #2 children, there is too large of a gap between #2 and #3. Also, while it is possible for Catherine to have still been having children at age 47, I betting it is pretty unlikely. It all suggests to me that there was more than one Zinn ......I suspect that in fact the John Jacob Zinn baptism that you mention as being of Jacob and Catherarine Zinn in 1756 must be a son John to Jacob and Catharina. It would seem strange to me that they would be just baptising Jacob (b 1749) when they also have a son George by 1756. I would think they would have also baptised George at the same time if a local minister was not available nearer to the birth of Jacob (b 1749). I am also trying to get the records for Muddy Creek Church, hoping that it may shed more light on Jacob Sr and kids since Jacob is buried there.

The Houser connection is from Susannah Zinn (dau of Jacob Zinn and Catherina), born 20 Aug 1770, married Jacob Houser.

I have noticed in glancing at ther records of Muddy Creek burials there are several Zinns (early ones) that I have no idea how they place into the family. Seems like it bears more looking at.

Trish Elliott-Kashima

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Zinn
Patricia, I saw your posting on the Zinn Message Board. I am a direct ancestor of Jacob and Catherina Zinn of Lancaster Co Pa. You can contact me at littleddie@innernet.net

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 2:51PM GMT
To John Zinn
From Marshall Lowe

On a different message board “forum” you replied back in January, 2001 to another cousin named Debbi Copeland in regard to Jacob Zinn. You acknowledged that you both shared the same sources, most notably a 1937 “History and Genealogy of the Zinn Family” by Mabel McFatridge McCloskey. She vouches for the accuracy of much of the information in the book in terms of a personal visit to a cemetery in Carroll Co IN accuracy of information in regard to burial of a Jacob Zinn b, 15 May 1784. (What I myself find interesting here is that while Jacob was born in Lancaster Co PA his “consort” who is buried along aside was born in Berks Co.)
Elsewhere however Debbi suggests that the Mabel McFatridge-McCloskey book lacks a bibliography. What in fact are her sources of information in her book?
I attempted last week E-Mailing Debbi Copeland at her old 2001 E-Mail address, even as I also E-mailed you. My ISP returned my message to her as undelivered. Would you by any chance have a current E-Mail address for her?
I would appreciate learning more about the sources for information for your Jacob Zinn line.
My own address is mblowe@morganco.net

Posted: 4 Aug 2005 1:37PM GMT
It appears that the main source of recent information on the internet in regard to the Jacob Zinn family of Cocalico Twp. Lancaster Co PA is two books. One is E. Maurice Gross’ (1949) “Generalogy of the Zinn Family of York and Lancaster Counties Pennsylvania.” (It is available in different genealogical libraries in Lancaster Co. PA) He believed that the Johannes Friedrich Zinn of York Co and the Jacob Zinn of Cocalico Twp were brothers, so he included a history of both families. The second is the 1937 “History and Genealogy of the Zinn Family” by Mabel McFatridge-McCloskey. (I shall hereafter refer to the author as Mcloskey because it is the catalogue author name used by the Allen County Public Library at Fort Wayne IN where I accessed the book.) She focuses her attention on a succession of three successive Jacob Zinns taking the family into Indiana .
Gross admits that much of the material in his book cannot be authenticated, and my own research indicates that he got in wrong in regard to Jacob Zinn’s namesake and apparently first-born son, Jacob Zinn, Jr. . (Gross and McCloskey provide similar information, and share the short-coming of both books is that they do not document their findings or list their sources.) Gross lists a Jacob Zinn II as (1749-1815) for a son who I believe was actually baptized as John Jacob Zinn in 1756 in the records of Rev Waldschmidt for Cocalico. To wit : “John Jacob of Jacob Zinn and Catharine, b. Ocb 21, 1756, bapt. April 5, 1757” McCloskey lists alternative 25 Nov 1749 or 21 Oct 1756 birth dates for a Jacob Zinn,Jr.
The correctness of a 1756 birth date for Jacob Zinn Jr. is suggested by other records of the same Rev. John Waldschmidt. Both Gross and McCloskey list a grandson John Jacob Hauser b. Aug. 20, 1770 to daughter Suzanna , and Rev. John Waldschmist later recorded the baptism at Epler in Berks Co of “John Jacob of Jacob Hauser and Susanna, b. August 26, 1770 (sic) bapt. November 17, 1770. Sponsers Jacob Zinn and Catharine.“
What makes this second Berks Co entry of personal interest to me is that the record of the grandson John Hauser baptism immediately follows the Rev. Waldschmist listing for the 1770 baptism of a John Linck, Jr., the first cousin of my 4xg grandfather John Zinn who was born in Berks Co. This would seem merely coincidental were it not for other information which connects his Uncle John Linck Sr. to the Jacob Zinn of Cocalico.

Because so many uncertainties remain, any one who can supply supporting document for the Gross and McCloskey works would be making a significant contribution to Lancaster Zinn family history.

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 5:02AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2006 4:05AM GMT
Did Jacob have a son John? I believe that Hohn was botn in berks, Pennsyvania. He married Elizabeth Kiser/Keyser
jewell Burcham
jfburcham@pacifier.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions