Search for content in message boards

Skipped in the census?

Skipped in the census?

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 3:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
How likely is it that a family would have been skipped by census takers? I'm trying to track down one family who appears in the same place (same township, same county) in 1900 and 1920, but they don't appear anywhere in the county in 1910 (I've looked through page by page).

I guess they could have moved away and then come back to the same spot, but I find that unlikely. So my question is: could they have been missed for some reason? I first thought perhaps they were out of town when the census taker came by. Does anyone know what the procedure would have been in a case like that? Would the census taker have tried to get information from neighbors?

Re: Skipped in the census?

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 5:31PM GMT
ADMIN NOTE:

The boards are used by people from all over the world, so it helps enormously to provide a location, as well as the full names, birth dates and places.

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 2:53AM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2011 12:39PM GMT
I have found that in several of my families. The case could be that the name was spelled wrong by either the census taker or the transcriber. As well as you, I have searched census records page by page because the name may not be spelled correctly in census records and the search system does not find the family. I also have several of my families which I have never found in the 1870 census records in Walker County, Alabama. The census records may not be complete. I have found duplicate records and pages in Township 12 and 15 by looking at them page by page. . . so whether pages were not scanned I do not know but the families can be found in 1850, 1860, 1880 and 1900 but not in the 1870 census record for Walker County, Alabama.

Posted: 3 Feb 2012 4:41AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2012 4:45AM GMT
You asked the question...

"Would the census taker have tried to get information from neighbors?"

Can't answer that... but it reminded me of something...

If I can't find a family that settled in the same neighborhood ... decade after decade... I would often search for a "settled" neighbor or a family group living near the family in question.

On a few occasions, I was able to find the family I was looking for.

My biggest worry besides them being missed all together... is how they are going to be indexed...

I also subscribe to "Fold3"... and search for census records there, since the indexing is different... or better.... The indexing there is ongoing... but eventually it will be complete.

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 3:45AM GMT
Yes, the census taker could skip them. It happened to my grgrandparents in Everett MA. They are there in 1900, 1910, 1920, but missing in 1930 even though they lived in the same house during that time. The enumerator missed their address all together!They are enumerated in that same house in 1940. The census taker just skipped them in 1930. maybe they weren't home when he first came round and he forgot to follow up with a return visit. But they lived there and are not enumerated. So it does happen...not often, but it has happened.

Posted: 31 May 2012 2:18AM GMT
Thanks for all the replies.

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 12:50AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Smith
I have been living this situation for almost 10 years. Great grandfather, William Henry smith and his daughter, Eva are not on the 1930s census. I went through all listings for the most likely county in Kentucky that they lived in. All my hopes rested on the 1940s census....they dont show up there either. I know they were alive then. The other frustating part of the 1940s census concerns William's son, Paul Wayne and his family. I found a listing for a husband and wife that match birth year, etc, but the enumerater listed them as "Smith, ________" and "Smith, ______" AND didnt list their 4 yo son. A neighbor has a blank for the first name also. My assumption is that the info was obtained From a neighbor, even tho the x in a circle is next to the woman's listing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic