Search for content in message boards

finding father through DNA testing

finding father through DNA testing

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 3:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jan 2012 1:28PM GMT
I never knew who my father was and my mother is dead. I have had a DNA profile done on myself because I thought that a certain person was my father...he has also been dead for some time, so I did a DNA test with his daughter and it turned out not to be a match.

Anyone know is there any hope of me finding my dad through any DNA research testing? I've lived my whole life wondering. My mom actually killed herself in 1991 and I miss her terribly but I've always wondered about who my dad was...she didn't give much info, no name. Just told me he was married and he was a Minneapolis Police Officer.
Posted: 23 Jan 2012 3:47AM GMT
my email address is heidihunt67@rocketmail.com
Posted: 23 Jan 2012 5:20AM GMT
Do you have any other matches? It might just be that few close relatives have tested yet.

Re: finding father through DNA testing

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 1:29AM GMT
I sympathize with your position. My husband was adopted in Japan and only ever knew his mother's surname and approx age. He recently DNA tested and we've learned his probable father's surname, but he could be from anywhere. He also had a bunch of 3rd cousin matches and I've found 1 branch with mother's surname, but so far unable to contact anyone living. Maybe someday you will get lucky and a close match will test. At least you did know your mother.

Lynne
Posted: 24 Jan 2012 3:26AM GMT
I have only taken the one DNA test with his youngest daughter. I don't know how all this DNA stuff works or how you can trace your family. Do you know much about this or can you tell me how to do this?

My mom was Peggy Jean Berry, her parents were Martha Bennett and Howard Rice they are all from the Johnson City Tenn area.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 3:28AM GMT
Do you know how to do this searching??? I have no clue what I'm doing or even where to begin.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 4:29AM GMT
I know a little about YDNA (male) for genealogical purposes, but nothing much about mtDNA (female). I would talk to the service you had the DNA test done with and ask them what they might suggest. You may have to hire a professional.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 4:46AM GMT
Have you done traditional genealogical research on your mother's family? I search through a lot of ancestry.com trees. I'm assuming you did autosomal test to try to confirm the relationship with the person you thought might be half-sibling or cousin. Did you get any matches at 2nd or 3rd cousin level? If so, could contact those people and see if you can make connection with your mom's family. If not, could be related on dad's side. Maybe a police directory from when you were born (if your mom told you the truth about that... never know) Pretty tough no matter what you do. Cross fingers and hope someday a cousin tests.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 5:09AM GMT
Did you test with Ancestry.com? If so, the only test you could've taken was a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) test. If you tested elsewhere, like 23andMe or Family Tree DNA, you might've taken an autosomal DNA test.

An mtDNA test will only tell you about your direct maternal line. And it's not terribly useful for genealogy, except to disprove a common maternal ancestor. Perfect mtDNA matches might not share a common ancestor within hundreds or even thousands of years.

Does the potential sister share both the same father and mother? If she was your half sister, and you only share a father, you shouldn't expect to match mtDNA; you each inherited it from your respective mothers. On the other hand, an autosomal DNA test would easily be able to determine if you were that closely related.

Richard Hill has a free, useful DNA testing guide. To find his website, just google "DNA Testing Adviser".

Posted: 24 Jan 2012 4:13PM GMT
I just did a test where you swab the inside of your cheek and she did the same and it said if we were suppose to share the same father we were not related, but if we shared the same mother there was more of a chance that we were related?!? Didn't make much sense to me.

How could I go about searching my mom's family heritage? Her mother was Martha Louise Bennett and her father was Howard C. Rice, both were born in Tenn.

I hate to sound so ignorant but I don't know much about this ancestry stuff. LOL!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic