Search for content in message boards

Are crew and passenger manifests kept separately?

Are crew and passenger manifests kept separately?

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Albanese
There are four branches in my Italian ancestry on my grandmother's side (all immigrated from Italy). Two of my great grand uncles, Salvatore and Antonio Albanese, came over first probably between 1900 and 1903. After getting established, they sent for the parentsand their two sisters. I can find passenger manifest listings for the parents and two sisters, but not for either of the two sons.

Questions:

Is it possible the two sons worked their way across (probably didn’t have the money for passage) and therefore did not appear on any passenger manifests?

Are paying passengers the only names that were listed on the passenger manifests?

Are the ship crews manifests recorded separately and can be searched?

Re: Are crew and passenger manifests kept separately?

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:31AM GMT
What are the names and birthdates of the boys

Robert

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:46AM GMT
Robert,

Salvatore Albanese
born 28 Dec 1878
home Macchia Valfortore, Campobasso, Molise, Italy

Antonio Albanese
born 1882
home Macchia Valfortore, Campobasso, Molise, Italy

I believe they immigrated between 1900-1903 via Naples to NYC Ellis Island. I was able to find the parents (Nicola & Filomena) and sisters (Vittoria and Rosaria), but nothing on Salvatore or Antonio. The only reference I could find was to Antonio in Nicola’s immigration manifest (attached) stating Nicola was going to New York to be with his son Antonio. The manifests for wife Filomena and daughter Rosaria, and Vittoria indicate they were headed directly to San Jose, Cal where the family permanently settled. Strange that I cannot find anything on the sons. There were some hits but the data did not match up 100%. That’s why I was thinking maybe they crewed and were somehow able to bypass the passenger manifest process.

Thanks, Steve
Attachments:

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 4:27AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 4:14PM GMT
I see the father coming into NY in 1904 and says he is going to Antonio.

Now, it's interesting.... it may be that Antonio went back to Italy. There is an Antonio Albanese on the manifest of the SS Republic sailing from Naples in 1906 in April to NYC. He is on line 8 and stamped page 11. He is 26 years old. He was born in Molise. He is going to his brother Paolo Albanese in what looks like Palisade Park, NY (which is in NJ!). Column 15 of the manifest which asks whether ever before in the US and if so when and where indicates he was in the US from 1903 to 1905 at Palisade Park. Now, the line with this name is **crossed out** meaning he booked passage but never sailed.

Added note: There are other entry points into the US besides Ellis Island. I see an Antonio Albanese age 25 arriving through Canada in June 1905. Ancestry has the border crossing information with 2 separate documents. He had been in the US previously..... looks like same time period.
and... there seems to be lots of Antonio Albanese on Ancestry's immigration records for the time period you targetted.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 9:47PM GMT
I guess maybe my question is irrelevant in that wouldn't they still show up on manifest for alien passengers for immigration through Ellis Island, regardless if they were crew or passengers? I assumed that maybe they were crew members and were able to 'skip' customs. I am probably wrong on that point as everyone would have had to clear customs and immigration. I am researching further to see if I can corroborate the other data for Salvatore and Antonio that doesn't look right. The two most promising show immigration for Salvatore (18 Mar 1902)and Antonio (07 Apr 1903). Thanks for your response and interest.

Thanks, Steve

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions