Search for content in message boards

Carrs' of Port Richmond /Fishtown section of Philadelphia,Pa

Carrs' of Port Richmond /Fishtown section of Philadelphia,Pa

Posted: 10 Mar 2004 7:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Jun 2005 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Carr-Kirkwood
I am the great grandson of Ellen Carr Kirkwood. Actually, her name was Mary Ellen Carr. She was born in Ireland about 1852 and wed Hugh Kirkwood in Ireland in 1868. On Dec10 1869,she gave birth to a daughter Mary Jane Carr in County Meath,Ireland.She arrived in this country in 1872-73 with her husband Hugh Kirkwood and her daughter Mary. They resided at 1820 E Passyunk Av in the Epiphany Parish in Philadelphia. My GGmdied in 1892 and her eldest daughter in 1884. The entire family is buried in New Cathedral cemetery except the youngest daughter Ellen Kirkwood,who may be buried in New Cathedral,but in the Car plot. Hugh died in 1925 while boarding in the 2600 block of E Gordon St. Ellen resided at the same address and died from lung cancer in 1941. The parishes in this area are St Annes and Holy Name. My GGf James Kirkwood was Mary Carrs son and he is buried in Holy Cross cemetery in their family plot. All of his siblings,except Ellen and him ;including bothparents are buried in New Cathedral. The consensus is Ellen Carr Kirkwood is buried somewhere in New Cathedral with the Carr family. Can anyone help? Jim

Re: Carrs' of Port Richmond /Fishtown section of Philadelphia,Pa

Posted: 11 Mar 2004 11:59PM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2009 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Carr, Browne
My great grandfather, Robert E. Carr (formerly McIlcar) and family are buried in New Cathedral Cemetery. They hail from the area south of Castlefin, Co. Donegal.They settled in at 2018 Cambridge St., opposite the south wall of Girard College. The only Mary buried in that plot is Robert's mother, Mary A. (nee BROWNE) Carr who was born in Gortnagrace, Co Donegal in c.1817 . At the time she died in Apr 1893 she was residing at 917 So. 23rd Street. My grandfather William J.raised his 11 childern in the 2400 block of No. 19th Street in Our Lady of Mercy Parish.

Posted: 12 Mar 2004 11:18AM GMT
Surnames: Carr/Kirkwood
Brian, thanks for the reply to my query. I think your relatives are too far to the west in Philadelphia. I think my GGms family would have had to settle in the parishes of Sts Anne or Holy Name. My quandry is- my family lived in S Phila in Epiphany parish from 1872 through the 1880 census period. Then in 1900 through 1925 they are in Fishtown,which in those days was a world away. The eldest child born in 1869 in Ireland,died in 1884 in S Philadelphia and is buried in New Cathedral. That is a great distance from where they lived in S Philly. They established their roots in S Philly and died in Fishtown,but where were they in the meantime. I am trying to find out whether or not my GGm had any other family that may have migrated to the US and they stayed near them. My GGf was born in Scotland and his siblings were in W Pa., so he is not the hold-up. These are my dads grandparents and there are all sorts of maladies in the history of this family that are too convoluted to get into here. The records in Ireland show Carr and I havent seen a name change on any "official documents" for my GGm .
I don't have any idea how devout they were religiously,but the only parishes around at that time were Holy Name and St Annes'. It's possible that Immaculate Conception was there,but I haven't found out anything,there.
Brian,again,thanks for the look up. If you should come across any Carrs from those areas,please keep me in mind. Thanks. JIM

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 3:42AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2006 10:39PM GMT
have a susan carr b. 7/3/1899 d. 7/29/1932 married walter peter rice b. 8/19/1896 shamokin, pa d. 6/3/1970 philadelphia, pa 19133. children: thomas fredrick, george emerick, catherine louise, walter peter jr., frances r. and helen marie. our family is from the fishtown, kensington area. i do believe that they lived on the 17oo block of howard st. are we connected by any chance. trying to do a family tree on my family which is the rice family. thanks

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 12:27PM GMT
Kathy, this is about as close as I've come to a connection in that area. I can't put dates to anything yet,though. This would be my fathers extended family, that I'm trying to trace. They came to this country in 1872-73;settled in S Philly on Passyunk Ave in Epiphany Parish. I have them there from 1872-1910 per the Census'. My GGM name was Mary Ellen Kirkwood(nee Carr). The entire family is buried in New Cathedral Cemetery in Juniata Park Section of Phila.,except my Gf who is buried in Holy Cross,with his wife. This is totally out of synch for these times, unless there was total reinterrment of the entire family,which is unlikely.
On the 1910 Census the surviving family members appear to live on the 2600 Block of E Gordon St and on E Norris St. House number is illegible. My GGF appears as a boarder. My GGM died in 1892 and some of her children predeceased her. The last one to die was my G aunt Ella/Ellen Kirkwood who died around 1941 from lung cancer. We have been trying to obtain funeral records from St Annes',Holy Name and Immaculate Conception Parishes,but no one seems to know anything. My contention is that MaryEllen Carr Kirkwood had family members in that neighborhood,who took care of her surving kids,after her death in 1892. Perhaps,they came over before or after she did. I know a family of Carrs that lived on Belgrade St,as I worked at NE Hospital with a Ray Carr and he had afew brothers and sisters,as well as a few children. I have not been able to contact any of them. Ray has since passed away,as has his sister with whom he lived on Cambria St,just off Kensington Av.
I have no idea of any Carrs outside of Philadelphia,but in this family history thing; all things are possible. Thanks for the information,and I'll keep it on file. JIIM

Posted: 5 Apr 2004 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Carr
I also have Carr descendants in the same area. My Carr's came from Ireland in the 1850s and settled in Schuylkill County. However, in 1910, Mary Carr Hurst moved to Philadelphia, leaving her daughter, Mary Hurst in Schuylkill Co. Young Mary later moved to Philadelphia around 1916 when she married. Other Carr family members also relocated to Philadelphia, though I have only been able to trace the female descendants, therefore they all have different last names. Many of the Carr descendant's in my family still live in the Port Richmond, Kensington area.

Posted: 5 Apr 2004 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Carr-Kirkwood
Karen, thanks for your reply to my query.
My GGM was Mary Ellen Carr Kirkwood. She seems to have preferred ellen or Ellie to Mary. She married my GGF Hugh Kirkwood in Ireland in 1868 or 69. Their eldest child Mary Jane was born in County Meath,Ireland in 1869. The family came to the US in 1873. Mary Jane died in 1884,while the family lived in S Philadelphia on E Passyunk Av.,she was 14. Is there a Carr-Kirkwood connection to your family? The last of Marys' and Hughs' children to pass away was Ellen Kirkwood,(she never married,as far as we know), in 1941. She was in her 40s. She died from some sort of cancer and is buried in the family plot in Old Cathedral Cemetery in the Juniata Park section of Phila. She lived on E Gordon St. in the Fishtown section of Phila.,at the time of her death.
To the best of my knowledge they were Catholic,though my GGF was a convert to Catholicism from Presbyterianism. He originally came to the US, as asmall child in 1855,with his parents and settled in W Pa,but I'm not sure where. And returned to Ireland as a seaman.
I have checked the local parishes in the area of Fishtown/Kensington, that I thought they would be a member of,but no luck,yet.
If you should come across a connection,please keep me in mind. Thanks. JIM

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 1:09AM GMT
my susan carr b. 7/3/1899 d. 7/29/1932 married walter peter rice b. 8/19/1896 shamokin, pennsylvania d. 6/3/1970 philadelphia, pennsylvania. i do know that walter is catholic as is my whole family. their children are thomas fredrick b. 11/8/1920, george emerick b. 10/30/1922, catherine louise b. 12/20/1923, walter peter jr. b. 9/5/1925, frances r. b. 8/8/1927 and helen marie b. 5/25/1929. i do know that susan died shortly after having a baby. i don't know what happened to the baby. if any of this helps, let me know. thanks

Posted: 7 Apr 2004 10:34AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2009 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: Carrs
Kathy, thanks for your reply to my inquiry. The dates do not seem to match. My GGM Mary Ellen Carr(went by Ellen Carr or Ellen Kirkwood) was born in 1853 in Ireland and died in S Philadelphia in 1892.She married Hugh Kirkwood,my GGF in Ireland in 1868. They had a child Mary Jane born in 1869. They emigrated to the US in 1873. Hugh was some sort of seaman and later went on to be a Naval machinist at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Mary Jane died in 1884 in Philadelphia. There were six children in this family. The last one to die was Ellen Kirkwood in 1941 of some sort of cancer. To the best of our knowledge she never married and was the caretaker of the family history. This is what got us to this point. My GGF was a convert to Catholicism,probably in Ireland and in order to marry my GGM. It is assumed (discretely),that this was a shot gun type wedding. It seems as though GGF did not like to sleep alone as it is assumed that he sired a few other children in Ireland.
The family settled in S Philadelphia but all relocated to Fishtown,a goodly distance away for the times.
Would you know what parish your family memeber belonged to? The information gives me another place to look,but the dates don't jive,just yet. Thanks again, for your help. JIM

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 12:03AM GMT
i beleive my uncle walter and his brother uncle will went to st. boniface church and some of my family went to st. michael's church at 2nd and jefferson sts. in philadelphia. i can tell you that my father, mother, sisters and brothers went to st. michael's church. my father's name is thomas francis rice jr. i will give you whatever information i can. let me know if you have any luck. thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions