Search for content in message boards

My Grandfather "Harry McCastland"

My Grandfather "Harry McCastland"

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 5:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCastland, Lungren
I would like to thank everyone that shared the photo's of our family. I was very touched to look at the photo's.
Was my Grandfather(Harry E. McCastland's) real name Henry E. McCastland? If so did the E stand for Eugene?
I just wondered because my brother's middle name is Eugene and we are trying to figure out where that middle name came from.
Would anyone have a photo of my Grandfather Harry? How did my grandfather Harry die?
Would anyone have a photo of my Great Grandfather..Harry C McCastland? I know he hung himself in the basement leaving Nellie to take care of all the children.
Again, THANK YOU for sharing photos of our family.

Re: My Grandfather "Harry McCastland"

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 7:06PM GMT
here's a notice about Harry's death in February 1939
Chicago Tribune (IL) - February 12, 1939

Deceased Name: McCASTLAND
--Harry McCastland, suddenly, 7914 Champlain avenue, beloved husband of Nellie [nee King], father of Harry, John, Emmett, Paul Thomas, Margaret, Mrs. Mary Kelly, Mrs. Helen McDonald, and Mrs. Agnes Fuhrman. Funeral notice later.
Edition: Chicago Tribune
Copyright 1939, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.

here's one for his son Emmett
Chicago Tribune (IL) - January 29, 1941

Emmett G. McCastland of 7914 Champlain avenue, beloved son of Nellie King McCastland and the late Harry, dear brother of Mary Kelly, Harry, Helen McDonald, John, Patricia Fuhrman, Paul, Thomas, and Margaret McCastland. Funeral Friday, 9 a.m., from chapel, 7705 South Cottage Grove avenue, to St. Dorothy's church. Interment Mount Olivet.
Copyright 1941, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.
here's Harry E.'s
Chicago Tribune (IL) - March 05, 1949

Harry E. McCastland, of 7908 S. Langley avenue, beloved husband of Margaret Marose Carroll McCastland, dear son of Nellie, nee King and the late Harry McCastland, fond brother of Mary, Helen, Patricia, Margaret, John, Paul, Thomas and the late Emmett McCastland. Funeral Monday, 8:45 a.m., from funeral home, 79th street at Loomis boulevard, to St. Dorothy's church. Interment Holy Sepulchre cemetery. Information TRiangle 4-1187.
Copyright 1949, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.
Here's Nellie King McCastland's
Chicago Tribune (IL) - June 23, 1958

--Nellie King McCastland, beloved wife of the late Harry McCastland; loving mother of Mary Kelly, Helen McDonald, Jack, Patricia Wolfe, Paul, Thomas, Margaret, and the late Harry and Emmett McCastland; fond sister of Margaret Williams, George, Loretta King, and Agnes Perth. Funeral Wednesday, 9 a.m., from funeral home, 79th street at Loomis boulevard, to St. Cajetan's church. Interment Mount Olivet. TRiangle 4-1187.
Copyright 1958, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.

here's John's(son of Henry and Nellie)TWO obits
Chicago Tribune (IL) - September 27, 1966

Deceased Name: McCastland
Chief John P. McCastland, retired Oak Lawn Fire Dept., beloved husband of Loretta, nee Monahan; loving father of Joan and John P. McCastland Jr., U. S. M. C.; beloved son of the late Harry and Nellie King McCastland; dear brother of Mary Kelly, Helen McDonald, Patricia Wolfe, Paul, Thomas, Marge McCastland, the late Harry and Emmet McCastland. Funeral Thursday, 9:15 a.m., from Blake-Lamb Funeral Home, 4727 W. 103d st., Oak Lawn, to St. Linus church. Interment Holy Sepulchre. Visitation after 4 p.m. Tuesday. For transportation information, call 636-1193 or 735-4242.
Copyright 1966, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.
Chicago Tribune (IL) - September 27, 1966

Deceased Name: M'CASTLAND, EX-OAK LAWN FIREMAN, DIES
John P. McCastland, 59, of 5026 Elm Circle dr., Oak Lawn, who retired in June as fire chief of the village, died yesterday in Little Company of Mary hospital, Evergreen Park.

Mr. McCastland became a member of the fire department about 16 years ago when it was a volunteer unit and had been chief for four years. For many years he served on the board of directors of the Illinois Firemen's association, was a past president of the Community Firemen's association, and also had worked for the village water, police, and streets departments.

A resident of Chicago before moving to Oak Lawn in 1947, he formerly was employed in circulation departments of Chicago newspapers. Surviving are his widow, Loretta; a son, Marine Pvt. John McCastland; and a daughter, Joan. Mass for McCastland will be said at 10 a.m. Thursday in St. Linus Catholic church, 10337 S. Lawler av., Oak Lawn.
Copyright 1966, Chicago Tribune.[br]For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.

here's daughter Helen's
Chicago Tribune (IL) - May 22, 1976

Deceased Name: McDONALD
Helen McDonald, nee McCastland, beloved wife of the late Eugene P. McDonald; dearest sister of Mary Kelly, Patricia Wolfe, Paul, Thomas, Margaret, the late Harry, John and Emmett McCastland. Funeral Monday, 10 a.m., from Blake-Lamb Funeral Home, 712 W. 31st St., to St. Philip Neri Church. Mass 11 a.m. Interment St. Mary Cemetery. Visitation after 6 p.m. Saturday. In lieu of flowers, donations to your favorite charity would be appreciated. 735-4242.
Copyright 1976, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago Tribune.

IL State Archives Death Index 1916-1949
http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/idphdeathsrch.html
please note how surname is spelled
McCASTLAND
Henry Alexander died 11 Feb 1939 cert # 0004636 Cook Chicago
Mc CASTLAND(note space between c's)
Harry age 46yrs d. 3 Mar 1949 Cook County cert # 6006921
Emmett age 32yrs died 28 Jan 1941cook chicago etc.

family search pilot website
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
under IL Cook County
Harry A Mccastland age 29 married Nellie King age 21 on 19 apr 1901 in Chicago
also has birth certs for several children
1st John mccastland b. 16 Dec 1902(died young?)
John Patrick mccastland 4 Nov 1906
male mccastland b. 16 May 1913(probably Paul)born PRINCETON lists father as Harry age 42 yrs born Chicago,mother Mellie King(note spelling)
agnes mc castland b. 26 sep 1911
your can click on each entry look at and copy the original certificates.

Have you tried getting copies of appropriate marriage and death certs?
try Cynthia
chicagogenealogy.com
hope these help
kathy

Re: My Grandfather "Harry McCastland"

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 7:47PM GMT
Thank you Kathy,
So very much!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions