Search for content in message boards

Boland/Byrnes

Boland/Byrnes

Marion Kelly (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2002 5:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boland, Byrnes, O'Brien
Matthew Boland and Mary Byrnes(parents Michael Byrnes and Mary Barkery) of Tipperary. Children (born ca 1833-1864.) Ellen, Phillip, John, James, Maria, Bridget, Matthew and Michael all emmigrated to Australia (incl Mary Byrnes) 1864. All settled in Maffra Vic. Aust. Phillip married Johanna Mary O'Brien (her parents Daniel O'brien and Bridget Walsh Limerick). Another son, Thomas emmigrated to US.

Re: Boland/Byrnes

Phil White (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2003 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: BYrne, BYrnes, O'Byrne
I am researching Byrne/Byrnes from Tiperary, and have had contact with Byrnes from around Bansha, nr Tipperary town.

Do you know any more about Mary Byrnes and her father MIchael Byrnes' families? (names, date, birthplaces etc).
If it sounds like a useful lead for you, I may be able to help you with some aspects.

regards

Posted: 17 Dec 2003 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Byrnes & Conway, Byrnes & Heffernan, Byrnes & O'Dwyer, Bansha, 9 children
Circa 1865,
James Byrnes married Johanna Conway. They lived on a family farm in Bansha, near Tipperary and their marriage produced children named,:

Rev. Edmund Byrnes, died 1942-Chicago, 75 y.o.
Rev. Daniel Byrnes, died 1952-Chicago, 75 y.o.
Rev. James Canon Byrnes, died Ireland 1946?
Patrick Byrnes
Mrs. Marry Heffernan
Thomas S. Byrnes (my grandfather) died 1942-Chicago, 69 y.o.
Mrs. Annie O'Dwyer
Dennis Byrnes
John Byrnes

Are any of these names connected with your clan? Please respond

Phil White (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2003 9:09AM GMT
Hello Daniel
IT is highly probable that the families are related, but it may take a litte effort to find the exact connection. I will explain my sources:
I was given a lot of family tree information by a nun cousin, a Byrne descendant, who in turn had been given a handwritten family tree by a cousin of hers, one of the Byrnes at Bansha, probably about 1980.
He wrote of a family descended from Edmund Byrnes and Catherine Woodlock with at least 7 children born about 1840-1850. 4 of the children- THomas, William, Jack (presumably "James"), and a daughter all went to the US. Denis stayed in Ireland and is the ancestor of the current Bansha Byrnes.
While this source did get some names and dates wrong, is it possible that you are descended from the "Jack" (or James) above?
I am descended from another line which went to Ballylusky, near Killenaule in NE Tipperary in the 1870's.
Feel free to reply directly to my EMail address which should be in this message.
Best wishes
Phil White

Posted: 19 Dec 2003 10:38AM GMT
Daniel: I noticed that you are researching Byrnes from Bansha. I am researching Byron from Bansha. The names appear to be used interchangeably in the early 19th Century. Have you come across any Byron references in your research?

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 6:14PM GMT
Have not found a connection between Byrnes / Byron, yet.

I will post you should I find anything.

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 6:21PM GMT
Phil:

Thank you for your message, though I didn't see your email address. The "Jack" Byrnes probably is not of my clan because "Jack (or James Byrnes") did not immigrate to the US.

Phil White (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2003 8:05AM GMT
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your message. My Email address is
philwhite@paradise.net.nz
I would be interested in any further details you have about your Bansha Byrnes, as my understanding is that they are in fact all related. Bansha is a pretty small place just south of Tipperary town in case you have not been there. The family tree that I have been given has lots of branches including priests of the names you mentioned so if you know any other details about the family I would be pleased to hear of them. As I mentiomned earlier it is possible that the handwritten tree which I quoted earlier may have had errors as it went back about 6 generations and I suspect that some of the details of connections may be wrong.
Best wishes
Phil White

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 6:00PM GMT
Surnames: byrnes
thank you for responding. my "byrnes" indeed included a james, from bansha, but james did not emmigrate to us as his sons had. however, i can relate anecdotal info regarding the byrnes family farm in or near bansha...that son patrick or "paddy" inherited farm from farther james edmund (circa 1900?). One of patrick's brothers, rev. james canon byrnes, remained in ireland, where he was a pastor (catholic) for a parish near thurtles and bansha. Mary (patrick's sister) married a hefernan, and his other sister, annie, married o'dwyer.
any of this interesting to you?

Re: Boland/Byrnes from Bansha

Phil White (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Byrne
Dear Daniel
Thanks you for your message; the names do not fit easily into the family tree that I have inherited, written down by Byrnes living at Ballycarron, near Bansha, in about 1990. However, the population around Bansha is not large, and many of the names you submit are familiar names from my family tree, and it would be very surprising if there was not a strong connection; it is quite possible, for example, that the chart I have been given includes mistakes, with names (recorded from memory) confused into different generations.
I am happy to submit my information direct to you if you wish, but if you haev any further info to provide to see if there is any more obvious connection I would appreciate it.
Kind regards
Phil White

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions