Search for content in message boards

constantly getting a "This program cannot display the webpage"

constantly getting a "This program cannot display the webpage"

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
THis is making me crazy. Every time i try to use the back button on the software when i'm looking at web records, i get this message: "This program cannot display the webpage. Resource unavailable"
This is so annoying. Anyone know how to fix it? I haven't changed anything about my computer.

Re: constantly getting a "This program cannot display the webpage"

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 9:24PM GMT
I haven't seen that particular message, but a couple basic troubleshooting tips:

1. Make sure your FTM is up to date - click "Family Tree Maker 2" menu, then "Check for Updates"

2. Make sure OS X and Safari are up to date - click Apple menu, then "Software Updates"

3. Restart the computer

4. Web records in FTM use Safari (regardless of what other browsers you have on your system) so quit FTM, open Safari, click on "Safari" menu, select "Reset Safari", and make sure that "Remove all website data" is checked (other boxes can be checked or unchecked as you wish), then click [Reset].

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 7:22PM GMT
I have had same problem for weeks now. Tried Sean's trouble shooting tips but still have same issue.

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 9:31PM GMT
It's been a few months now and i still cant figure out why this is still happening. I tried everything you suggested. Is there anything else you might suggest?

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 6:38AM GMT
I suggest you work your way through this article form the FTM Knowledge base

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5320/kw/cann...

John D

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 6:39PM GMT
Software and OS updates can create issues with the delicate FTMM.

I suggest AFTER updating all the software/OS updates, to run a permissions repair on your machine. Depending on your OS version, this is easy to do. Go to the Apple site, and read about "Disk Utility" as it pertains to your OS version.

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 12:57AM GMT
Tried the suggestions here but am still getting the error message. I put in an email to FTM to see if they have a suggestion.

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 9:38PM GMT
Well, after suggesting I try this and that, this is the response I got from FTM:

"Unfortunately, because Family Tree Maker is utilizing the Safari web browser on your machine, this falls under a known issue that our developers are currently working on. Because Safari is not an officially supported web browser, some of the settings are conflicting with our software. This is something we're working to fix as quickly as possible. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and would like to thank you for your patience."

Not sure what they mean by safari not being an "officially supported web browser" as this is what FTM for Mac relies on for ancestry.com web searches from within the FTM software. Ayway, lets hope a fix comes soon!

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 12:18AM GMT
thanks for the update! This issue has been driving me crazy.
Really, if that is the search engine they have to use, why is it a not an officially supported web browser? I mean what are their choices? Cant they just use chrome or firefox instead? They really need to get their act together, so many people use macs now.

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 3:35PM GMT
Mine seems to be working OK now (not sure if it was Ancestry, the reboot, or both!)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic