Search for content in message boards

Family search

Family search

Michelle Schribertschnig (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schribertschnig, Waltersdorfer
Hi I'm trying to find any relatives with either of the above surnames, as I have never met any of my family on my fathers side that are still living in Austria I am Australian born, Father was Herbert Schribertschnig and mother was Cornelia Maria Serofina Waltersdorfer both were born in Austria, Parents moved to Australia in either late 1969 or very early in 1970, the year of my birth

Re: Family search

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 2:47AM GMT
Michelle:

My name is Francisco Waltersdorfer. I am 46 years old and was born in Peru but I now I live with my wife and three children in Weston, Florida, USA. My grandfather Eugen emigrated to Peru in 1924; I don't have an exact evidence of where was he born but it seems to be somewhere between Hungary and Austria. He had two brothers, Manfred and Ignace, and two sisters, Sophia and Ilona. I would like to meet other members of my family: we are all around the world!!!

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 4:45AM GMT
Since one of the villages with the name Waltersdorf lies in Eastern Styria, near the historic border to Hungary, it is quite possible that your ancestors were form that region. The name Waltersdorfer means "from Waltersdorf" but might have stuck with your ancestors hundreds of years ago.

Go to the Austrian phone directory at www.etb.at to get an idea where the listed people with your name live today.

You would need to give us more evidence about what you know about the origin of your family in order to guide you to the right place and archives.

Francisco Waltersdorfer (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2002 8:00PM GMT
Fritz:

Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, I don't have more evidence to provide than the fact that my grandfather's maiden name was Reiner and his parents were Ignace and Sofia (not so sure about her name). He tried to contact his family through the Red Cross several times but it seems that the few links he had disappeared after WW II, as he came from a Jewish family. Hope this helps.

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 11:27PM GMT
The possibility that the Waltersdorfer family was Jewish makes the situation even more complicated. Perhaps they were from what was Western Hungary and is now partly Austria (state of Burgenland). Have you no vital documents at all of this family in your possession, or the possession of close relatives? Such as birth, marriage and death certificates?

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 12:42AM GMT
No. Unfortunately, the birth certificate or passport of my late grandfather were somehow lost. What is left is what my father remembers of what his father told him. What I have confirmed with my father is that my grandfather was bornin Hungary.

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 1:02AM GMT
It is very difficult. Is your father certain that his father was born to a Jewish family?

You could try to write to the current bearers of the name Waltersdorfer in Austria (see the phone directory I gave you the link to), and try to find whether they have a genealogist in the family who has collected data on the name.

Have you no relatives at all in the Waltersdorfer line? Your father needs to rack his brain for any geographical information he may remember from his father.

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 8:07PM GMT
Fritz:

Thanks for your help. Unforntunately, I don't have more information to provide. I will try to contact the Waltersdorfers of Austria to find out if they have information to share with me. Bad news is that I tried to contact other Waltersdorfers that I found in the Internet but they never answered my notes.

Happy New Year, let's keep in touch.

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 10:37PM GMT
With the little you have to go on, check the web site of János Bogárdi where he has computerized a "yellow pages" directory of shopkeepers and craftsmen of old Hungary of year 1890. The web site is at http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g079.shtml

Unfortunately, the name index does not appear to work right now, but you can enter the name Waltersdorfer into the search field. The result are 4 entries, of which two were in Budapest, one in Zala and one in Vas county. As you likely know, there are no Waltersdorfers listed in today's phone book of Hungary. Therefore, the four Waltersdorfers of 1890 could well have met your criteria of being from Western Hungary near the border with Austria and being Jewish. Many Jews moved to the cities such as Budapest and Vienna in the late 19th century.

To get the actual places where the two Waltersdorfers of Zala and Vas county lived in 1890 as well as their professions, you would need to pay a subscription fee .... the Bogárdi web site explains how to.

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 8:59PM GMT
Fritz:

Thanks for your support. I accessed Janos's website and found very exciting information. My parents are visiting for the holidays and my fahter was very excited when we found names which seem to match with what he heard from his dad. What do you suggest now? I also sent a note to Janos asking for suggestions on how to proceed.

Best regards
per page

Find a board about a specific topic