Search for content in message boards

McDonaghs of Carraroe, Galway

McDonaghs of Carraroe, Galway

Posted: 12 Mar 2002 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonagh, Conneely, Flaherty
I am looking for any info on Mary McDonagh, born 1878, died Dec. 1920 as well as her husband Patrick Conneely. They married in 1910 and raised daughters Mary and Bridget in Bonrough, Galway.

Also looking for Peter McDonagh (other side of the family!) who was married to Mary Flaherty. They lived in Rynn, Carraroe, Galway and had 9 children that I know of: Patrick, Matthew, Mary, John, Thomas, Barbara, Martin, Bartley, and my grandfather William who was the youngest, born in 1908.

Re: McDonaghs of Carraroe, Galway

KAREN CONNORS (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2002 3:07PM GMT
I have a BarbaraMcdonagh in my family tree she was married to aPatrick Coyne i dont know anything else about them except they were from the ballinakill area in galway.

Posted: 2 May 2002 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2006 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: McDonagh, Coyne
Karen, about what year are we talking about for your Barbara McDonagh and Patrick Coyne? Even a ballpark idea will be helpful when I check with my family.

KAREN CONNORS (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2002 1:37AM GMT
The only year i have for PatrickCoyne IsMarch 2,1897he was a twin to AnnaCoyne Flanagan.
I dont know anything about Barbara McDonagh i think Patrick died in 1975.

kathy jay (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2002 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 20 Dec 2003 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: McDonough
Do you have a Miles and Bridget (Barry) McDonagh in your family tree? They are my gggrandparents and were from Carraroe. Their children & birthdates that I know of were Joseph (24 April 1867), Miles (27 Sept 1869), Bridget (04 Sept 1872), and Thomas (14 Dec 1873). Joseph was my ggrandfather and I believe there were several more children. I also have a wedding document for a Patrick McDonough (son of John) and Barbara McDonough (dau of Miles) for 22 Jan 1874. I'm not sure if Barbara was an older sibling or extended family. Thank you. Kathy

Posted: 1 Jul 2002 11:00PM GMT
Unfortunately, my research hasn't taken me back far enough to say whether there is a conncetion, but I will be traveling to Carraroe later this month, so I will keep your question among my notes when I do my research. Good luck in your continuing search.

Posted: 15 Dec 2003 2:22AM GMT
I had a grand aunt Annie O'Flaherty who married a McDonough. She was born in Lettermullen Galway Ireland.

She was my grand mother Elizabeth Jane O'Flaherty Loftus'
sister. My grandmother was born in 1893

my paternal grand uncle Thomas Loftus married Delia Flaherty
my paternal grand uncle Bartley Loftus married Agnes Flaherty
my paternal grand uncle Redmond Loftus married Catheirne Flaherty

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 3:38AM GMT
I know your message was posted a while ago, I'm pretty new to this so I thought I'd see if you were still doing your research. I have a Martin Joseph McDonagh 4 Nov 1918 died 1993, his father was Thomas - came from Oughterard near Galway. I don't know if there is a connection to your Thomas??? Any help would be appreciated. Still tracking down birth and death certificates...
Thanks

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 11:19AM GMT
I will take a look through my information and let you know what I can find. My grandmother still lives in the area. I will see if she has any info too. Good luck with your searching!

Ann

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 11:12AM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2006 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: McDonagh, McDonough, McDonah, Lee, Sullivan, Connolly ,Conneely Walsh, Mullen, Mullin, O'Malley, O'Toole, Hynes
Please review the following message that is posted in its entirety from CousinConnect. In brief, the McDonaghs (McDonoughs) in question are Bridget and Delia? McDonagh and William McDonough. Bridget and Delia are sisters. I'm not sure if Delia is a nickname. Delia married my 2nd great grandfather, Coleman Sullivan. See message below for more detailed information on the Sullivan/ McDonagh/ Lee family. Bridget married Pat Mullen/Mullin of the Man of Aran fame and had Barbara Mullen and at least one other child. William McDonough from Tiernee married Marie Lee (See below)

Thank you.

Last Updated 9/6/2006 – Searching for information on the families of my great grandparents, Colman SULLIVAN (aka Coleman) born 06/1885 and Hannah LEE (aka Nora or Hannah “Nora”). They had 13 children. I do have their names, but for privacy, cannot list them here. Please contact for more information. CORRECTED INFORMATION: Nora was born 15 May 1892. She died at the end of June, 1973 according to one of her daughters.

Colman SULLIVAN's naturalization application lists the ship he arrived on as the SS FRANCONIA in July of 1914. This ship left QUEENSTOWN in June and arrived at the Port of BOSTON in July of 1914. The information on the ship's manifest indicates: Coleman Sullivan was born in Carraroe, Co. Galway, Ireland; his father is Pat SULLIVAN of TOUREEN, CARRAROE, Co. GALWAY; he has a cousin Barbara CONNOLLY in BOSTON.

I have located census records and directory information for Coleman SULLIVAN, Hannah and family in Portland, ME and South Boston, MA. The census information seems to further verify that Coleman Sullivan came over in 1914 from Ireland. There is a discrepancy in the date listed on the census for Hannah. It lists that she came over in 1914, but she is reported to have come over in 1912.

The ship manifest for Ellis Island on the date that Hannah (Nora) Lee reportedly came over lists Hannah as having a sister “Hannah Johnson” in Connecticut, Hannah’s final destination is CT, and the father Michael Lee is from Limerick. Just because the information sounds wrong doesn’t mean it is.

I did find a very close match to her at the port of Boston in 1914. She lists her last residence as Rosmuck; her father is from Rosmuck, Co. Galway; her birthplace is Rosmuck. The “Norah” on this ship is visiting her sister “Mrs. John Lee” (See Lee marriages below where her sister Mary Lee married John Lee, no relation). Again, just because the information seems to fit, doesn’t make it correct.

All of following information is listed (as given to me) by a family member. Please check for accuracy in your records:

Coleman's parents are Patrick SULLIVAN and Delia MCDONAGH (McDonah, McDonough). Delia has at least one sibling, Bridget.

Coleman MAY have the following siblings, some of which I am certain of: John, Bridget, Margaret , Irene, Thomas, Patrick.

Coleman SULLIVAN married Hannah(Nora) LEE. Coleman’s brother John SULLIVAN married Hannah's sister Bridget(Delia)LEE (see Lee marriages below).

Hannah's parents are Michael LEE of Snabo, baptized 29 September 1861 (Parents of Michael Lee are said to be Thomas LEE and Monica WALSH and Catherine O'MALLEY of Tiernee. Michael and Catherine (Kate?) had the following children: Thomas, Martin, Bridget(Delia), Mary, Hannah(Nora), Michael, Barbara, Marie(a), Helen, Catherine, John, Ann(e)(or Nan).

The information below has the following format: Child’s Name, Birth/Baptism date, Spouse/ Spouse’s hometown.

Thomas Lee, 12 Jan 1883, Mary Tierney, Oughterand (Oughterard)
Martin Lee, 12 May 1885, Winifred Acton, Oughterand (Oughterard)

Bridget Lee, 21 Jan 1888, John Sullivan, Tuairin (Toureen)

Mary Lee, 21 Aug 1890, John Lee, Lettermullen

Nora Lee, 15 May 1892, Colman Sullivan, Tuairin (Toureen)

Michael Lee, 9 Oct 1895, Barbara Walsh, Snabo (Snauvbo)

Barbara Lee, 30 Jun 1896, Martin Walsh, Snabo (Snauvbo)

Marie Lee, 21 Oct 1897, William McDonough, Tiernee

Helen Lee, 5 Mar 1900, Bartley J. O’Toole, Lettercallow

Catherine Lee, 5 Mar 1900, Bartley Walsh, Snabo (Snauvbo)

John Lee, 22 Nov 1901, Helen HYNES, Snabo (Snauvbo) ((UPDATE: I have confirmed with his grandson that John Lee died in 2003))

Ann LEE (aka Nan?, Anne), 13 Apr 1905, John CONNEELY, Snabo (Snauvbo)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic