Search for content in message boards

Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy, Norfolk co., MA

Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy, Norfolk co., MA

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 May 2006 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson, Piispanen, Kinnunen
My grandparents and their son - my father are buried together at MtWollaston. Its been many years-sorry to say since I visited their grave, and forgot the precise location within the cmetery. Does anyone have the address of, and contact person that I should contact to get some help with this?
I would like to visit the grave, but need to find location of grave first.
I would be taking the T to Wollaston (or No Quincy--which one?) to get there. Does anyone know how to walk from say Wollaston T station to Mt Wollaston Cemetery, and about how long a walk(miles) it would be. I walked it before, and if memory serves right it wasn't a terribley long walk. Is it a safe walk these days (it was 1960's last time I was out there).
Thank you very much.
Names were/: Alfred Nelson born in Finland in 1888, died in West Quincy in 1941
Sylvia Marie(Piispanen)Nelson born Feb 17, 1888 in Finland to Lauri Piispanen and Karoline Kinnunen. She died in Melrose Ma in April of 1978 (22nd I think).
Their son-my father Arvo Alfred Nelson born in Quincy Feb 18, 1908, and died in Stoneham Ma Nov 23rd 1952 .
Thanks again. If anyone can get out there and find the grave and is willing to photograph it for me, I would be glad to reimburse anyone who can do this.
Again I appreciate any help available to me
Barbara

Re: Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy MA

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 9:52PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
The website for Quincy Cemetery Dept. :
http://ci.quincy.ma.us/cemetery.asp

I would call them...obviously Mount Wollaston is a large cemetery and if you don't have specific directions to the graves, your trip would be fruitless. I live near enough to know the area vaguely. I would say it is a safe area during the daytime...traffic could be more dangerous than anything else!
If you go to the MBTA website, click on subway and Red Line and it will show you the stops...if you click on a stop it should bring you to a link where you can see a map of the area. Wollaston station is about 1 and 1/2 miles from the cemetery. For some reason I can't get North Quincy to come up with a map right now...but North Quincy station is about 2 1/2 miles to the cemetery...so I'd say Wollaston station is the winner! Here is the MBTA website/Red Line:
http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway_redline.asp
Mt. Wollaston's address is 20 Sea St...so when you get the map of the Wollaston T stop, click on directions from and then put in 20 Sea St. and it will give you the route.
Anyhow, I am sure the Cemetery Dept can help you with the location of the graves and ask if they can send you the burial records and a MAP of the cemetery with the sections highlighted that you will be visiting...I have had great success with this in larger cemeteries...although I have no experience with this cemetery. Good luck.
Lisa

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 10:02PM GMT
Thank you Lisa. Barbara

Herbert Rideout (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2006 11:01PM GMT
Barbara, I have Rideout ancestors at Mt. Wollaston and did get wonderful photos all the time living in California. Here is how you do it.

First contact the cemetery City of Quincy, Cemetery Department, 20 Sea St. Quincy MA 02169 Give them all the necessary information to find the site such as your fathers complete name with birth and death dates. They will send you a layout of the cemetery showing the exact spot of the grave. Do send a stamped self addressed return envelope.

Once you have this information you should contact RAOGK members of this group volunteer to take photos and will send them usually free.

http://www.raogk.org/

Please contact me if you have any other questions.

Herbert A Rideout
Fallbrook, CA

Re: CORRECTION: Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy MA

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 9:00AM GMT
Barbara,
ATTENTION! Someone has corrected me and it seems they may be right!
Quincy CENTER station is a tiny bit more than only a 1/2 mile from Mt. Wollaston Cemetery!!! I didn't even check it, I just assumed Wollaston would be closer.
So, if you go GET OFF AT QUINCY CENTER! It's a much easier walk.
http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway_stationinfo...

LIsa

Re: CORRECTION: Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy MA

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 1:52PM GMT
Thank you again, Lisa. Barbara

Re: Mt Wollaston Cemetery, Quincy, Norfolk co., MA

Posted: 6 Nov 2006 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: NORTH ,CALLEY,TIERNEY
i am staying temporarily nearby that cemetery and was hoping to go look around!!! ~~ have you gotten your request fulfilled yet??? and yes I have a digital camera :)

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2006 10:38PM GMT
No I haven't, and thank you for your offer. Did I give you my address? I forgot.

Thank you
Barbara

V North (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2006 4:22AM GMT
No please email me privately... i will try to get the photos this week :)

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 5:51PM GMT
My grandfather is buried in mt.wollaston cemetary.I have an obiruary of James E stanley:march 29 1982 can you help me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions