Search for content in message boards

Nathaniel and William Porter of NJ/NY- c1790's

Nathaniel and William Porter of NJ/NY- c1790's

Tom Kooken (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Lane
Looking for information the the family of Nataniel and or William PORTER, who moved from NJ as early settlers in the area of Dansville (Steuben) NY. Local history books record that Nathaniel (1743-1797) married Charity LANE (1748-1813) in NJ and they had James, Peter, John, Matthew, David C, Richard N, Catherine, Anne, Eleanor, one more. Brother William married Anne __, their family is not named. I am particularly interested in David C PORTER ( (1788-1879), 3rd Lt in W 1812 and farmer / miller in the S Dansville area, toward Ossian.

Re: Nathaniel and William Porter of NJ/NY- c1790's

Chuck Mack (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2004 6:20PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I am in the same family. My records go back to 1713 in Boston. Please contact me.

Posted: 21 Jan 2004 9:27AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Oukee
I also come from the same Porter family. I have the text of an obit from the Dansville Express dated 27 Feb 1879 regarding Capt David C Porter and would be willing to share that with you if you are interested.

William Porter married Anne Oukee 3 Oct 1768 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. She was born in 1744 and died 12 Nov 1798. She is buried in Greenmount Cemetary, N. Danville, Livingston County, NY.

Best regards,

David Booth

Chuck Mack (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
David,

My records show David C. died 2/21/1879. I would like a copy of the obit. My line is through William's brother Nathaniel who was my GGGG grandfather. Willing to share family history. Please contact me.

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 8:34AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2004 6:56PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Noe
Chuck,
I don't have an actual copy of the obit but the text was taken from the Dansville Express, 27 Feb 1879, p3 and goes as follows:

"CAPT. DAVID C. PORTER

Death of another Soldier of the War of 1812 and the Last Survivor who Witnessed the Blowing Up of Fort Erie.

Another old soldier of this section --Cap. David C. Porter, living in the Poag's Hole Valley -- was "mustered out of the service", last Friday, and his funeral took place from the English Lutheran church on Monday, Rev. P.A. Strobel officiating.
Capt. Porter was born near Trenton, NJ., Feb 14,1789. He was a brother to Matthew Porter who came to Dansville in the winter of 1796, making his way through a deep snow from Bath and guided only by marked trees. In the summer following, David came to Dansville and has resided here ever since.
In the spring of 1814 he volunteered in the service of the United States in the war which we were then waging against Great Britain, serving as a First Lieutenant under Captain John Kennedy of Bath, in Col. Hopkins' regiment of volunteers. He participated in the battle before Fort Erie which was fought on the 16th Sept., 1814, assuming command of the company, in consequence of Capt. Kennedy having been disabled by a wound early in the engagement. Capt. Porter witnessed the blowing up of Fort Erie by which nearly three thousand British soldiers were destroyed, and it was said of him before his death that he was the sole surviving witness of that event.
In early life he married Miss Noe but never had any children. All through life he was noted for his energetic, enterprising spirit, was a man of genial manners, a worthy citizen, a true patriot and a man of correct moral habits. Of late years he had led a retired life, hardly ever appearing in the village except on Independence Day, when he was selected with other veterans to occupy a post of honor in celebrating the day.
While he lived he commanded the respect of all and his death will be truly lamented."

The obit can be found in the Dansville Public Library, Dansville, New York

My line is through David's brother John. John would be my 6th Great-grandfather. I would be happy to share any information I have on the family.

Best regards,

David
dericbooth@msn.com

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 1:08AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2006 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Kooken
Thanks for your interest, and the apparent interest you stirred up. My connection with the Porter family is small. One of our third gen family, James Kooken, is the person named as married to Eleanor Porter, dau of Nathaniel, mar 1797 in Dansville. James was a surveyor and apparently followed the opening of that territory in the 1790's. Nathaniel of course died shortly thereafter, and James and Eleanor moved back to PA and eventually on to OH, where she died in about 1820. The other connection is that James bro William Kooken was likely in business with David C and his bro. William was a miller by trade, and I wonder if he was in on the Porter's early ventures in the Dansville's area where they owned mills. Wm marched with David C at Ft Erie, and on the night of 16 Sep wrote a battlefield will naming David C as heir to his entitlements for service should he die. Wm Kooken was killed in action on the following day, the 17th. I have wondered if Wm had married into the Porter family also, but no records suggests that happened. There are however a lot of holes in the records.

The person that you want to communicate with is Bill Purcells. I worked with Bill-- he did most of the work-- and he pulled together a rather respectable story on both the Nathaniel and William Porter families. if you send me your e mail I will send you his contact info. I helped him with a bit of the local research, since I occassionally went into that area. My e mail is tek108 at comcast dot net.

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: oukee
hi my name is Karen Porter and i very interested in any information especially documentation on william Porter and ann oukee. with children Abrahm, Luther, & James. i have been researching this part of my family line and have reached a dead end. any information will be appreciated. my e-mail address is genbuff001@aol.com. thanks for your time. Karen

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:23AM GMT
Hi,

I came across old comments regarding Nathaniel and William Porter. I lot has been discovered about these Porters in the last year. Hopefully your email still works. I am from Dansville and recently found out that the early settlers were buried in an old cemetery and they were kicked out in 1889 to make room for a park. Most of the bodies remain there. Many but not all markers were moved to Greenmount Cemetery. I found out that several tombstones were discarded along the service road at Greenmount and dug them out and photographed them. They included Nathaniel and Charity Lane Porter, William and Ann Oukee Porter, and little Ann Porter (daughter of Richard W--the son of William--and Catherine--the daughter of Nathaniel

I have documentation of all of this if interested.

I have tombstone photos of these and many more Porters at my Ancestry.com site and at findagrave.com--or I am in the process of adding. I am working with several Porters, including the mentioned Bill Purcell on this project.

I have set up a work in progress Old Dansville Village Cemetery site at: http://www.paintedhills.org/STEUBEN/OldDansvilleVillageCem.h...

We were able to get the Village of Dansville to rename the old cemetery grounds "Pioneer Park" and are raising money to put up a memorial stone and fix up the park. Many Porters have made donations and you are welcome to as well. See the artist rendition below.

We hope to have the discarded tombstones moved to the plot at Greenmont where I found the old stone for Richard W. and Catherine Porter Porter.

Please spread the word.

Bob Glover

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:24AM GMT
Hi,

I came across old comments regarding Nathaniel and William Porter. I lot has been discovered about these Porters in the last year. Hopefully your email still works. I am from Dansville and recently found out that the early settlers were buried in an old cemetery and they were kicked out in 1889 to make room for a park. Most of the bodies remain there. Many but not all markers were moved to Greenmount Cemetery. I found out that several tombstones were discarded along the service road at Greenmount and dug them out and photographed them. They included Nathaniel and Charity Lane Porter, William and Ann Oukee Porter, and little Ann Porter (daughter of Richard W--the son of William--and Catherine--the daughter of Nathaniel

I have documentation of all of this if interested.

I have tombstone photos of these and many more Porters at my Ancestry.com site and at findagrave.com--or I am in the process of adding. I am working with several Porters, including the mentioned Bill Purcell on this project.

I have set up a work in progress Old Dansville Village Cemetery site at: http://www.paintedhills.org/STEUBEN/OldDansvilleVillageCem.h...

We were able to get the Village of Dansville to rename the old cemetery grounds "Pioneer Park" and are raising money to put up a memorial stone and fix up the park. Many Porters have made donations and you are welcome to as well. See the artist rendition below.

We hope to have the discarded tombstones moved to the plot at Greenmont where I found the old stone for Richard W. and Catherine Porter Porter.

Please spread the word.

Bob Glover

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:00AM GMT
Hi,
I'm also looking for my Porter ancestors. I'm looking for the parents of James Porter born 1803 somewhere in Pennsylvania. On one of the census records I've seen he stated that his father was born in Pa. James married Rachel Waugh about 1823 and died in 1860 in Lawrence Co. Pa. The following are his children:
1/Margaret C., Born 1823 New Wilminton, Married David R. Imbrie
2/John Waugh, Born 1825 New Wilmington, Married Matilda Boyer
3/Francis Curtis, Born 1834 Pa., Married 1/Mary A. 2/ Sarah A.
4/Sarah Jane,Born 1829 Pa., Married James M. Thompson
5/Eliza L., Born 1831 Pa.
6/Rebecca J., Born 1835 Pa. Married James R. Bell
7/Rachel Lorinda, Born 1837 Married Amander Pollock
If anyone has any information on the parents of James Porter born 1803 somewhere in Pennsylvania I would love to hear from you.
Bernice.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions