Search for content in message boards

Robertson - Churchville, Pictou, Nova Scotia

Robertson - Churchville, Pictou, Nova Scotia

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 11:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robertson MacDonald
James Robertson, son of John the "Pioneer" Robertson of Farlie Scotland marr. Ellen (Helen) MacDonald, in 1787. Both of the East River.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nspictou/elect_text/Pictonians_ch_1... (also in the book “Rawdon & Douglas” on page 343

Ellen McDonald was married to James Robertson. The well-known Deacon Robertson, Churchville, was their son.

I am interested in confirming the birth date of James' wife, Ellen (Helen) MacDonald.

I tentatively have it listed as 1 Jul 1772 in Drumnadrochit, Inverness-shire.

Perhaps Ellen's year of birth is listed on the gravestone for James Robertson?

This family settled in Churchville, Pictou County, Nova Scotia.
Ellen (Helen) was a daughter of John MacDonald who settled at Bridgeville in 1784

I was sent a Robertson family genealogy chart by the Pictou County Roots Society but it contained no dates for Ellen. They had 11 children

I thought the following could have been James Robertson’s gravestone?, However, the Robertson chart I was sent for James showed his year of birth as 1761 and his year of death as 1835. There were no dates listed for his wife Ellen

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nspictou/cemeteries/cem_churchville...
James Robertson Aug. 18, 1835 in the 71 year of his age

Regards,

Ben MacDonald
Glendale, AZ

Re: Robertson - Churchville, Pictou, Nova Scotia

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Robertson ,Macdonald
Benjiman,Macdonald
In response to your query about Ellens birth date,was
she buried in Churchville cemetary? According to my family tree,the (Pioneers)grandson (john)was my G.G.G.G grandfather.If (Ellen)was buried in Churchville,i could go 0ver and check as i live close by.I still live on the original land grant in Churchville.
Have a good day
James Robertson

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 11:56PM GMT
James,

Ellen was born (Helen) on 2 July 1772 in Drumnadrochit Inverness-shire. She was a twin to Ann who married Thomas Fraser_Basin. I have her birth record if you would like to have it. She was a daughter of John MacDonald and Margaret Grant (my GGGG-Grandparents). Her brother Hugh Mc/MacDonald(Evan/Ewen) was my GGG-GF

Ben MacDonald
Glendale AZ

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 4:39AM GMT
Surnames: Robertson, MacKay, Matheson, McKenzie, MacDonald
Hi James, I am also member of this newsgroup and have noticed your post to Ben M. I am also related to your side of the family, John was my GGGGG Grandfather. I have headstone pictures of William & Christie Robertson and John, Margaret, & Mary Robertson that a cousin was kind enough to send to me. I believe they are in the old Pioneers cemetery. I don't have any pictures of the headstones for James and Ellen Robertson and if you get a chance to go to the cemetery or already have their headstone pictures I would also sincerely appreciate your effort in this matter to sned them to me also. My line is James, John, John, and CHarles, who was the first to come to USA, Sparta, IL. I have some history and pictures that if you don't already have I would be more than glad to share. Yours Aye, Dick Robertson

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Robertson
Dick
I just came back from the pioneer cemetary,but could not find John or Ellens headstone.What year did Ellen and John Pass on? i checked the newer cemmetary also but no luck.
Sorry i was not any help.My grandfather was John James,and great grandfather was John, I think my G.G. grandfather was Joseph but not sure, can you help me ouy there? Keep in touch .Have you got the book (the history of churchville)? Let me know if i can be of anymore help. Have a good day Jim Robertson.

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 3:13AM GMT
Hi again James, your Grandfather John James and my Great Grandfather Charles were brothers. I have their parents as John and M. Nellie (MacKenzie) Robertson, and their parents were John and Catherine(Matheson)Robertson, and their parents were James and Ellen(MacDonald) Robertson. Of course James father was John the Pioneer and Margaret MacKay. At one time I think I had a web link to the cemetery they were in but can't find it right now. I will keep working on it. I don't think then that your GG Grandfather was Joseph if your part of this line. I have a genealogy chart that was published in 1971 that my dad gave me. I have it scanned but it is so big 2 x 2 ft. that I had to break it up into several scans to do it all. I can send you them if you like. I don't have Ellen Robertsons passing date but her husband James passed 18 Aug. 1835.If you could contact me with your email I would be glad to pass on anything I have in our line. Dick Robertson

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:42AM GMT
Hi Dick.
I am glad you sent me this information,it jogged my memory my Grandparents were John and Nellie also,my fathers middle name was (Mackenzie)named after her.I got a list of the names of people buried in the Pioneer Cemetary Johns is there he died in 1835 at age 71,but Ellen is not there, his is the only name on the stone.If you punch in (Churchville Pioneer Cemetary)in your search engine you should get it.Did you ever visit Churchville? I would appreciate any information you could send me.jrobertson000@eastlink.ca

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:43AM GMT
Hi Dick.
I am glad you sent me this information,it jogged my memory my Grandparents were John and Nellie also,my fathers middle name was (Mackenzie)named after her.I got a list of the names of people buried in the Pioneer Cemetary Johns is there he died in 1835 at age 71,but Ellen is not there, his is the only name on the stone.If you punch in (Churchville Pioneer Cemetary)in your search engine you should get it.Did you ever visit Churchville? I would appreciate any information you could send me.jrobertson000@eastlink.ca

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:44AM GMT
Hi Dick.

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 11:45AM GMT
Hi Dick.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions