Search for content in message boards

Rev. C. H. 'Jack' Linn and Hallelujah Camp Ground

Rev. C. H. 'Jack' Linn and Hallelujah Camp Ground

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 10:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LINN, NELSON, LALOR
I am seeking information on my great-grandfather Rev. Clement H. Linn aka Jack Linn.

In the early 1920s, he and his 2nd wife, Sophie (Nelson) Linn ran the Hallelujah Camp Ground in Oregon, Dane Co., WI.

I would like to learn the date and place of death of Jack Linn and his wife, later Mrs. Sophie Lalor. Also, where they are buried.

Thanks.

Re: Rev. C. H. 'Jack' Linn and Hallelujah Camp Ground

Posted: 19 Jan 2007 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Linn Lalor
Rev. Jack Linn's brother (Rexford) was my grandfather. I can't answer your question but I would be interested in sharing other family history with you (if you would like). Until I saw you post I did not know that there were any descendants of Clement Linn.

Posted: 21 Jan 2007 12:56AM GMT
A copy of the obituary for Linn, C. H. 1886 - 1940 record # 59193 can be ordered from the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Title: Wisconsin Necrology, vol. 44, pages 15-16
Has portrait.

They also have a photo of the campground on web.

vmatz@tds.net

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Linn, Shelmire
Following is information regarding Rev. Linn. There are two pictures in the newspaper. If you would likek them I can send this in a pdf form. Please e-mail me direct then. marana@tds.net
Sandie

Wisconsin State Journal
Dec. 13, 1940
Madison WI
Page 1

Prayer 'Started' His Camp
'Hallelujah Jack' Linn,
Oregon Pastor, Dies

OREGON — The Rev. C. H. "Jack" Linn, 54, founder and superintendent of the Hallelujah camp here, died early today of a
heart attack. He had been ill during the night, complaining of pains in his chest. He succumbed about 5:30
this morning, and his wife, who had sat up with him all night, called a physician. The physician , who had never
treated Mr. Linn, called the coroner, who said death was due to a heart attack.
Survivors include the widow; his father, Sherman Linn, Goodman, Mo.; two brothers, Rexford,
Brooklyn, N. Y., and Grover, Tucson, Ariz., and a sister, Mrs. Olive Shelmire, Chicago.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p. m. Tuesday from the Kjolseth funeral home at
Stoughton, with burial at Prairie Mound cemetery, Oregon.
Mr. Linn, known as "Hallelujah Jack," gave the credit to prayer for the start of his unique
camp on Highway 13, on the south edge of Oregon, several years ago. | "I was a newspaperman," he '
once recalled, "and I lay down the pen to take up the pulpit. And I was an actor, and I forsook the
footlig-hts to preach the Gospel. "I came to Wisconsin because I did not want to go to China or
Japan or Africa, and I bought an abandoned tobacco field on Highway 13, and asked God to wave a
magic wand over it and make it the most beautiful camp meeting grounds in the world.
"I do not want to brag about myself, but I do want to boast of the Father in Heaven, because He
answered my prayer." Bolstered by prayer, he built up the camp so it included a large
tabernacle, dormitory, and dining room, a print shop and children's tabernacle, cottages, and other
buildings. He put in modern conveniences, ' and landscaped the grounds. "We have planted more than
2,000 trees and shrubs," he once said. "So you see a tobacco field can be converted too."
Under his leadership, the meeting place became famous, and every year drew rnany of the annual camp meetings, incorporated
under state laws, interdenominational. Mr. Linn himself was an ordained minister in the Congregational church, while his
wife is a Presbyterian, his mother and father Methodists, and one brother a Baptist.
Special preachers, musicians, and singers from different parts of the country were highlighted on
at the annual programs. In 1931, Mr. Linn took a seven month missionary journey around the world, visiting 25 countries, in
an "independent and interdenominational" trip. Mrs. Linn carried on evangelistic work in this country.
On that trip, Mr. Linn had his picture taken in Bedouin costume in Jerusalem. "Hallelujah Jack" told a frank
story about his conversion. "I was editor of a newspaper in a town down on the Mississippi river in Arkansas, living under an
assumed name because of some troubles I had on Broadway in New York when I was on the "It was just like a fellow getting over the tooth-ache. Once he
had it and then it was gone. I had a new heart. I was so happy and light inside that I could have
walked on eggs and not broken a single one."
His getting religion was "simply wonderful," Mr. Linn continued. "The new fangled idea today is to stick up your little finger, sign
on the dotted line, join the church over the telephone, send your picture to be baptized and hear the sermons over the radio.
"That was not my case. I felt the sins of my heart leave, and before I knew it I hollered out loud, 'Hallelujah!' I knew it wasn't cussin'. Honest, I did not want to cuss.
" 'Hallelujah' means 'Praise the Lord, or Glory to God!' Imagine a fellow like me saying that. I had been playing stud-poker all night
just two days before, and now praising the Lord. Bless Cod, I was saved from a bottomless hell to a topless heaven."
In his story, like a sermon, Jack told how "as a kid," he sold newspapers, shined shoes, was a store cash-boy, messenger boy, bell hop,
and printer's devil. In that story, told 12 years ago, Jack said, "In other states they flock to hear me, and here they scheme to stay away." His hustling to raise $50,000 for Ihe camp meeting showed he was a booster for the state, he declared. "But I’m not complaining; as we have good crowds and are making
progress," he added. "And some day old Wisconsin will wake up."

Capital Times
Dec. 15, 1940
Madison WI
THE REV. C. N. LINN
.. Funeral services for the Rev. C. H.
"Jack" Linn. 54. founder and for
many. years director of the Hallelujah
camp at Oregon, who died Friday,
will be held Tuesday at 2 in the Kjolseth funeral home, Stoughton. Burial
will be in Prairie Mound cemetery, Oregon.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:26PM GMT
Thank you to all of you for the information you have shared.

Since posting here, I have found one copy of my great-grandfather's obituary. So I was delighted to see the additional obituary transcribed here, as well as his death notice from another publication.

Since my original post, I have subscribed to ancestry.com with a different username and different email. Probably why I wasn't alerted to your replies. My apologies!

Thanks again, for all the replies. Much appreciated!

Posted: 27 Dec 2013 12:58AM GMT
Hello, my name is Daniel Goodman and I have came across a hymn book of songs written by Jack Linn. All songs were written by Jack Linn in the 1915 thru 1920 era.
Are you interested in obtaining this book? I am sure it has sentimental value to you.

Please let me know.

You can contact me at 816-591-9754 or dgoodm13@yahoo.com
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Dec 2013 11:11PM GMT
Hi Daniel,
Thank you but I already have a copy of the Red book as well as several other songbooks and books he wrote. Thanks for asking, though, I appreciate it.
Lisa P.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic