Search for content in message boards

Hord family

Hord family

Larry Hobby (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
William Howard Hord (1764-1825) married Nacy Ann Gibbons (1772-1841). Can anyone tell me if they had a Child named Thomas Hord Born About 1805? If so are there more chilren?

Re: Hord family

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 4:13AM GMT
Thomas Hord, s/o William and Nancy Gibbons Hord, married (1) Mary Elizabeth
McCulloch (2) Amelia Mildred Gilmer. There were nine children of the first
marriage, two of the second.

Posted: 7 Jan 2004 4:32PM GMT
Thomas Eldridge Hord b. 31 Aug 1802 Hawkins County, Tennessee d. 15 Sep 1865 Rutherford County, Tennessee
(1) m. 3 Apr 1834 Mary Elizabeth McCulloch b 22 Nov 1816 d. 16 Sep 1851 in Rutherford County, Tennessee
(2) m. 12 Oct 1859 Amelia Mildred Gilmer b. 29 Jan 1820 d. 15 Jul 1892 in Rutherford County, Tennessee

Issue of first marriage:
Sarah Ann 29 Jan 1835-13 Mar 1923
Ada Byron 22 Oct 1836-16 Apr 1920
Jane Caswell 3 Aug 1838-31 Oct 1852
Mary Adelaide 28 Sep 1829-10 Jul 1840
Benjamin McCulloch* 20 Mar 1842-1922
Alice Gray 5 Feb 1844-
Thomas Eldridge 16 Sep 1846-31 Oct 1869
Ellen Lucretia 24 Jan 1849-11 Apr 1877
Mary Elizabeth 24 Jul 1851

Issue of second marriage:
Mildred Tommie 30 May 1861 - 9 May 1912
Thomas Epps Gibbons 27 Feb 1863

*Benjamin McCulloch Hord was the author of "Nick Hardeman."

Posted: 8 Jan 2004 11:36PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2006 9:46PM GMT
How does this Hord family connect to the Heard/Herd/Hurd vamily of Hawkins co, Tn.? Or does it connect? Many of this Heard/Herd/Hurd family have been transcribed as Hord, etc. Eldridge Hord/Herd was transcribed on the 1850 census by Treadway as Hord and the actual census looks like Herd. Also do you have any records as to where this Thomas Eldridge Hord lived or was on census records where? The children of the Thomas on the 1850 Hawkins co census do not match your list. You did not say when he left Hawkins co, Tn, or how you knew that he was born in Hawkins co, Tn. The McCollough and the Gray family intermarried and lived in the Hancock co, Tn area that was Claiborne
co at one time

Margaret

Posted: 9 Jan 2004 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: HORD, GIBBONS
It is difficult to distinguish between all of the Thomas Hords in the lines descending from John Hord of Essex County, Virginia.

I am not aware of any connection to the Heard/Herd/Hurd families of Hawkins County, Tennessee. This particular Thomas is not the Thomas Hord enumerated in the 1850 census of Hawkins County, Tennessee, for whom I don't know the parents, and therefore the children there enumerated would not match the above list. The Thomas Hord enumerated above (in the post to which you respond) is the the Thomas [Eldridge] Hord enumerated in the 1850 and 1860 census reports of Ruthersford County, Tennessee including the children there listed and confirmed elsewhere as well. "Eldridge" is not authenticated as his middle name although it is the middle name of one of his sons.

This Thomas Hord of Ruthersford County, Tennessee first married to Mary Elizabeth McCulloch is the Thomas, s/o William Hord and Nancy Gibbons of Hawkins County, Tennessee, identified in the "Genealogy of the Hord Family" written by Rev. Arnold Harris Hord and published 1898 by J.B. Lippincott Company of Philadelphia (please refer to pages 67, 73 and 86). Thomas Hord of Ruthersford County, Tennessee is also identified as s/o of William and Nancy Gibbons Hord in "Tennessee Records" written by Jeanette Tillotson Acklen and published 1933 by Cullom and Ghertner of Nashville.

Apparently, this Thomas removed from Hawkins County prior to his marriage to Mary Elizabeth McCulloch which occurred on 3 Apr 1834 in Ruthersford County, Tennessee. His father, William, born in Virginia, moved to Hawkins County in 1791 where he remained except for a few years in Claiborne County (abt 1803-1813) until his death on 15 May 1825 in Hawkins County. Thus it appears that this Thomas was born in New Canton, Hawkins County...and was a brother of the Eldridge Hord who remained in Hawkins County.

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 12:30AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2006 9:46PM GMT
Thanks for the info! This Thomas of Hawkins also had a son named Eldridge age 3 in 1850. Eldrige Herd/Hord was head of another household. I feel fairly sure that these families are related. I have no connection to the Hord family, that I'm aware of. Just the Herd, Gray and McCullough families. Do you know which family lines your Gray and McCullough families were from?

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: HORD, MCCULLOCH
Actually, the McCulloch and Gray families are not part of my family lines because I descend from William Hord, brother of Thomas [Eldridge] Hord. Thomas [Eldridge] Hord was one of my 4xG Uncles. So, I have not researched McCulloch and Gray lines.

However, it appears that Miss Mary Elizabeth McCulloch was the daughter of Benjamin McCulloch, b. 1789 Lunenburg, County, Virginia and a Sarah who may be Sarah Caswell nee Lytle and that this McCulloch line goes back to Alexander McCulloch of Ireland. The Rev. Arnold Harris Hord in his book does not name the mother of Miss Mary Elizabeth McCulloch although he names Benjamin McCulloch as her father. On page 112 of that book, he writes that Benjamin McCulloch Hord was a cousin of Confederate General Benjamin McCulloch (killed at the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas).

The Benjamin McCulloch who was father of Miss Mary Elizabeth McCulloch was born 16 Apr 1789 and died 10 Aug 1847 at McMinnville, Warren County, Tennessee. He was a grandson of the Alexander McCulloch b. 1715 in Ireland.

With regard to the birthplace of Thomas [Eldridge] Hord it may have been Claiborne County because his father moved to Claiborne from Hawkins at some unknown date in 1802 (a search of land records might provide a clue to the date) while Thomas was born on 31 Aug 1802. The father, William, returned to Hawkins County in 1813.

Re: Hord family Hawkins Co., TN

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 12:48AM GMT
Thomas Epps Hord of Rutherford Co. was a son of William Hord and Nancy Gibbon of Hawkins Co. TN. They had 4 other children Stanwix v.1798,Eldridge b.1800(my gggrdfather), William 1807-41 no child, and Lucretia.
Epps(Eppes) was the maiden name of Nancy's mother, Anne Eppes.

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 10:15PM GMT
Hi, My name is Kaye Hoard Jennings. Do you know if William Hord b. 1764 was married twice. My Hord relation goes back to Thomas Hord b. 1805 married Frances. district 15 Hawkins co. Tn. Do you have any idea if they were related. I know William Hord's brother lived in Overton Co, Tn. but his doesn't seem to match ours either. Do you know if there was another brother or cousin that ended up in Hawkins co, tn? thanks for any help. Kayejennings@charter.net

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 3:40AM GMT
Do you know when William Hord and Nancy Gibbons marry? I think there may have been another William Hord from Hawkins Co. tn. that married Mary Kite From what I can find, the second William Hord lived in diistrict 15, Dodson Creek area. whose father was James Hord of Va. brother of Mordecai hord. There are several children born from 1791 until 1805 doesn't seem to be the William Hord' of New canton but has a father named William Hord. George, John,
Ambrose, Mary, Thomas, and James . Do you have any info. on this? I would appreciate any help. The Thomas of the second William would be my link. kayejennings@charter.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic