Search for content in message boards

STUART vs STEWART

STUART vs STEWART

James Oberacker (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2002 5:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STUART, STEWART
I'm relatively new to royal Scottish genealogy. In searching through multiple "royal" databases, I have noticed that often the surname spelling STUART and STEWART are used in different databases to refer to the same individual. Is there a general rule to follow (ie. STEWART after 1500, STUART before)? Thanks for any advice.

Re: STUART vs STEWART

Posted: 3 Jun 2002 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2006 9:04AM GMT
James,

I've been made to understand that "Stewart" is the Scots spelling (and the name is, of course, a transfered job title, namely steward) and "Stuart" the French. When Mary, Queen of Scots left to marry the French Dauphin at a young age, she was raised in the royal court of France and grew accoustomed to the French spelling of her surname. She preferred it over "Stewart" and her descendants adopted it.

JB

Re: STUART vs STEWART

Posted: 22 Sep 2002 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Stuart
Stewart was the original spelling of the name. When Mary Queen of Scots came around, though, it was changed to Stuart because of her French education. So, Stewarts and Stuarts are the same folks, but because of a royal who liked the French way of life, it is now spelled differently by some folks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions