Search for content in message boards

Liverpool ship records

Liverpool ship records

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 12:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know how to search the Liverpool ship records? I have the names and dates I think my ancestor arrived in the United States and I have the name of the ship they sailed on from Liverpool along with the date. But I cannot figure out how to search for their arrival from Russia to Liverpool. Does anyone have any ideas?
My family sailed on the Batic in September 25, 1908. The Family name is Fuchs and there were five of them. Thank you for any help you could provide. I am trying to figure out who bought their ticket and if there was an addressed in the U.S listed on the document.

Re: Liverpool ship records

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: FUCHS, FOX
Their arrival records in the US actually have quite a bit of information.

The family included four sons and mother, who were coming to Chicago to be with their father, whose name looks like Wdenyz Fuchs - though it is hard to decipher. He was living at 455 S. Wood Street in Chicago, and he paid the fares.

The Fuchs family is listed as:
Rebecca (although this looks more like Repebeca - hard to read), aged 35
Samuel, 15 (the age 11 is crossed out and 15 overwritten)
Israel, 13 (age 8 is crossed out)
Joseph 8 (age 6 is crossed out)
Gessa 2 (name is hard to read as original was crossed out)
They were listed as Hebrew, from Riga, and going to Chicago.

If the crossing out of ages was correct, then Samuel would seem to have been born in 1893 rather than 1896 or 1897.
Let me know if you want the actual transcript.

I think I also found Sam Fox in the 1930 and 1940 census records, if you haven't already done so.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 2:35PM GMT
Thank you for reading that information for me. I was trying to figure out what it said. I am very grateful for your help. Any information you provide would be helpful. My email address is cblauvelt1@gmail.com

Thank you again for your help.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 3:01PM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: FOX
This may be the family in the 1910 US census. If so, then Phillip, the father, seems to have arrived in 1906.

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Philip Fox
Age in 1910: 47
Birth Year: 1863
Birthplace: Russia
Home in 1910: Chicago Ward 10, Cook, Illinois
Immigration Year: 1906
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Rebecca Fox
Father's Birthplace: Russia
Mother's Birthplace: Russia
Household Members:
Name Age
Philip Fox 47
Rebecca Fox 36
Sam Fox 15
Gustav Fox 13
Joseph Fox 11
Georgie Fox 3
Lazar Fox 2

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 10:15PM GMT
Ancestry's "UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960" is described as an "index to the Board of Trade’s passenger lists of ships arriving in the United Kingdom from foreign ports outside of Europe and the Mediterranean."

Seems to me that the UK would not, therefore, generally have kept records of arrivals from Russia. They may even have come by train overland to a Channel port, making any record even less likely. So the US arrivals are going to be a much better bet for useful data.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 3:54AM GMT
Thank you so much for finding this record. I am very grateful. You solved a great family mystery. Thank you so much for your help.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 3:55AM GMT
Thank you for this information. I am very grateful for your help.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 10:01AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: FOX
This death record appears in FamilySearch, and if it is the correct Phillip, suggests his father's name was Samuel.

name: Philip Fox
death date: 10 May 1912
death place: Chicago, Illinois
race (original): W
race (standardized): White
death age: 55y
estimated birth year: 1857
birthplace: Russia
father: Saml Fox
father's birthplace: Russia
mother's birthplace: Russia
street address: 1836 Hastings St
cemetery: Forest Park
burial date: 12 May 1912, 11 am
informant: Rebecca Fox, 1013 Marshfield Avenue.
Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7JX-3BF : accessed 20 Nov 2012), Philip Fox, 10 May 1912.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 10:14PM GMT
I think what you are talking about is what is known as the "Indirect route". This was used by a lot of people because it was cheaper than getting to Bremen, Hamburg, Le Havre and taking one of the regular Atlantic crossings. The people would have one ticket which brought them from Russia to Libau (today Liepaja in Latvia), Germany, possibly Stettin or Hamburg by train, then a trip to the East Coast of England, Hull or Grimsby - the traffic to Grimsby was so great they had a separate railway station just for emigrants in transit!, then by train across England, mainly to Liverpool, but also Glasgow or Leith, then on to North America, also to other ports, Southampton for South Africa, London for Australia, New Zealand but the North American traffic was the heaviest. Slower, smaller but cheaper than the big ships on regular runs across the Atlantic. The Wilson Line were the main movers from the Baltic/Germany to Hull/Grimsby. Try googling "Indirect route" and Wilson Line, you will find quite a bit of information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic