Search for content in message boards

Nourse Family, Picton, Ontario

Nourse Family, Picton, Ontario

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Dec 2012 10:24PM GMT
I am looking for info on the descendants of my second cousin, Major Clifford Bennett Nourse (1889-1928). He was born at Bedford, Cape, South Africa, came to North America, graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College, fought as a Canadian soldier in WW1, married Sidna Beverly McDonald of Picton, and was buried at Glenwood Cemetery in Picton, Ontario. He may have had 2 children, one almost certainly being Gordon Beverly Nourse (1917-1987), RCAF, and also buried at Glenwood Cemetery. Gordon Beverly's wife was probably Ainslie (Lee) Grace Patton.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Nourse Family, Picton, Ontario

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 11:17AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: NURSE, MILLER, MCDONALD, JACKSON
Name: Elifford Bennett Nourse
[Clifford Bennett Nourse]
Birth Place: St Africa
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Father Name: Gordon Nourse
Mother Name: Alice Miller
TO
Spouse Name: Sidna McDonald
Spouse's Age: 21
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1895
Spouse Birth Place: Picton, Ontario
Spouse Father Name: Beverly McDonald
Spouse Mother Name: Alma Jackson
Marriage Date: 17 Jun 1916
Marriage County or District: Prince Edward

Name: Clifford Nourse
STUDENT
GOING TO GUELPH
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Date of Arrival: 15 Sep 1912
Vessel: Canada
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4791

WW1
Name: Clifford Bennett Nourse
Residence: Pictou, Ontario
Birth Date: 20 Sep 1889
Birth Location: Bedford, Cape Colony, South Afr
Relative: Sidna Beverley Mourse
Relationship: Wife

Name: Clifford Bennett Nourse
STUDENT
SINGLE
Arrival Date: 8 Sep 1910
Birth Date: abt 1890
Birth Location: So Apus
Birth Location Other: berford
Ethnicity/ Nationality: English
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Majestic
BROTHER: G.E. NOURSE EDE.B..RG, O.F.S. GUELPH

Name: Clifford B Nourse
Date of Arrival: 20 Sep 1915
Vessel: Corsican
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4814

Name: Mrs Clifford Nourse
Marital Status: Widow
Electoral District: Prince Edward-Lennox
Year: 1940

Name: Mrs Clifford Nourse
Marital Status: Married Woman (Married)
Electoral District: Prince Edward-Lennox
Year: 1935

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 7:12AM GMT
Sidna Nourse was a commercial portrait and landscape photographer in Picton Ontario into the late 1940s. I may be able to find her dates in business more definitively in a couple of weeks, when I think that I can gain access to a reference on commercial photographers in Ontario. If so, I'll pass them on.

Coincidentally, she and her husband lived on Johnson Street in Picton, near the home of Reginald Nourse, a Picton lawyer, but no relation, as far as I can determine. Reginald Nourse was my spouse's grandfather, and we have several hand-tinted family photographs signed by Sidna Nourse.

While not genealogical, this may help put Sidna Nourse in social context.

Regards,

Ian Barker

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 11 Dec 2012 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: NURSE, MILLER, MCDONALD, JACKSON
Thanks for some additional info that I don't have. There are a few small errors in your data according to my sources and citations and I can provide more information if you would like. I will let you have the error corrections when I get a moment in the next week or so.
Steven

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 9:25PM GMT
Surnames: Nourse, McDonald.
Thanks for the info and look forward to hearing more when you have the chance. Sidna Nourse (nee McDonald) was born 5 Sept 1893 and died in 1971. She was buried at Glenwood Cemetery in Picton. As far as I know her husband, Major Clifford Bennett Nourse, was a farmer in P. E. County after his army career in WWI. So I am a little surprised that she would have been a commercial photographer. But I suppose it is quite possible since her husband died young (37) I suspect as a results of wounds he suffered in the war - so she would have had to do something to support the family. She would have been in her fifties in the late 1940's when you say she was still active as a photographer. You're right - Reginald Nourse was no relation as far as I can tell.
Steven

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: Nourse, McDonald, Maher
Hi Ian. I have confirmed your info on Sidna Nourse, 1918-2009, from the Canada Voters Lists, 1935-1980. They show that she lived at 4 Johnson St with Gordon Beverly Nourse, 1917-1987, and that she was a photographer. Evidently he was her son tho’ I have no records to verify. The same Lists show Reginald Nourse and wife living next door at 4 Johnson St. I find it difficult to believe this was just a coincidence.

Clifford Bennett Nourse, Sidna’s husband, came to Canada from S. Africa in 1910 to study at the Ontario Agricultural College and stayed. The S. African Nourses are descended from Joseph Nourse, 1750-1802, a London wine and lace merchant. Perhaps your Reginald Nourse was descended from the Weston-under-Penyard, Herefordshire, Nourses and James Nourse who emigrated to the USA and died at Annapolis in 1784.

I also found from the 1963 Lists that there was a Dorothy Nourse (nee Maher), a teacher, living at the same address as Gordon Nourse. I don’t know whether she was his aunt or not directly related but she was born and died in exactly the same years as his mother Sidna. I also found from the Canadian Phone and Address Directories, 1995-2002, that there was a Gordon Nourse living at 6-D Johnson St in 1995, 1996 and 1997. I am left wondering who the husband of Dorothy Nourse was and where the 2nd Gordon Nourse fits in. Any ideas? Thanks. Steven

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 12:45AM GMT
Here are some clarifications about Sidna Nourse and family:
Sidna McDonald met Clifford when they both attended Ontario Agricultural College. Upon graduation they were involved with an experimental farm In Saskatchewan. Following an accident (I do not know the details) in which her husband was killed, Sidna returned to the old family home(4 Johnson st, Picton) with her two young sons from the marriage: Gordon and Alan. The boys attended Lakefield College while Sidna studied photography in New York for a year. When she returned to Picton she set up a studio in town. She did not remarry but lived with her maiden sister, Naomi McDonald (a dietician at the county hospital) in the old family home
It truly was a coincidence that the neighbours at 2 Johnson were the Nourses (pronounced "nurse" as opposed to Clifford's "Norse". As a child I was told many times that there was absolutely no relationship other than neighbours!
Dorothy Maher, (1918-2009) high school teacher and daughter of Picton pharmacist John Maher was Gordon's first wife and I, Nancy, am their only child. Lee was Gordon's second wife and they lived in the apartment at no6 Johnson.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: Nourse, McDonald, Maher
Thanks Nancy for the info on Clifford and Sidna et al. I am not sure if you have seen my Staples/Nourse Tree where I have quite a bit more info on Clifford, particularly his army experiences. Also was finally able to figure out from various other sources how Gordon Beverly, Dorothy (your mother), Lee, and Alan fit together and which you confirm. But the stuff that only family knows is great. Incidentally I have gone on your interesting website and see you are in TO as am I. Maybe we can meet if you would like - I have family here. We also have Nourse cousins living in Oakville. Steven

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 11:20PM GMT
Thanks for your message. Perhaps you could tell me a little about how the Staples and Nourses are related. I have not seen the family tree you mentioned and I really don't want the 14 day trial on ancestry at this time, as I am too busy to make good use of it. I look forward to when things slow down a bit and I can take some time to pursue some family history in greater depth.
Nancy

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 9:56PM GMT
Thanks for your message. Perhaps you could tell me a little about how the Staples and Nourses are related. I have not seen the family tree you mentioned and I really don't want the 14 day trial on ancestry at this time, as I am too busy to make good use of it. I look forward to when things slow down a bit and I can take some time to pursue some family history in greater depth.
Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions