Search for content in message boards

Ship Chambly

Ship Chambly

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 1:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for a picture of the ship Chambly that would have been in use during 1832. Does anyone have any websites I could take a look at? I find a "Chambly" built in 1945, but my ancestors were on it in 1832. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Ship Chambly

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 11:02PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2012 11:24PM GMT
I hope you find something...

Just looking at a copy of an 1832 newspaper... unless someone has an artist's rendition or a woodcut illustration... that might be a tall order.

Illustrations made out of woodcuts gained popularity in the 1840's and 1850's.

There is mention of the Barque Chambly arriving from Hamburg to Baltimore...

Imagine a 48 day journey...

If you have the exact day of arrival and where, I can certainly look a newspaper clipping.

.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.LostQuays.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:02AM GMT
I actually put it into Google search under "Steamship Chambly". I found a picture. I put a link for it here, hope it comes up. I wonder if it is like what you saw. And I have a hard time in a CAR for 47 MINUTES!!!!

Attachments:

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:57AM GMT
I was thinking the same thing...

45 minutes in a car is a camping trip... maybe I'm exaggerating.. but I certainly know what you mean...

That's a nice pic you found.. but it is not a Barque...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barque

After reading that the voyage took about 48 days... and then to see an illustration of a barque... makes you realize how courageous the ancestors were... now that takes guts!

I'm glad that you have the passenger list! I do hope that you have the first page of the ship records... just gives you extra info about the timeline etc.

As mentioned earlier, should you wish to have a newspaper clipping just ask... doesn't say too much.. just says when it arrived .. and where.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 12:26PM GMT
Edited: 6 Dec 2012 12:32PM GMT
From what I can figure out from researching and reading about it, is that my ancestor took this "Chambly" from Quebec to Montreal. It states that only the trips "up" were recorded. He was originally from England and ended up in Bellevile, Ontario. If you would, could you check the newspaper for:

William Johnson, on Chambly, September 3, 1832. I'd appreciate it. This is all I can find! http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/1832/csep03... Thank you!

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 7:15PM GMT
Nothing shows up for "Chambly - Quebec - Montreal" as the archives I subscribe to are from American Newspapers...

I spoke to a rep in Ottawa about obtaining an original copy of the passenger list...

If you do not have one, you might be able to order from here..

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-300.001-e.p...

Also include the source info (below)/date/ship/name of passenger

National Archives of Canada MG 28, III, 57 - Reel M-8282 vol 64

If there is a charge, they should let you know in advance..

Make sure you ask for page one of the series as well, as it will have the name of the ship, the captain and the dates etc....

.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.LostQuays.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•.

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 7:47PM GMT
Thank you so much. Your help is much appreciated.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Langford
I am also looking for a family who were on the same ship. Just wondering if you have received any more information since the last post. The family I am looking for is Joseph Langford who was travelling with his 7 younger siblings. The parents and another sibling all died at sea between Ireland and Canada.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 6:07PM GMT

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 6:17PM GMT
Try this link, I found a Joseph Langford. It is line # 344-351. Possibly your ancestor.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/1832/cjun15...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions